Concertina Building

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Henrik told us that he bought the bellows in from Marcus, but that the rest of the work was by him. I agree with you, Bill. Not only does it look like the work of a professional concertina maker, it looks like it even when held in your hands and subjected to the closest scrutiny.

Chris

Henrik,

The instrument looks brilliant. Indeed, it looks like something that had been made by someone who had been making concertinas for years.

Just curious, how hard was it to get the reeds?

--

Bill

Hi, Bill -

Thanks, I appreciate the kind words!

The reeds: very easy - I looked at Antonelli's site and decided for the "A mano" reeds, sent a mail (have a name if you need it) and asked if it was possible to get that exact (slightly unusual) set up of reeds, and pointed out that they were for a non-diatonic instrument. No problem, they sent me an invoice, I paid through my bank (as a private individual) and a couple of weeks later a small package arrived.

A curious thing I've noticed: when I play the instrument, I note a certain harshness (which I think I like) but when I listen to it in the hands of another, the sound is sweeter (to used an exact experssion :) ).

I am looking forward to a year from, when the reeds will be much more played in.

There is a thread somewhere (after I submitted some tunes on the Recorded Tunes Link page, with the Stagi miniature) where Mark Evans wonders how I get that "sweet sound" out of (such a low-end) instrument. So things will happen - I ought to record a tune now, and again next year...

/Henrik

Sorry - got carried away as usual...

Henrik,

The instrument looks brilliant. Indeed, it looks like something that had been made by someone who had been making concertinas for years.

Just curious, how hard was it to get the reeds?

--

Bill

Hi, Bill -

Thanks, I appreciate the kind words!

The reeds: very easy - I looked at Antonelli's site and decided for the "A mano" reeds, sent a mail (have a name if you need it) and asked if it was possible to get that exact (slightly unusual) set up of reeds, and pointed out that they were for a non-diatonic instrument. No problem, they sent me an invoice, I paid through my bank (as a private individual) and a couple of weeks later a small package arrived.

A curious thing I've noticed: when I play the instrument, I note a certain harshness (which I think I like) but when I listen to it in the hands of another, the sound is sweeter (to used an exact experssion :) ).

I am looking forward to a year from, when the reeds will be much more played in.

There is a thread somewhere (after I submitted some tunes on the Recorded Tunes Link page, with the Stagi miniature) where Mark Evans wonders how I get that "sweet sound" out of (such a low-end) instrument. So things will happen - I ought to record a tune now, and again next year...

/Henrik

Sorry - got carried away as usual...

Cool, I wonder how hard it would be to get a special order for diatonic reeds. I wouldn't mind giving the whole concertina making thing a try, but if I did, I would like to try a custom layout of the accidental row on a C/G Anglo (Basically a Jefferies layout with a push F# to replace the push D# on the right side). Alternately, I wouldn't mind obtaining the reeds to maybe update the reeds on my Marcus. It has a Wheatstone layout right now, but the more I play, the more I find I prefer the Jefferies layout...

--

Bill

How wonderful! And I mean that at several different levels.

1. Beautiful instrument! Well conceived and executed.

2. Tremendous documentation! Thoughtful and thorough.

3. Revelation of a process! Personable comments while sharing a tour de force.

Thank you so much for sharing, Henrick! You should be proud of your results, your documentation and the insight you have given all of us into the creation of the instruments we love. Wow! Anyone who reads your adventure will be now pick up their concertina with greater respect for the dedicated makers of these instruments.

Brilliant!

Greg

Cool, I wonder how hard it would be to get a special order for diatonic reeds.

--

Bill

I don't think you will have any trouble at all. But I was a little worried when I received the invoice:

post-448-1148677654_thumb.jpg

!?!?

But as we all know, they turned out to be chromatic :)

/Henrik

How wonderful! And I mean that at several different levels.

1. Beautiful instrument! Well conceived and executed.

2. Tremendous documentation! Thoughtful and thorough.

3. Revelation of a process! Personable comments while sharing a tour de force.

Thank you so much for sharing, Henrick! You should be proud of your results, your documentation and the insight you have given all of us into the creation of the instruments we love. Wow! Anyone who reads your adventure will be now pick up their concertina with greater respect for the dedicated makers of these instruments.

