Congo Alan Day Version

darticus

Here is a new recording of the tune.

The tune is all played on the right hand the notes for the accompaniment is, first time through just three and one played either on the push or pull.The second time round is five with one and three push or pull.

Al

is it 1&3 on beat one and button 6 on beat 3?

so is it:

first time 1&3 on push/pull and on beats 1&3

and then second time is it

1&3&6 together on beats 1 and 3

or 1&3 on beat 1 and then button 6 on beat 3?

The idea of this tutor is to coordinate the left hand with the right.

The first excersize is to just play 1&3 (LH) on push notes only., Just that on all the music you are playing on your right hand.Every push beat .and nothing on the pull.

Play that over and over again so that you get your left hand timing

The next excersize is to then seperate the notes and play 3 first push note and 1 second push note.Repeat for the tune over and over again

The third excersize is to try 5 first push note and secons push note 1&3 repeat as before.

This is demonstrated on the tutor.

Do not lose patience and start on the tunes.I practiced just the above for weeks.

Al

The idea of this tutor is to coordinate the left hand with the right.

The first excersize is to just play 1&3 (LH) on push notes only., Just that on all the music you are playing on your right hand.Every push beat .and nothing on the pull.

Play that over and over again so that you get your left hand timing

The next excersize is to then seperate the notes and play 3 first push note and 1 second push note.Repeat for the tune over and over again

The third excersize is to try 5 first push note and secons push note 1&3 repeat as before.

This is demonstrated on the tutor.

Do not lose patience and start on the tunes.I practiced just the above for weeks.

Al

very helpful alan, hopefully one day I can help people as much as you do. Good examples and resources are few and far between on the concertina. I'm gonna play with this tonight.

So on congo is the left hand played on every other beat weather on push or pull?

thats what I think i understand. ill keep working on it, I'm still learning your style. I found out I got used to a different tab system than you lol. but that's not a problem, plus I'm playing on a 30 anglo, still no problem. cause they got 20key built-in. :)

So on congo is the left hand played on every other beat weather on push or pull?

thats what I think i understand. ill keep working on it, I'm still learning your style. I found out I got used to a different tab system than you lol. but that's not a problem, plus I'm playing on a 30 anglo, still no problem. cause they got 20key built-in. :)

got it:

simon gray put up a full visual:

http://nwc-scriptorium.org/db/folkethnic/congofe.html

so its a note every push AND pull beat.

Later you may find it useful to develop base runs that you play on every beat.Push or pull.Easier with three rows as it gives more options.I find that it is better to dedicate a certain finger to certain buttons.With three rows push notes investigate

All LH (TR TOP ROW)( MR MIDDLE ROW)( BR BOTTOM ROW)

3 MR (Ring finger)

5 BR (Little finger)

4 TR (Ring finger)

4 MR (Little Finger)

These base runs only fit part of a tune you are playing but hopefully it may get you started.A bit of mix and match and you have an accompaniment with variations.

Al

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Alan

This is Darticus or Ron we talk before about Congo and you helped us out. I started the post for Congo.

Now I have moved to New Rigged Ship and don't know where to play the right hand. I understand the chords used but don't know where you play the tune on the right hand. I think you said to play on the G row right hand. Is there a chance you can tell me the button numbers for maybe the first 12 notes or so so maybe I can get the idea of where it starts. I have a button chart but having trouble using it. Thanks Ron

• 3 months later...

You could try a full G chord 5,123 on 7th beat and hold to eighth.

Straightforward base 5 on the beat with on all push notes with 1&3 on off beat as before for the first six.

Heavy pull notes try 1&2 right hand with 5 Left Hand.

Once you get your left hand bouncing away whilst playing the tune on the right ,other tune accompaniments will start to get easier.

Well done if you are making progress.

Al

I have had great success with your help!

I have had luck with playing from your tutor and wondered if you could make a suggestion to another tune you might suggest from your tutor. I play Congo, Oscars Wood's Jig, and Monk's March . Is there a suggestion for something that might fit this type of music from you tutor? Thanks for your tutor work Ron