Advice For A Newbie On A Budget

LDT

I'm sorry to say, it doesn't sound like yours is such. It does look good though, but who cares?

:( How sad.

Don't let the curmudgeons bring you down LDT--I'm sure you like your instrument just fine, as of course you should. It takes many years of playing concertina for one to become so curmudgeonly (I guess :unsure:) , so be thankful that you aren't so hard to please yet.

some curmudgens don't understand the phrase 'minimum wage' 'credit crunch' and 'bills to pay' ;)

its only a stop gap one anyway so I can learn while I save for a better one. Its like I had a cheap mp3 player to tide me over till I could afford a better one.

If I'm not mistaken, buzz occures when, either, as Steve pointed out, a reedplate is loose, or a reed tongue is touching the side of a slot.

It's very hard to be sure what's going on without examining the instrument, but as ladydetemps has since said "I closed the concertina up completely then opened again and the buzz dissapeared. But then last night it buzzed of a different button. I seem to have a :o phantom moving buzz", I wonder if it might be the plastic valves that are causing the buzz, and they may simply settle down by themselves... :unsure:

Well I tried it last night and the buzz was on a different button but so quiet I could hardly hear it. So maybe your right and its the buttons.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

some curmudgens don't understand the phrase 'minimum wage' 'credit crunch' and 'bills to pay' ;)

So you would prefer to toss money on the worthless piece of junk then?

It's been discussed before. There is a good chance you will not be able to hold on till better instrument comes your way. Your concertina may simply desintegrate and fixing it will be as costly as Rochelle.

So you got one at $150(?), why not used Rochelle at $250?

It sounds to me it wasn't the price, but as you said, you liked it and bought it on the spot. But you didn't know a good one from bad, and acted regardless of good advice provided here. Don't let "Feel Good, You'll Do Fine" friends to bring you down either. Use reason. The difference of $100 brings you $1000 worth of improvement, why turn it down?

So you would prefer to toss money on the worthless piece of junk then?

yep. :P what's the point of wasting a good instrument on a bad player.

So you got one at $150(?), why not used Rochelle at $250?

not dollars, it was £160. I don't buy anything secondhand. (you never know where its been or if its nicked)

It sounds to me it wasn't the price, but as you said, you liked it and bought it on the spot. But you didn't know a good one from bad, and acted regardless of good advice provided here.

are you saying the sales person lied to me!? ;)

anyway I don't want an argument. I'm just a insignificant youth. I'll go hide under a rock again, and cry myself to sleep.

Edited by LDT

Hi LDT,

congrats on starting on the Anglo & I know you're going to have lots of fun with it.

Don't worry about the doom-mongers, they mean well but I don't think they realize how their comments are likely to make a new player feel. You'll get some who'll give you chapter & verse of what you should do as if it is written in stone somewhere - certainly if I'd listened to half the stuff posted on here when I started, I'd never have bothered.

There's no doubt that the Rochelle is the best of this price band and pound per pound the best value, but lots of people have started off on boxes of the quality of your one, or in my case - far worse quality. You might encounter problems with your box, but then when I moved to a Rochelle I had a few niggles with that - such is life with Concertinas. I started on two boxes both of which were of significantly less quality than yours, but you know what? Despite all the prophesies of doom - I got through, they didn't fall apart, I had almost no problems - certainly no significant ones, I did manage to learn a lot, I didn't lose any fingers, and I did manage to sell them for a decent amount when I finished with them.

You've asked for advice & you've made a choice you seem happy with, so good for you. If it goes well - enjoy it, if it doesn't - use your guarantee with Hobgoblin.

Best of luck

- W

congrats on starting on the Anglo & I know you're going to have lots of fun with it.

thank you :)

Don't worry about the doom-mongers, they mean well but I don't think they realize how their comments are likely to make a new player feel. You'll get some who'll give you chapter & verse of what you should do as if it is written in stone somewhere - certainly if I'd listened to half the stuff posted on here when I started, I'd never have bothered.

