Theme Of The Month For Jan 2014: American Fiddle Tunes

Jim Besser

The Yellow Rose is not the same as the song sung by - among others - Elvis

And yet, listen to the 3rd and 4th bars of the A section. Deep inside, they're the same tune at heart.

Hey Jim,

Great idea. BTW, you can thank Tommy Jarrell for that version of "Yellow Rose of Texas".

Shoulda known!

In my civil war dance band the singer does the original minstrel version. Yet another version, with pretty offensive lyrics, if I remember (we haven't done it in years).

I'm not overly familiar with American old time music so thanks to Jim for the list of suggestions. I had a listen to quite a few fantastic fiddlers on youtube yesterday before choosing to try my hand at "You Married My Daughter (but yet you didn't)".

I used the music from http://abcnotation.com/tunePage?a=www.colinhume.com/ABC.txt/0397 which seemed to match what I was hearing... except lacking the copious ornamentation.

Here's my version:

https://soundcloud.com/7wheels-1/you-married-my-daughter-but

Edited by Robert Fisher

Hi Robert,

I listened to your recording of "You Married My Daughter (but yet you didn't)" and noticed that the crooked rhythm in the B part that you play, while being an interesting variation, is not how the tune goes. The way we play it here in the US and how it is notated in your link makes it a standard 32 measure tune.

Also, Jim... unless you have a broader definition of Old-Time than most people who use the term... this great tune would fall more in the New England or Quebecois camps. Sorry to quibble about definitions, but in your fine list of tunes, this one seems to stand out as being different.

Hi Robert,

I listened to your recording of "You Married My Daughter (but yet you didn't)" and noticed that the crooked rhythm in the B part that you play, while being an interesting variation, is not how the tune goes. The way we play it here in the US and how it is notated in your link makes it a standard 32 measure tune.

Also, Jim... unless you have a broader definition of Old-Time than most people who use the term... this great tune would fall more in the New England or Quebecois camps. Sorry to quibble about definitions, but in your fine list of tunes, this one seems to stand out as being different.

I think you're right on that, Jody. My excuse is that I learned it from an oldtime fiddler, and around here it often gets put in medleys of oldtime tunes.

Well, it certainly is one of the great "American Fiddle Tunes" (to quote your thread title).

As someone else pointed out, the thread title is confusing. I tend to use "fiddle tunes" and "oldtime" interchangeably, which is undoubtedly a mistake. Perhaps "oldtime" is a subset of "fiddle tunes."

But the point here is to pay great tunes, not argue about definitions, and I'll shut up now and get ready to record another one I bet even you haven't heard before, Jody!

Maybe sometime we'll do a Theme of the Month focusing on New England and/or French Canadian tunes.

Edited by Jim Besser

Here's an obscure one.

Labeled "Woodchoppers Breakdown" in a collection of N. Carolina fiddle tunes, with an unknown fiddler wielding the bow.

But it's not the commonly played (at least on the East Coast of the US) tune by the same name.

Jody, have you heard this? Any info on it?

I used to play regularly with an oldtime fiddler who just loved this tune. "It's so darned cute," he's say every time we played it.

https://soundcloud.com/concertinist/woodchoppers

Hi Robert,

I saw a few different notated B parts and quite liked the crookedness of the version I chose. The tied quavers in the middle of the bar produce a strong sincapation that I found difficult to play. I can't relisten to my version here at work, so have to rely on your judgment that I didn't get it quite right... call it artistic licence.... or call it sloppy (my wife would :huh:). As someone who is both learning to play concertina, and learning about music at the same time I appreciate the feedback, and will paste this tune into my scrapbook so that I can work on it - perhaps with a metronome.

If anyone can point out where I'm going wrong - which notes are being shortened/lengthened - that would be great.

So I listened to a whole lot of 'Old-Time' tunes and my standout favourite was the one fraud... woops. Perhaps I should have just played Simple Gifts and been damned ^_^.

Edited by Robert Fisher

If anyone can point out where I'm going wrong - which notes are being shortened/lengthened - that would be great.

I've just had a chance to listen to my recording, and compare it with the Midi file generated from the abc and I can hear where I've gone wrong... slowing down for the bits I found hard.

I've never bothered listening to the Midi version of tunes before, perhaps I should do it more often.

I will keep the tune, and wheel it out again when I get a chance (with improved B section). But now I fear I must have a go at Josefins Dopvals.

This month's Theme of the Month, and Tune of the Month, too:

At last night's "Irish" session in Helsingborg, Sweden (about 4 km/2½ miles across the water from my apartment in Denmark) we didn't just play Irish, but several "old timey" tunes, as well. Then at one point the fellow with his recently acquired Jeffries anglo began a lovely arrangement of Josefins Dopvals, and gradually we all joined in (anglo, English, fiddle, guitar, and "bouzouki").

Oh, how I wish I'd had something to record it all with! :(

(Posted also in this month's Tune of the Month thread.)

Here's a tune from my part of the world that I used to play on guitar, with fiddlers who just loved hitting the note that gives the tune its name: Quince Dillon's High D Tune. Some fiddlers like to slide up to that note, a real oldtimey sound. Not easily done on concertina!

https://soundcloud.com/concertinist/quince-dillon-besser-mp3-mp3

It's an easy tune except for the three repeated notes at the beginning of phrases in the A part, which I can never hit properly when I'm tired or when I've had too much beer.

Here's some information about the tune's origins.

http://www.alanjabbour.com/photos_quince_dillion_grave.html

And a clip of some not old oldtimers playing it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8lIRQ8G4xE

Edited by Jim Besser

Here's a tune from my part of the world that I used to play on guitar, with fiddlers who just loved hitting the note that gives the tune its name: Quince Dillon's High D Tune. Some fiddlers like to slide up to that note, a real oldtimey sound. Not easily done on concertina!

I believe it can be done to some extent - not through bending but engaging two or three notes, at least that is what came to my mind once giving "Lonesome John" a try, to be heard from my recording. Am still working on both the tune and the effect...

Nice recording of a fine tune, and U know I love the Mixolydian mode...

Edited by blue eyed sailor

I believe it can be done to some extent - not through bending but engaging two or three notes, at least that is what came to my mind once giving "Lonesome John" a try, to be heard from my recording. Am still working on both the tune and the effect...

Nice recording of a fine tune, and U know I love the Mixolydian mode...

I've tried a kind of slur - it works, but it just doesn't have the oldtimey sound of a slide on the fiddle.

Maybe Jody or Bertram have some suggestions!