Brilliant!

Greg

Thanks for the praise, Greg - it really warmed, great payback from the effort!

The treacherous thing about concertinas, at least for my part (and maybe for some of you who have some sort of "make-things-to-high-precision"-background) is that it is so easy to look at the individual details and say: "Right, that one's easy... and that is only... and those are..." - a sort of construction hybris. Very easy trap to fall into (I have almost managed to crawled out again :D ).

I remember having an idea of getting the thing ready for the Arran meeting last year, ha, ha, ha! I just about managed to do it for the SSI this year!

/Henrik

Henrik,

my concertina exhibits this characteristic also. I have tentatively put it down to higher frequency sounds that are more easily lost in absorption, which is more likely to happen the further away the ear is. Happy to hear other theories...

Chris

No picture of the reeds inside?

I wonder how you arranged them?

Your work should be kept secret and closeted. Now I'm fighting off the urge. As though I have not enough chores already.

Hi, Michael -

You are right - so far there are no photos of the reeds' placement. That was merely a slip in the haste (during the last day's freneting fumbling before the deadline :) ) but there will be. When I come to correcting my mistake(s) in placing some of the reeds, I will add more exact photos (maybe a "Before"/"After"-series). And that will have to be soon - it gives of the most horrible sounds (e.g. dog with tail being stepped on) at times.

/Henrik

Henrik,

my concertina exhibits this characteristic also. I have tentatively put it down to higher frequency sounds that are more easily lost in absorption, which is more likely to happen the further away the ear is. Happy to hear other theories...

Chris

Chris, that's reassuring - as long as I know that it sounds OK in a listener's position, I don't bother.

/Henrik

• 5 weeks later...

Happy summer to all C.netters (winter to you down-unders)!

Quote from the thread "More Quality Concertina Makers Required":

http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=2718 has held my fascination, fantasy, awe and admiration for a while, and with over 6000 views I think there is more than a passing curiosity in people doing it themselves. Who knows where it might lead.

Thanks, Leo! Much appreciated!

I have noted, with a fascination, the view counter passing 6000! So it seems reasonable that I reveal what it will lead to (for the next few months, that is):

Right now, I am still struggling with rebuilding the instrument to make up for my mistakes. "Struggling" doesn't mean it's really hard, but more that I am annoyed with the fact that I have to go to work in the morning instead of cutting concertina levers out of 1mm brass plate...

So, here's the plan:

Get the instrument back in playable shape

Trim the cosmetics: laquer/polish of sides, polish of metal ends

Play tunes, tunes and tunes for a while

Make a couple of recordings

Maybe do a video spot - since the thaing is a modified EC, it may be a good idea to show it when played

Add a page to the web site, showing the fix for the mistakes.

Add the recordings/video to the site (Henk's web space, to be correct)

Add a page showing all jigs and tools made during the process

Add a "Credits" page - the project hadn't been possible without certain individual's kind cooperation

And for those, who want to see/feel/hear the thing:

I plan to be at the Bradfield Traditional Music Weekend, in August, and the following week at Eigse Mrs. Crotty in Kilrush.

See you there!

/Henrik

Well Done Henrik.

Both in making an instrument and providing interesting progress reports and pictures.

I look forward to seeing your concertina at the Bradfield Traditional Music Weekend.

Geoff Crabb

Hello, Geoff -

Thanks for the kind words. I certainly look forward to meet you in Yorkshire; I will be all ears!

/Henrik

• 2 weeks later...

Calling all c.netters...

After hours of gnashing of teeth, headbanging and finally some real work, my concertina is in playable shape again. This time without the "step-on-a-small, furred-animal's-tail"-sound on the Bb, B, A, and G# (I think... I prefer to forget :D ).

Looming in the horizon is the demand for harder springs - daily comparisons between the new (still has to have a name) and the miniature Stagi makes it clear that I have found the lower limit for soft action: I can't even touch the button I am about to press, without it going off. Too much of a good thing. So some sort of Bob Tedrow's spring jig comes to mind. And steel. And larger diameter. And one turn more.

Stop rambling... the fixing of mistakes is on screen 27 on my site.

/Henrik