Chappell's One Hundred Scotch Melodies

Pete Dunk

I have an old music book called "Chappell's One Hundred Scotch Melodies Arranged for the Concertina" that has seen better days and it's been patched back together with sellotape (^_^) which makes it too stiff to lay properly flat in the scanner. I've decided to transcribe this book into abc in order to recreate it as a PDF when the project is completed. I'm going to share the tunes here as I go along and hope some of you enjoy playing the tunes. The abc files will be written in abc plus to include dynamic marks which the Tune-O-Tron doesn't like at all and it will not play the tune back properly in the midi player. O'Reagan's ABC Editor works perfectly as do ABC Explorer and Easy ABC so if you want to listen to the midi playback use one of those.

X:1

T:Annie Laurie

C:arr. Carlo Minasi

M:2/4

L:1/8

B:Chappell's One Hundred Scotch Melodies

B:Arranged for the Concertina by Carlo Minasi

Q:1/4=70

Z:Z:Peter Dunk 2012.

K:C

"Andante"!p!CC/C/ [cE][cE]|([bFC]A)z [AF]|\

([GE]E) (ED/C/)|([E2C2G,2][DB,G,]) E/D/|CC/C/ [cE][cE]|

%

([bFC]A)z A|(GF/E/) (E>D)|C2 z G|\

!crescendo(! [cE]>c [dG]>d !crescendo)!|\

[ec] z G|!crescendo(! [cAEA,]>c [dAF]>d !crescendo)!|

%

[e2^G2E2] (ed|[cAFC]B [AF][c/A/][A/F/]|\

[GE]E) E>D|C/c E/ E>D|C3 z|]

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This second tune is one I know as the melody for a song called The Shearing's Not For You. The tempo set here is probably too slow for Allegretto but it's the speed the song would be sung at.

X:2
T:Kelvin Grove
M:C
Q:1/4=120
K:G
"Allegretto"!p!(GA)|(BdAB) (GFED)|(E2 [A2^C2][A2F2D2]) (GA)|\
(BdAB) (GFED)|(E2[G2E2C2][G2D2B,2]) (AB)|
([cGE]>Bcd) [e2c2G2] (Bc)|([dGB,G,]BAG) [A2F2D2]"_a tempo."(GA)|\
([bG]d[AFD]cool.gif ([GB,][FD][EC][DB,])|([E2C2][G2B,2][G2B,2])|]

Edited by tallship

I am unable to edit my previous post for some reason so here is the abc again without the smiley!

X:2

T:Kelvin Grove

K:G

"Allegretto"!p!(GA)|(BdAB) (GFED)|(E2 [A2^C2][A2F2D2]) (GA)|\

(BdAB) (GFED)|(E2[G2E2C2][G2D2B,2]) (AB)|

([cGE]>Bcd) [e2c2G2] (Bc)|([dGB,G,]BAG) [A2F2D2]"_a tempo."(GA)|\

([bG]d[AFD]B) ([GB,][FD][EC][DB,])|([E2C2][G2B,2][G2B,2])|]

I have an old music book called "Chappell's One Hundred Scotch Melodies Arranged for the Concertina" that has seen better days and it's been patched back together with sellotape (^_^) which makes it too stiff to lay properly flat in the scanner. I've decided to transcribe this book into abc in order to recreate it as a PDF when the project is completed. I'm going to share the tunes here as I go along and hope some of you enjoy playing the tunes. The abc files will be written in abc plus to include dynamic marks which the Tune-O-Tron doesn't like at all and it will not play the tune back properly in the midi player. O'Reagan's ABC Editor works perfectly as do ABC Explorer and Easy ABC so if you want to listen to the midi playback use one of those.

%

%

Wot a good idea.

Is this an Italian version of Maxwelton Braes as it don't sound too much like the one I know.

I have just realised (while using tuneotron on other half's latest v expesive Macbook, that this new midi playback format is for Mac/Quicktime - in the sense that, having opened it with MS XP on a PC and then try to save it you cannot unless you buy itunes.

Does this mean u are on a MAC?, and second does it mean anyone using a PC will have to use/buy itunes to save yr version.

Does the quicktime midi format allow slowing down etc in other software programs? There is no obvious facility on screen when it opens up initially - it seems to be just stop/go/stop plus volume.

Is there no way of ensuring all your hard work is open to as many users as poss for the long term - you don't want to drive em to drinking Scotch when they can't access these Scottish (hint hint, knock knock, SNP Provosts approaching!)toons

I have to admit one political reason I do not use/like Mac is the various controls they operate via itunes etc - which is why I would not buy a mac tablet.....

I am having a different set of problems but similar with Asus Prime Transformer 201 tablet. It may be winning all the prizes and beating the tish out of the opposition allegedely, but runs on android and seems unable to handle a variety of bog standard sound and video files.... aaaghh The scores come up beautifully clear on the Prime screen and but you often cannot open the sound file alongside to learn.

