George Lambert, Wigan

Bill Crossland

post-294-0-06788400-1515350916_thumb.jpgpost-294-0-29928000-1516109811_thumb.jpgI've just started restoration work on a nice 55 key Wheatstone Crane Duet, from 1916. The owners names inside is George Lambert, with two different Wigan addresses. Does anyone know anything about him?

Edited by Bill Crossland

Yes.He was the father of Levi Lambert a repairer and player who I visited a few times in the early 1970's.My records show that he lived at9 Wood street,off Scott Lane,Newtown,Wigan and I bought a 48 Key Lachenal English from him for £12 and sold in the EFDSS shop at Cecil Sharp House for £45.As a Solicitors Articled Clerk on £ 4.50 a week I had to earn an additional crust to keep the wolf from the door!! you should have been around then Bill,you late comers missed a lot of fun and concertinas!!

Just as a matter of interest,Wigan was a hot bed of concertina players and there were a few concertina bands in the town and I recollect Levi had played in one of them so I suppose it's likely his father did.There was a group of really fine Maccan players who were known to my great pal Harry Hatton of Haydock and who we visited.They were all ICA members and donated a "The Red Rose Cup" to be competed for annually by duet players at the ICA festival.I believe it is in the possession of our "mutual friend".

Thanks Mark. The address in the other end is 13, Scott Lane, Newtown, Wigan, so he moved around a bit. I've added the image to the original post.

Judging from the state of the internals, he also spent a lot of time in front of a coal fire surrounded by smokers!

Bill

Whilst not personally aware of George Lambert from any archive material that I have, it is my belief, after a little research based on the name and inscribed addresses (1a Albert Street and 13 Scot Lane) found in the subject instrument, that the attached information is relevant.

George Lambert.doc

It will be seen that Georges occupation, like his father was ‘collier’ (Coal Miner). It was not uncommon for concertinas used in coal mining areas to actually be taken down and played in the pits during breaks. This may account for the reported dirty internal condition of the instrument.

Mark,

I wonder if there is a little confusion as to the relationship of the Levy Lambert, that you met, and George.

It will be seen, also in the attachment, that although George did have a son named Levy who, it seems, died at or soon after birth, he also had a brother Levy (1906-1981). As no other children, apart from those mentioned, have been found born to George and his wife, Mary Ann, in the records, could it be that the Levy referred to by yourself was actually Georges brother ?

Geoff

As always Geoff you are correct and my spelling of the first name may be incorrect. Your father must have been relieved that I started to sell concertinas at Cecil Sharp House as he must have been fed of me calling into the shop with concertinas he knew were not worth repairing and spending his valuable time explaining why that was so.

This is what I found inside my Jeffries Bros Anglo. According to the 1911 census James Henry Wood was a coal miner, like George Lambert, living at 27 Wilcock Street, Wigan. Do you know any more about him, Geoff?

• 1 year later...

I will do my best,  i see her two or three times a week. Her dad was a famous concertina player, her uncle levi and im sure there was another one ? i will ask tomorrow but im sure there was 3 concertinas that the family wanted to keep together george, levi and the other that levi's granddaughter had possesion of? she wanted to split them up but not sure what happend after that

And george infact did take his concertina down the pit. Georges father also played the concertina, he got his first concertina when he was 7 and taught him self how to play he and george used to play together, levi had a son called arthur who then had a child who lived in wales who has or had georges concertina and his fathers too. George and arthur couldnt read music! These are all things aunty kay is telling me