I always seem to rub someone up the wrong way :unsure: Don't know why. Maybe its my laid back attitude. ;)

There's no doubt that the Rochelle is the best of this price band and pound per pound the best value, but lots of people have started off on boxes of the quality of your one, or in my case - far worse quality. You might encounter problems with your box, but then when I moved to a Rochelle I had a few niggles with that - such is life with Concertinas. I started on two boxes both of which were of significantly less quality than yours, but you know what? Despite all the prophesies of doom - I got through, they didn't fall apart, I had almost no problems - certainly no significant ones, I did manage to learn a lot, I didn't lose any fingers, and I did manage to sell them for a decent amount when I finished with the
m.

It hasn't fallen apart on me yet. And the buzzing has almost dissapeared now. And it didn't bother me that much anyway. What type did you start off with?

... I wonder if it might be the plastic valves that are causing the buzz, and they may simply settle down by themselves... :unsure:
Well I tried it last night and the buzz was on a different button but so quiet I could hardly hear it. So maybe your right and its the buttons.

lady d t,

No the valves are nothing to do with the buttons, they're the plastic flap thingies next to the reeds inside. They're there to ensure that all the air pressure is going through the reed that is being played, and not escaping through the back of the one in the opposite direction, that isn't. But if they're a bit stiff, or sprung up, they can sometimes start vibrating as "beating reeds" themselves and interfere with the playing reed, or buzz - which may be what's happening, and it can cure itself. It may be more of a "playing-in" issue than something that needs fixing, but it's hard to say at this remove.

Sure, haven't we all heard the old adage "As honest as a salesman's patter"?

No? :rolleyes:

But if they're a bit stiff, or sprung up, they can sometimes start vibrating as "beating reeds" themselves and interfere with the playing reed, or buzz - which may be what's happening, and it can cure itself. It may be more of a "playing-in" issue than something that needs fixing, but it's hard to say at this remove.

well the buzzing seems to be deminishing . But only time will tell I suppose.

Sure, haven't we all heard the old adage "As honest as a salesman's patter"?

No?

I'm so gullible aren't I? ;)

It takes many years of playing concertina for one to become so curmudgeonly (I guess :unsure:) ...

Actually, Misha has only been at it for three years ;)

He/she is a quick study, then ;) ..

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

What type did you start off with?

First a colourful blue & yellow Brunner 20 button, and then a Stephanelli 30 button. I wouldn't recommend either of them, the Rochelle is far far better, yet I made good progress with both and they served me well.

The Brunner I bought for about £85 and sold 3 years later for £40. I bought the Stephanelli for £120 and sold it 2 years later for £100.

It takes many years of playing concertina for one to become so curmudgeonly (I guess :unsure:) ...

Actually, Misha has only been at it for three years ;)

He/she is a quick study, then ;) ..

But, to be fair, he has been through this whole "beginners instrument" thing during that time, and is speaking (if perhaps rather over-enthusiastically :rolleyes: ) from personal experience.

My own recent experience of this would be more from the point of view of selling and repairing the darned things - and you can get very frustrated with trying to fix the unfixable... :angry:

What type did you start off with?

I know the question wasn't asked of me, but when I started out the choices were far fewer. The only "beginner" new instruments available in the early '70s were the cheap East German "Scholer" brand 20-keys, in red or yellow (single or double-reeded, respectively), and the rather more expensive Bastari 48-key English that was introduced around that time (though not yet any "Anglos"), but vintage instruments were perhaps easier to find (though not that easy - there were no "dealers" in them then!), so I started off on an 1890s 48-key Wheatstone (that I thought was a Lachenal because it had no label, and looked similar to one) bought for £20 through advertising in the local newspaper. It was actually better than I realised at the time, and I wish I'd never swapped it (as a "Lachenal") with Neil Wayne... :(

I know the question wasn't asked of me, but when I started out the choices were far fewer. The only "beginner" new instruments available in the early '70s were the cheap East German "Scholer" brand 20-keys, in red or yellow (single or double-reeded, respectively), and the rather more expensive Bastari 48-key English that was introduced around that time (though not yet any "Anglos"), but vintage instruments were perhaps easier to find (though not that easy - there were no "dealers" in them then!), so I started off on an 1890s 48-key Wheatstone (that I thought was a Lachenal because it had no label, and looked similar to one) bought for £20 through advertising in the local newspaper. It was actually better than I realised at the time, and I wish I'd never swapped it (as a "Lachenal") with Neil Wayne... :(

£20 in the 70's what would that be nowdays? :)

I'll open it up as a question everyone.