Edited by Kautilya

Oh

Having saved 'your' midi on and in the Mac,I tried to open it.

VLC is installed on here.

VLC (and there is no other option on this machine at the moment) said it cannot open this format without:

I dont know how to do print screeen on Mac it says

Midi synthesis not set up, sound font required etc etc etc

No suitable decoder et cetc

Unfort VLC does not support midi

[well of course even I know that!]

Anyway, I shall continue this on my PC....

It's in abc, written using ABC Explorer on my PC but it's still simple text. What on earth do you mean new midi format? I did say that the abc extensions in this file will not work in the Tune-O-Tron! Try using O'Reagan's or download some proper software.

Here's another tune . . .

X:3

T:Scots, Wae Hae Wi' Wallace Bled

Z:Peter Dunk 2012.

"Maestoso"!f!G>G (G>E|G>A) [c2E2]|[AF]>[AF] [AF]>[GE]|\

[AF]>[bD] ([cE]>[dG])|[ec]>[ec] [dG]>[cE]|\

[cE]>[dG] [e2c2]|(c>A A>G)|"_>"G4|]

[ec]>[ec] [ec]>[dB]|([ec]>[fd] [g2e2])|\

[dG]>[dG] [dG]>[cE]|([dG]>[ec] [f2d2])|\

(g>e) ([dG]>[cE]|[cE]>[dG]) [e2c2]|\

[cA]>[AF] [AF]>[GE]|"_>"[G4E4]|]

X:4

T:Land O' The Leal, The

K:Bb

"Andante"!p!F|F2 (F>D)|F2B>B|[G2E2] ([GE]>[FD])|[G2E2] (Bc)|\

[d2B2F2] (c>B)|[b2F2D2] (d>c)|[b2G2E2] (G>F)|[F3D3B,3]|]

d|[d2B2F2](d>c)|[d2B2F2] (f>d)|[cAF]c (c>B)|[c2A2F2]([ec][ge])|\

[fdB]>d [c2A2F2]|[b2D2]"_a piacere"[dB]>[cF]|\

[b2D2]"_>"[GE]>[FD]|[F3D3]|]

%

%

Very nice of you to do this! I've often seen advertisements for this book in period newspapers.

I downloaded it onto your ABC editor and got this image (attached). I had thought that this book was for Anglo-German (or even just two row German) concertina, not for English concertina. But the arrangement leaves questions. The chord at the beginning of line two is not playable on my 30 button or a two row....I have no pull C that is required (unless I am missing something up in the cranium department!). Does the book say what sort of instrument it is intended for?

If it is for Anglo, then I assume that Minasi (or more probably, some of Chappell's staff) took some simple arrangements from piano or some such and then just placed them in the key of C and called it a day. It wouldn't be the first time that was done.

I find the original images much more useful than abc, better allowing questions like these to be approached. It is not necessary to scan them on a scanner. My usual method in a library is just to photograph them in good light with a digital camera. Even a simple one these days gives a quite acceptable image. You can crop off the unexessary bits in something like Powerpoint, rotate them to square, perhaps switch to black and white and adjust the contrast and brightness, and that is all that is needed. Just a suggestion.

Again, thanks!

Dan

post-976-0-40630800-1350747765_thumb.png

Edited by Dan Worrall

Very nice of you to do this! I've often seen advertisements for this book in period newspapers.

I downloaded it onto your ABC editor and got this image (attached). I had thought that this book was for Anglo-German (or even just two row German) concertina, not for English concertina. But the arrangement leaves questions. The chord at the beginning of line two is not playable on my 30 button or a two row....I have no pull C that is required (unless I am missing something up in the cranium department!). Does the book say what sort of instrument it is intended for?

If it is for Anglo, then I assume that Minasi (or more probably, some of Chappell's staff) took some simple arrangements from piano or some such and then just placed them in the key of C and called it a day. It wouldn't be the first time that was done.

I find the original images much more useful than abc, better allowing questions like these to be approached. It is not necessary to scan them on a scanner. My usual method in a library is just to photograph them in good light with a digital camera. Even a simple one these days gives a quite acceptable image. You can crop off the unexessary bits in something like Powerpoint, rotate them to square, perhaps switch to black and white and adjust the contrast and brightness, and that is all that is needed. Just a suggestion.

The book has no cover or preliminary pages, perhaps it never had as it is poorly engraved on cheap paper and there are four pages of adverts for other publications at the back. I did an image search looking for a picture of the cover but no luck. The type of concertina isn't mentioned and like you I wouldn't be surprised if these aren't the edited highlights of piano arrangements as they are hardly inspiring. If this was a rare book or manuscript full of interesting or unique tunes I might well have gone down the photographic route but that would take longer than transcribing and I'd have to upload the images somewhere in order to share them, they wouldn't be much use to ear players either. I will take a couple of pictures in the near future and post them here so you can see the style and general condition of the book.

