Rare H Boyd Concertina For Sale

H Boyd Concertina

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Randy Merris. aka dowright on these forums, is an authority on Lachenal serial #s. Randy has collected close to five thousand Lachenal serial #s and some have confirmed production or sale dates. He can usually give a VERY educated "guess" as to when a particular Lachenal was made.

I can think of at least two cnet members in North Carolina eminently qualified to help with taking off the end of the concertina and finding a serial # on the Boyd Lachenal. One is in the Raleigh area and the other closer to Asheville. (H Boyd can contact me if she would like their assistance)

If anyone has a Lachenal # they'd like to contribute to Randy's research or needs a date on a Lachenal instrument serial # I'm sure Randy would like to hear from you.

Greg

This link to a PDF of a "Concertinists Guide" dated circa 1888, held in the Bodleian Library, features information about Harry Boyd's concertinas, among others, on page 11 and is worth a look.

http://www.concertina.com/maccann-duet/Maccann-Concertinists-Guide.pdf

Chris

Edited by Chris Drinkwater

Thank you to members of the forum for your interest, kind words, and information. When the concertina sells, I will be happy to make a memorial donation in honor of Gene Hubert to c.net. Jenny

Reduced Price:

Buy it now at 3575.00

http://www.ebay.com/...-/191614285982? *updated link* 6/28/2015

Edited by H Boyd Concertina

This is my dream concertina! Perfect for loud outdoor playing in a band. It would be a big upgrade from my bone buttoned Lachenal. Sadly I am flat brook right now. Best wishes for the sale. If it doesn't sell quickly or you are willing to save it for me I can promise to purchase it from you late Sept. or Oct. Thanks, John (fernie_view).

Probably not such a good idea to exclude the biggest part of the concertina-community by limiting it to the US...

Sending concertinas around the world is quite common these days!

I live in Germany - and most players in GB - though I am not personally concerned, as I own a fine Wheatstone-Boyd ;-)

Dear "Jenny"-H Boyd, I hope you will not be discouraged if this concertina does not have any takers the first time introduced. I think most players have to ruminate a little about these significant purchases. And if the fit is right--said concertina images dance in their brains until they can't stand it any more and they cave and start scrapping funds together (things like: selling first born, homes, autos) I believe a lot of concertina sales take beyond a year to complete. I would also suggest it does not hurt to re-list here in these forums periodically just to remind members that it is still available. What someone was not interested in 2 years ago, might now, today, make perfect sense..... Just some encouraging thoughts...

Thank you conzertino and Shelly for your insights. I appreciate the words of encouragement Shelly, and it does make sense that a significant purchase such as this takes time. I have time. This beautiful concertina is relisted on ebay.

*updated link* 6/28/2015

http://www.ebay.com/...-/191614285982?

If a member of this forum not in the US wants to purchase this instrument, please send me a personal message with an offer. I am not familiar with shipping overseas and the requirements for duties and fees to other countries, so shipping costs, duty, or any additional fees for selling to countries outside of US would be the buyer's responsibility. Paypal payments would have to be paid in full for the entire deal. Will only ship to a paypal confirmed address.

Jenny

Looks like this concertina is going to travel 3000 miles and end up in Western Canada! I am sure that no one could possibly ever value this instrument more than I will! I will take great care of it. It will be my main instrument until I can afford and find a Boyd Wheatstone Aeola and with my little money that is not likely to happen for a very, very long time! But I am a musician and I will play this instrument with heart and soul! I have been researching the life of Gene Hubert. Wow! There are even YouTube videos showing his dances! He left quite a legacy. Thanks Jenny!

4to5to6, "John",

I believe it is premature for you to declare that this instrument is yours. The deal is not done until I get paid, and that has not happened. It is my understanding that you have a downpayment on another instrument and you have also declared intent to purchase this instrument but can only purchase one. Please respect my right to declare that my Boyd Concertina is sold when I have been paid. That is just the correct way to do business.

