Tune Of The Month, Jan. 2015: Halsway Carol Schottische

Jim Besser

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all,

I am concertina beginner since last summer.

My concertina is a 30 button Clover C/G Anglo.

I really enjoy to read in this forum and also about the TOTM during the last 3 month.

May be that I am a little bit crazy to add my recording here, after listening to all the very professional played tunes above ( and Nigel Eaton posted something too )!

But Jim wrote something about „feel free“ and „all level“ and so here is my first very, very, beginner attempt:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s17ffqklipizyfs/Halsway-Schottische.mp3?dl=0

I would be happy to get some beginner tips so that my playing ( and my old school english ) will become better step by step.

Elke

nicely done elke, your link worked fine for me, rock on!!

Hi all,

I really enjoy to read in this forum and also about the TOTM during the last 3 month.

May be that I am a little bit crazy to add my recording here, after listening to all the very professional played tunes above ( and Nigel Eaton posted something too )!

But Jim wrote something about „feel free“ and „all level“ and so here is my first very, very, beginner attempt:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s17ffqklipizyfs/Halsway-Schottische.mp3?dl=0

I would be happy to get some beginner tips so that my playing ( and my old school english ) will become better step by step.

Elke

Ah, problem solved ; it wouldn't open in Firefox, but opened fine in Chrome.

In any event, nicely done! Steady and clean. I like it! And welcome.

Good and carefull playing Toffie,

for such a short time on the concertina your approach is very positive.

As you asked for beginner tips how about this simple way to improve your performance:

Try either to use a Metronome or tap your foot (both feet perhaps) and play the whole tune keeping in the same rhythm (Pace, Beat or whatever you wish to call it) . At the moment you are playing each section sort of seperately and slowing down a little towards the ends as you anticipate the next section (or phrase).... this will help you through the slight feeling of syncopation that happens with this tune at the commencement of the second part.

Congratulations on taking a very brave stance and posting a recording so early in your concertina playing career ! :)

Geoff.

Edited by Geoff Wooff

Here's my first attempt...

(having recorded just two takes (with the first one being slightly more accurate, but with some chords too massive)

... and I hope, the valued Mr Tallship will talk to me again now (mean it., Pete)!

Best wishes - Wolf

Just got around to listening to your version, Wolf. I love it. Your use of chords is more sparing, so that the melody comes through nicely.

Sehr schön gespielt.

Chris

(having recorded just two takes (with the first one being slightly more accurate, but with some chords too massive)

... and I hope, the valued Mr Tallship will talk to me again now (mean it., Pete)!

Best wishes - Wolf

Just got around to listening to your version, Wolf. I love it. Your use of chords is more sparing, so that the melody comes through nicely.

Sehr schön gespielt.

Chris

Thanks a lot for this, Chris, as I'm really glad about apparently having been able to follow your good advice here..., and of course glad that my playing this (against my own initial expectations) appealing tune is liked and listened to since sharing is what's music's all about, isn't it?

Best - Wolf

Thanks to all to welcome me here in this forum and for your kind comments.

I do not know how to place citations:

Thanks you Geoff

for your tip with tapping my foot ( or both feet ) in the right beat. I tried it sometimes before, but after a while my foot beat changed into my ( wrong ) concertina playing rhythm :D ! So I have to practise it more often or buy a Metronome.

At the moment my steady beat depends also on: How fast do I find the right button :lol: !

Thanks to all Elke

Best wishes - Wolf

Sehr schön gespielt.

Chris

Thanks a lot for this, Chris, as I'm really glad about apparently having been able to follow your good advice here..., and of course glad that my playing this (against my own initial expectations) appealing tune is liked and listened to since sharing is what's music's all about, isn't it?

Best - Wolf

Yes, Wolf. Playing for one's own pleasure and also sharing it for the hopeful benefit and liking of others is one of the main reasons I took up learning to play a musical instrument in the first place. We all have our personal likes and dislikes when it comes to tunes and arrangements and what sounds good and appealing, or not, as the case may be. IMHO, the type of traditional tunes we enjoy learning and playing on the concertina, are composed for the melody in the main but light accompaniment can sometimes enhance the result, when playing solo, as in your playing of the Halsway, where the tune lends itself nicely to the addition of certain strategically placed chords. Simplicity is often the key to a more pleasurable listening experience. Less can mean more, because the listener can only absorb so much at one time. Keep up the good work and let the melody shine through!