What was your first concertina? (Now I'm going to find out how much you really spent on a first instrument) ;)

One thing with the reeds is that it may take them a little while to settle down after being moved a distance or after a big change in temperature or humidity.

My Rochelle had a horrible buzzing reed in my parents' house in Florida, but sounded ok in Maryland before and after.

LDT. Don't be discouraged. I guess that for obvious reasons we all probably started on cheap and cheerful instruments with limitations of one sort or another. Mine was a smart new little 20 key Anglo for which I gave a 'fiver' in the Charing Cross Road back in the mid 1970's. It was in the window....love at first sight. I had no end of fun on it but was very soon aware of it's limitations. I was hooked and soon saving hard for something better Think of it as an opportunity to discover if you have sufficient natural aptitude and enthusiasm to wish to proceed further, but take your time. One of these days I shall expect to see your name in lights.

...worthless piece of junk...

I learned a long time ago from a wise person not to trash people's instruments...because they're people's instruments. YMMV

Edited by catty

Mine was a smart new little 20 key Anglo for which I gave a 'fiver' in the Charing Cross Road back in the mid 1970's. It was in the window....love at first sight.

Was that in Scarth's by any chance? Though they were a general music shop, they did usually have concertinas in stock, and not just ones for a fiver either. I remember them offering me a brand-new 20-key Wheatstone around that time, and I had a 48-key English with matt black plastic "ebony" ends, that had been made for them by Harry Crabb, through my hands along the way.

Sadly the place was pulled down, for a new development, years ago. :(

Depending on what he said.

I personally wouldn't expect a Hobgoblin salesperson to lie, but saying half truth - possibly.

Now, you may listen to fellows, who will "encourage" you on anything. If you fail, they will not bother to notice, nor will take any blame for false encouraging. It's like saying to someone teasing a sleeping bear with a stick: "Yea, go for it". What's the use of advice, if you don't stand by it?

Most of people, who started with plywood junk (yes, Catty, someone's instrument, that is piece of junk, is , unfortunately, piece of junk), didn't have any options. I had two Schoolers myself, but mostly for repair practice. Nowadays you have excellent option, by all means, use it.

Now, I've been fixing accordions on and off for some 10 years. I've been buying somebody's junk and restoring them. Then selling back on ebay. Never made much money, but learned a bit. My last accordion adventure was two chromatics, old Weltmeister and ancient Paolo Soprani. Paolo was a disaster, but Weltmeister brought me some $600 profit in trade-in.

My last concertina shtick was re-gapping Jack, springing-up (or spring-upping) a few low reeds' plastic valves to stop growling noise at low pressure, and, imagine, fixing the buzzing reeds by slightly centering them in the slots. It took some trial and error but in the end even my Jack was sounding OK and not so slow. But the sound quality, action, longevity, tightness all are very good. I recently tried my old Jackie and it compared very favorably with my $3000 Lachenal.

My first diatonic was Chinese made 2 row in G/C Parrot from Lark in the Morning for $350. I thought it was used, so badly out of tune it was. It took a few months and some $200 to fix it up and it served me well for 3 years. Lark in the Morning of San Francisco is gone, by the way.

P.S.

Concertinas is not your usual "somebody's trouble". Used Jackie is excellent value compared to brand new Chinese monstrocities with Italian names.

Mine was a smart new little 20 key Anglo for which I gave a 'fiver' in the Charing Cross Road back in the mid 1970's. It was in the window....love at first sight.

Was that in Scarth's by any chance? Though they were a general music shop, they did usually have concertinas in stock, and not just ones for a fiver either. I remember them offering me a brand-new 20-key Wheatstone around that time, and I had a 48-key English with matt black plastic "ebony" ends, that had been made for them by Harry Crabb, through my hands along the way.

Sadly the place was pulled down, for a new development, years ago. :(

May well have been Scarths. A little shop on the left hand side going north. They always had a good selection of attractive looking banjos in the back room but I never had the courage or the money to do anything about it.... and it looked a good place for penny whistles and mandolins....in so far as I remember. I probably discovered the shop during my school days in the early 1950's.