Thanks,

Jenny

http://www.ebay.com/...-/191614285982?

Jenny, I don't think you are being very fair here. Just for your peace of mind: John has payed me in full for a rosewood-ended Lachenal - before you announced that you would sell your lovely Boyd outside the US! As I want him to be totally happy with his new concertina, I have let him know that I will immediately pay his money back, if he asks me to!! So please accept his word!

RE: As I want him to be totally happy with his new concertina, I have let him know that I will immediately pay his money back, if he asks me to!!

And, THIS is an extraordinary way to conduct business!

Bravo, Robert!

Edited by danersen

Thanks Robert. I appreciate your confidence in me. You are a real asset to the concertina community and have helped me immensely!

Wow! This is a bit of a shock. I really thought this was a done deal. All that was left was a phone call from Jenny or for her to give me her number so I could call her.

Through great effert, I raised the funds for these two concertinas. She knows this. I had the funds in place for sure or would not have proceeded. It was not one of the other. It was brutal on such short notice but I didn't want to pass up a 48 button Boyd as they are so rare. Seeing these comments here and this conversation on here is really hurtful to me.

I am sorry, but I think most would agree that it would be foolish to send $2500 USD to a PayPal account with no verification whatever that the concertina even exists or that this is even really Jenny that is selling it. I don't think this is unreasonable. Times are tough. I simply can't afford unreasonable risk. Is it really wise for me to send money across the country with no contact information or verification? I don't believe there is any way to get my money back on PayPal as it's not an eBay transaction.

Through directory assistance I tracked down Jenny G Hubert's home phone number and have now left her a message to contact me. Maybe everything is perfectly fine or maybe I will get a call saying she sold it years ago and doesn't know what I am talking about!!! If she contacts me through her home number than everything is on the up and up and I can proceed.

Sadly, I see that she has now cancelled my PayPal invoice and relisted it again on eBay so I may just have to let this one go either way... all because I asked for a phone call!

If I've done something wrong then I'm sorry. I was not even going to say anything until I knew for sure and maybe shouldn't even be writing this. By his is really upsetting to me. All my correspondence has been very open and respectful and I honestly do admire the legacy of Gene Hubert and would be honoured to play his concertina.

John

Edited by 4to5to6

Public shaming and throwing doubt about my real existence or the veracity of this concertina is not working well. John could see the verified Paypal address is the same as my home address on the white pages or directory assistance. I have been completely open about anything I know about the concertina. I have been at work all day during the busiest day of the year at my restaurant. John, you were aware of that since I told you I would be unavailable to speak with you today as I said through email. What is shocking is the lack of respect John has shown me. The offer that was made and accepted on June 20th did not include contingencies, renegotiation or continued kicking of the tires. When the story changed, the deal is then being renegotiated.

Because I was not available to take your phone call and I take issue with your changing your terms after we agreed on a deal, that does not mean I lack honesty or integrity. I am a business woman. I cancelled the PayPal invoice because the original deal was no longer valid since your requirements for purchase had changed. I relisted on ebay because the concertina is available until payment is received. Selling this concertina John is a free will activity. The sale becomes a binding contract once payment is received.

Members of cnet,

Of course, through eBay, when an item is significantly not as described, full refund is always given. That is clearly policy. Through eBay and PayPal, if an item is not delivered, or a tracking number does not work, or the sale just does not go through, full refund is always given. John is not being honest when he says he was sending money with no contact information. That is just not the way Paypal works. John had my name, home address, telephone number and email on the invoice. Paypal verifies all of this by verifying my bank through their process. My ebay account has over 1000 positive feedbacks, a reputation that is earned through good business practice of payment upon receipt of invoices and representing items accurately for sale, shipping on time, packing carefully etc. 100% positive feedback.