Chris

Toffie, on 23 Jan 2015 - 2:15 PM, said:

Hi all,

Elke

Ok this it - deep breath..... firstly, well done Toffie and an inspiration for all of us to contribute no matter where we are on the musical path - so much so, that even though I sort of set myself a new year's resolution to post at least one tune this year, I knew I would never do it. But you have prompted me to have a go and given the poll for next month is already upon us - time is running out fast for this month, so I thought yes stop the DIY and record this tune.

If only it was that easy - oh boy - you think you know a tune, but try recording it - if that was not a difficult enough hurdle to get over, then play it back and hear even more mistakes :-( I realise I always fluff the start of the B section by missing a beat. And then there is the right hand chords - I can only seem to snatch at a chord, rather than get any fluidity. This appears to be a very easy tune, it isn't and requires a lot of thought and in my case much more practice - it is a beautiful tune, so please forgive my rubbish recording, but I do feel I should post it if only to encourage other people to have a go. If the purpose of totm is to learn, then for me I have learnt more in really trying to play this tune correctly than for many many a month of pretending I learnt the TOTM. I prefer this tune on the C/G rather than G/D - so settled for the quiet and clackety old 20 key lachenal...........

Toffie, on 23 Jan 2015 - 2:15 PM, said:
Hi all,
Elke

Ok this it - deep breath..... firstly, well done Toffie and an inspiration for all of us to contribute no matter where we are on the musical path - so much so, that even though I sort of set myself a new year's resolution to post at least one tune this year, I knew I would never do it. But you have prompted me to have a go and given the poll for next month is already upon us - time is running out fast for this month, so I thought yes stop the DIY and record this tune.
If only it was that easy - oh boy - you think you know a tune, but try recording it - if that was not a difficult enough hurdle to get over, then play it back and hear even more mistakes :-( I realise I always fluff the start of the B section by missing a beat. And then there is the right hand chords - I can only seem to snatch at a chord, rather than get any fluidity. This appears to be a very easy tune, it isn't and requires a lot of thought and in my case much more practice - it is a beautiful tune, so please forgive my rubbish recording, but I do feel I should post it if only to encourage other people to have a go. If the purpose of totm is to learn, then for me I have learnt more in really trying to play this tune correctly than for many many a month of pretending I learnt the TOTM. I prefer this tune on the C/G rather than G/D - so settled for the quiet and clackety old 20 key lachenal...........

Thanks for jumping in! A very promising start to your recording career. There's some extra beats in the B part, it seems to me, and it could use some smoothing out, but you're definitely on your way.

I know the first few times are intimidating, and there's nothing like the blinking red light of the recorder to raise blood pressure.

But there are very few concertina 'professionals'; each in our own way, we are all learning and having fun. Participating in the TOTM is a great spur to learning, no matter what your level.

So thanks again!

Not sure if this has been posted here before but I have come across a sweet version of this tune played by Sqwzbx on his 20 button Jones anglo, still in its original philharmonic pitch, A450, tuned meantone. It is one of my favourite versions! Here is the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qcUzQUuy9E

Chris

Edited by Chris Drinkwater

Hi derekc,

I was very amused, while reading your post :D !

If only it was that easy - oh boy - you think you know a tune, but try recording it - if that was not a difficult enough hurdle to get over, then play it back and hear even more mistakes :-(

The same happened to me :lol: !

...but I do feel I should post it if only to encourage other people to have a go. If the purpose of totm is to learn, then for me I have learnt more in really trying to play this tune correctly than for many many a month of pretending I learnt the TOTM.

That is exactly what I thougt and gave me the courage to post my record. I have really learnt al lot this month :).

Thank you and happy squeezing in february

Elke

Edited by Toffie