For sale: Dipper County Clare C/G

megmcd2

The classic 'bike market is healthy for exactly this reason, I'm told. If you get no interest on your money anyway, you can at least have some fun with it. (I can supply a highly desirable Matchless P11 to anyone wanting to invest in this particular field...)

Nice idea Dirge,

but I've done the classic bike bit and great though it was, second youth and all that, I think I'll stick to me bath chair and concertina, at my age.

Geoff.

Ah well, hope springs eternal...It is, of course, a bargain, if you need a late 60's desert racer. And surely everyone does?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Geoff, just don't take the concertina into the bath with you. Take Gaby.

Great night in Marrinan's Ennistymon tonight, playing with Tom Driscoll, Gay Casey, Robert Crosbie, Mark Davies, Welsh Jeff and others. Would be nice to see your face.

David

Edited by David Levine

Great night in Marrinan's Ennistymon tonight, playing with Tom Driscoll, Gay Casey, Robert Crosbie, Mark Davies, Welsh Jeff and others. Would be nice to see your face.

David

Hiding from the crazy Miltown crowd weren't you? ;-)

The classic 'bike market is healthy for exactly this reason, I'm told. If you get no interest on your money anyway, you can at least have some fun with it. (I can supply a highly desirable Matchless P11 to anyone wanting to invest in this particular field...)

Nice idea Dirge,

but I've done the classic bike bit and great though it was, second youth and all that, I think I'll stick to me bath chair and concertina, at my age.

Geoff.

Ah well, hope springs eternal...It is, of course, a bargain, if you need a late 60's desert racer. And surely everyone does?

Well sure...but I haven't even managed to get the Rapide started this year, and I fear a second piece of ancient British machinery (third, counting the Wheatstone) would put undue stress on my finances (and my wife). Also, no deserts in the Boston area (not that NZ is known for being arid either...).

jdms

Perhaps I missed the details above & if so, I'm sorry.

I'm just curious.

If the buyer was in the UK, how much would Shipping, Insurance, Import Duty and VAT! bump up that figure of 6,500 USD or should I say £4284!

Cheers

Dick

I'm just curious.

If the buyer was in the UK, how much would Shipping, Insurance, Import Duty and VAT! bump up that figure of 6,500 USD or should I say £4284!

Cheers

Dick

Unless someone can physically bring it to you... expect a 20% overhead for taxes, +150 pounds shipping/insurance... if it works anything similar to when I did buy an instrument from the UK!

David

Hi David,

sounds like a pleasant evening. Do people, on this board, know of Tom Driscoll, I wonder, or should we keep him a secret untill the "aprés Noel" fashion needs replacing ?

But please do say a big hello to all, I don't miss the rain, but I do the people.

Hope you sell that spare Jeffries,

cheers,

Geoff.

Edited by Geoff Wooff

Hello Dick,

Guillaume's estimates are indicative of my my own guesses.

Not being a UK resident, I only have indirect information re: the import/duty fees.

Don't forget about the fee for the transaction of foreign currency that is charged by the financial institutions for currency conversion.

This can run from as little as 2.5% if you have a good relationship with a primary national bank to as much as 6% or more (definitely more if you're using a credit card) when paying with a service such as PayPal.

A simple rule of thumb to estimate a total all-in cost might be to multiply the actual purchase price by 1.25 which should get you pretty close - but it could be as much as a factor of 1.3 depending on the transaction fees and the insurance rate and the speed of transit selected.

Hope this is useful.

Be Well,

Dan

Edited by danersen

I'm just curious.

Cheers

Dick

Shipping and insurance would be separate quotes. The purchase price of the instrument as declared on the documentation would have import duty of 3.7%. Then, VAT, currently 17.5% rising to 20% next January, would be charged on the total of purchase price PLUS the import duty! This is calculated on the sterling value, whatever exchange rate has been applied.

- John Wild

Edited by John Wild

Geoff, as you know, Tom Driscoll isn't a secret around here. I played with him and other old-timers last night in Kilshanny. There were about ten of us - including Mark Davies, who bought a house in Moymore, Roger Digby, Frank McNamara, Owen Collins and a few other you may know. I play with Tom quite a bit now. I sold him the "spare" Jeffries for exactly what I paid for it. Those who know Tom know that he deserves it.

It's been over a month now...Sold or not??

If it was mine it'd been up on ebay at least two weeks ago. Wanting to sell it to someone here at the forum rather than ebay might seem honourable enough but Meg has been clear about wanting to get as much as she can for it??

Confusing to me. It's not as if, after a week or two of notice here at C.net, members of the forum can't bid on ebay.

Set your opening bid and/or reserve properly and be done with it. And yes, set a Buy It Now at some 'realistically' high price. This does two things. It offers the chance to a "high roller" to buy immediately and end the auction. But,IMHO, a more important reason to offer a BIN is to light a fire under interested parties to place the opening bid in order to keep the high roller from snatching up the item. Once the opening bid is made the BIN disappears.

Good Luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Danerson, In response to your past posting (sorry for the delay):

Your argument sounds like all of those individuals who sincerely believed that my house won't diminish in value even though there are foreclosures all about -- My argument is that any prediction based on past sales are not determinative in every single instance. E.g., my house might go up in value because of unique factors (being next door to a prospective buyer's daughter's house, for instance, or being the only house in the neighborhood with a well-stocked bomb shelter).

Do you really think that a Dipper County Clare is in the same category as a Stradavarius? -- Relatively speaking, of course I do. Don't you think so? Colin is probably the foremost living concertina maker. He occupies a position similar today in our world to that of Stradivarius centuries ago. One could argue that Jeffries is the Stradivarius of our day and that Colin Dipper, Wally Carroll, and Jurgen Suttner are Amati, Guarneri, and Gagliano. The point remains that top-tier instruments hold their value since recessions and depressions don't affect the extremely rich as much as they affect most of the rest of us.

And, once again, for the record, I'm not kibbutzing. I'm not a potential buyer, nor do I know one. -- It is precisely because you are not a potential buyer that to comment on such proceedings is kibbitzing. Kibbitzing is when you are not one of the chess players but offer all sorts of advice that interferes with the game. We are all kibbitzing. Which is why kibbitzing, though it might be fun, is not allowed on the Chiff & Fipple buy-and-sell forum.

My Dipper/Stradivarius County Clare concertina has not yet been sold. The highest offer thus far has been US$6500. Sorry for my lack of attention to the status inquiries--it's harvest, canning, and fence-painting season here.

Do you really think that a Dipper County Clare is in the same category as a Stradavarius? -- Relatively speaking, of course I do.

I agree, and will add that in the scope of time that spans centuries, violins that are up to 150 years age difference are compared to each other. So in 2210, comparing an 1895 Jeffries with a 1995 Dipper could be likely, but Dipper's superior quality and artistry will be evident. A Jeffries would be close, but more like an Amati.

• 7 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...