Here's another tune, perhaps the last for today, we'll see.

X:5

T:Busk Ye, Busk Ye

"Andante"

!p![G2E2]([A/F/]B/c)[G2E2](ce)|(fedc)[A2F2]z2|\

[G2E2]([A/F/]B/c)[G2E2] ([ec][fd)]|\

([ge][f/d/][e/c/]) ([dG]>[cE]) ([cE]>[dG]) [e2c2]|

%

[G2E2]([A/F/]B/c)[G2E2](ce)|(fedc) (BA) (e>d)|\

(cBAG) ([fd][ec][dG][cE])|([A3F3][GE]) ([AF]>[bF] [c2E2])||

%

([ec]>[dB][ec]>[fd]) [g3e3] e|(fedc) [A2F2]z2|\

(e>de>f) g3 f|(edcd) (e>fg>e)|

%

([ec]>[dB][ec]>[fd]) ([g2e2]fe)|(fedc) {B/}A2 (ed)|\

(cBAG) ([fd][ec][dG][cE])|([A3F3][GE]) ([AF]>[bF] [c2E2])|]

Definitely the last one for today!

X:6

T:Bonnie Prince Charlie

M:6/8

Q:3/8=90

K:D

"Allegretto"

!mf!(f>ed) d2 b|afd' (f>ed)|(fe)e (e<fa)|\

([d'b]>[c'a][bg]) ([bg][af][fd])|

%

([af]>[bg][d'b]) ([e'c']>[d'b][bg])|([bg][af][fd]) ([af][bg][d'f])|\

(f>ef) ([d'b]>[c'a][bg])|([af]d(f) {f}e2) d|

%

"_>"(d'>a)a "_>"(e'>a)a|"_>"g'>(e'd') (d'[af])[bg]|\

([af]fd) d2 (d'/e'/)|(f'g'/e'/(d'/){f'}(e'2)d')|

%

d'2 [af] (d'f'g')|(f'>e'd') ([d'b][c'a][bg])|\

([af]>[bg][af]) ([af]d)>e|(fa)>(f {f}("_>"[e2A2]) [dF])|]

A couple of photos as promised. The music is legible admittedly but I would have thought a transcription is more useful?

Chappells1.jpg

Chappells2.jpg

Cnet100Scotchmelodiesindex

I am really looking forward to some of the unusual Scotch tunes to come which will put our provenance skills to their utmost test and, I suspect, Tallship may be accused of sedition and taken by cart to SNP Castle, Edinburgh to await trial, keel-hauled and then strung from the crow’s nest.

Such little known Highland melodies as:

Six Kyries

March of the men of Harlech

God Save the Queen [Mary]

Rule Britannia [when the oil fields are taken back – remember Caesar called his invading fleet the classis britannica (fleet to invade Britain).

Rossini’s (an Italian gelato maker settled in Scotland) Mosè in Egitto (Moses in Egypt)

The German fatherland…

I am beginning to wonder whether this list may have fallen off another book…..!

Two Te Deum (s) – both in F

Austrian National Hymn………….

anyways - it will be interesting to see if the Te Deum(s)wherever they are located on some other Chappell's book are good for Dirge to play, rather than his having to get hold of a piano version for his big Duet machine.

Interestingly (or perhaps not!), messing about at the kitchen table last night, before I went through this index, I was squeezed out the first part of the Gregorian Te Deum out on a Lachenal 20-button. :)

Edited by Kautilya

I am really looking forward to some of the unusual Scotch tunes to come which will put our provenance skills to their utmost test and, I suspect, Tallship may be accused of sedition and taken by cart to SNP Castle, Edinburgh to await trial, keel-hauled and then strung from the crow’s nest.

I am beginning to wonder whether this list may have fallen off another book…..!

If you had read my previous posts with any degree of concentration you would have noted my comment that the book ended with four pages of advertisements for other publications . . . :rolleyes:

Now may we please have a blowing a raspberry emoticon? B) :lol:

Interestingly (or perhaps not!), messing about at the kitchen table last night, before I went through this index, I was squeezed out the first part of the Gregorian Te Deum out on a Lachenal 20-button. :)

Just watch it you. I have the conductor's score for Thomas Tallis' Spem in Alium and I know how to transcribe it! :P

Probably, well almost certainly, my only contribution for today. This one is at least more pleasing to my untutored ear than its predecessors.

X:7

T:O Whistle An' I'll Come to Ye my Lad

M:6/8

Q:3/8=100

K:Bb

"Allegretto"

!p!(B/(c/)|d<B)G (FED)|(Ccc) c2 B/(c/|\

d<B)G FDF| "_>"([GE][bD])[bD] [b2D2] (B/c/)|\