Gene Hubert is my late husband and I am selling his circa 1890 concertina. I found more documentation in his file, which includes bill of sale from 1999 and money order receipts. I found a reference in an email sent in regards to questions he asked on a forum that date the concertina at 1890. All of this would be sent with the concertina upon purchase. When someone is telling the truth, there is nothing to hide. Tomorrow, I will get my friend Skip to play the concertina and will record a video for posting.

Moving on...

Jenny

*Skip was not familiar with English Concertinas so no recording yet. May be able to work this out with someone else I have contacted.*

John,

FWIW ...

PayPal protection coverage depends on a variety of factors.

One that I'm quite confident about, however, is this:

If you use the "gift" option or "send money to a friend or family" option, as is sometimes proposed to avoid paying transaction fee/s, there is NO (read: zero, zilch, zip, nada, gornisht) protection.

Hopefully, the specifics of this matter can be sussed out more privately to mutual satisfaction, but it is curious to me that you mention $2500 and Jenny's eBay listing is $3575 for Buy-It-Now and $2750 for the opening bid.

Be Well,

Dan

Edited by danersen

I have never used the gift option or the send money to a friend or family option. Did not know that there are no fees and no protection. I use the create invoices option with specific description of item for purchase. Most of my transactions using Paypal have been through ebay. There, the protection for me as the buyer has been without fail when an item did not arrive, had a false tracking number, was damaged or not as described. I have always been satisfied with resolution of any problems associated with purchase of items, even items costing a lot of money, such as restaurant equipment.

I expect that selling this concertina is best done strictly through Ebay with PayPal payment. Ebay and PayPal is where I am most familiar. Once an auction is won or a buy it now is committed, Paypal payment is the next step and all the protections for buyer and seller are in place. There are no changing terms of the agreement after the fact. There is only delivering the item exactly as described, undamaged, and on time after full payment is received. Simple.

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/paypal-safety-and-security#paypal_protects_you-purchase_protection

I don't want to go back and forth on this. To safe guard myself, I always ask that I be sent an invoice, then I pay this invoice. I can then see the sellers information and besides then there is no confusion on who pays the fees, etc.

What put up the red flags here was the phone number on the invoice did not match with the phone number on the directory listing. Maybe nothing, but worth checking into. I sure wouldn't mind if someone phone called me and asked me to push a few buttons on my concertina even if I didn't know how to play a note. I made it clear that I didn't expect her to play a song or anything like that. And I certainly wouldn't of sold some of my precious items to get cash if I was just tire kicking. I bent over backwards to make this happen and just by asking for a quick phone call the deal was instantly cancelled! I was certainly shocked to say the least!!! I wouldn't think that asking to make quick phone contact is changing the terms of a contract but maybe I'm wrong here. I was given until Friday to pay and that's what would of happened. I thought I was doing my part. This all seems so harsh to me!!!

I went through a ton of grief to secure the funding on Saturday and this was well known. I was at first told it would not be held for me even though I offered to PayPal a $200 deposit to do so. I then bent over backwards and sold every thing I could to get the money and I ask for a simple phone call and it's all over!!! Harsh at the very least!

The listing ended with no bids at 2750 and I was then asked multiple times to make an offer through Cnet which I did and it was instantly accepted. Again, I had this funding in place when the offer was made.

I communicated what I had left to do... make a deposit on Monday, make a payment on my Visa, then wait for it to clear and then pay through PayPal probably Wednesday. I was told up to Friday would be fine and it would ship out Monday. I was really excited to get this concertina, maybe too much so.

I think when red flags go up one should act on them. I acted on them. Sadly I can't see this working out even if everything is legit. I could go through eBay and if no other bids, then get it for 2750 I guess... but too many hard feelings now. And I've phoned and left messages at both phone numbers still with no response so in reality the red flags are still there.

I don't want this to go back and forth. This is just too upsetting. I just want to play music, all this negativity deeply affects me.

If I get a phone call from Jenny at her directory listed number and she knows nothing about the concertina for sale I will of course pass this info on here for others to see but other than that I guess that's it.

John