Goodwill English Concertina

John,

Based on the precisely cut fret work and the ample gusset material I'd venture that this might be a concertina made and attributed to a man called "Tidder" who made English and anglo concertinas in 19th century London.

Stephen Chambers and others have posted on this forum concerning Tidder instruments and using cnet's search feature might prove fruitful for additional information.

Stylistically there are many similarities with his models both anglo and English with Lachenal but there are telltale differences. Along with the tight and precise fret work and luxurious gussets there is the end bolt head size and the apparent use of sheepskin for the bellows plus the bellows papers and the hint of what I can see from the thumb strap screw. They are all consistent with a Tidder instrument.

The Germans produced a similar English concertina. So there is a slight possibility in my mind that I could be wrong, but if this concertina was running in the Belmont for the title of Tidder I'd scrape up a few hundred and bet for a win.

Greg

Thanks very much for the info, Greg ... Interesting stuff. It seemed to be in decent shape ...

And yep, Matthew: EC in SE DC. (I chatted not too long ago with an artist at Eastern Market who brings a duet concertina with him to play a bit on the side. Fun to learn about it: I'd never seen one in person.)

And yep, Matthew: EC in SE DC. (I chatted not too long ago with an artist at Eastern Market who brings a duet concertina with him to play a bit on the side. Fun to learn about it: I'd never seen one in person.)

Huh, Hayden Duet concertina up in Ward 1; I had no idea there was any other Duet player in DC.

I still feel a bit guilty, musically, that I was dating a girl who was really interested in learning Duet (as in had heard of them and was considering it before even meeting me), but things didn't work out and I feel a bit bad that I missed my chance to convert another Duet player.