Concertina Vs Accordion Reeds?

I came across this youtube vid the other day. It illustrates the topic quite well.

The guy plays the same tune on a Jackie, a Marcus Music, and an old Lachenal.

Marcus get a very good sound out of accordion reeds.

Out of the three, I think I like the Marcus tone the most. Although you'd have to play them yourself really.

But the Lachenal does sound slightly more "real concertina" ish I guess. But there's not much in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7cZP_8MhbE

I hear a weird distortion effect on the recording of the Jackie and especially the Lachenal, that I don't hear when playing my own Lachenal live. Don't know if it is a problem with the microphone, the compression algorithm, or my headphones. I think perhaps the "English International" album contains better examples of what traditional reeds sound like when professionally recorded.

I listened to it again, and I don't hear anything like that. ( Played through some reasonably good speakers )

It all sounds clear and lifelike on my kit.

I find it actually very good, compared to most youtube recordings, which are often remote and echoey.

I don't think the choice of song, or single-note playing shows off much of the sound quality of the boxes, but I find it enough to get a comparison between the three.

I wonder if anyone else gets what you're hearing?

I just listened again, and yes, I get what Alex meant. ( I think ).

There is a sort of ringing sound on some of the higher notes ? It might sound much more intrusive on headphones.

But I still think the video is good for comparison purposes, but I would like to hear how the basses sound, and how notes sound when played together.

I just listened again, and yes, I get what Alex meant. ( I think ).

There is a sort of ringing sound on some of the higher notes ? It might sound much more intrusive on headphones.

I hear it as a sort of rustling sound, almost as if I were lightly rubbing the headphones in time with the music. Oddly it comes and goes throughout the recording. I can also hear it a tiny bit on the Marcus section, though not as strongly as on the Lachenal section.

I listened to it again, and I don't hear anything like that. ( Played through some reasonably good speakers )

It all sounds clear and lifelike on my kit.

I find it actually very good, compared to most youtube recordings, which are often remote and echoey.

I don't think the choice of song, or single-note playing shows off much of the sound quality of the boxes, but I find it enough to get a comparison between the three.

I wonder if anyone else gets what you're hearing?

Tone alone is not enough information, especially given the variables in sound equipment and the acoustics of the room. Volume, response, efficiency, i.e., how much air is required to sustain the note, and serviceability are some other factors that go into the equation.

Alex, I don't hear that at all. Mind you, I occasionally listen to the tv through headphones, and it's amazing what you can hear compared to the speakers. Every little movement and whisper in an audience comes over, that you never hear normally.

Mike, yes your right about all of that. I think the best way to judge an instrument for sound is to have someone play it to you from a few feet away. And then play it yourself, to see how it plays.

I still think a recording like that chap did is better than nothing though. The acoustics are the same for all three instruments, and it's the same person playing the same tune. A bit more bass and some chords would help to compare them though.

But compared to some professionals playing on youtube, with lots of electronic echo etc, I think it gives a fair indication of tone.

I have several Lachenals, and his sounds pretty much like mine, although they vary a bit individually.

Nothing inferior about an Edgley. Just different. And not that different either. The action is unsurpassed, and they have a great sound. I'm in Newfoundland at the moment, and the best player of traditional Newfoundland and Irish music on the island (Fergus Brown-O'Byrne) plays an Edgley professional. He makes his living as a traditional musician, and wouldn't trade his Edgley for anything. Don't fret- just play. The Edgley will make great music for you.

Apologies for the off-topic post, but I was in Newfoundland when you wrote this. No time to look up musicians, however, as I was busy 18 hours a day teaching a group of college geology students. Let's see, on the 7th we were in Trout River and hiking the Tablelands (as all geologists should), but I didn't hear any concertinas up there.

Have fun whatever you play.

Ken