23 replies to this topic

#1 nicx66

nicx66

Chatty concertinist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 07:17 PM

Cormac Begley will be joining Lisa O'Neill for a duet at Shane MacGowan's 60th birthday celebration on monday, Jan.15 at the  National Concert Hall, Dublin. O how I wish I were a millionaire, or at least had $3500 that could only be spent frivolously !!! https://www.facebook.com/cormacbegley/

#2 Terence

Terence

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 07:42 AM

You mean the frontman of the music group who dedicated ironically an instrumental song to Noel Hill ? No thanks :-)

#3 Peter Laban

Peter Laban

Chatty concertinist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 07:19 AM

The write-up in the Irish times

#4 Wolf Molkentin

Wolf Molkentin

Ineluctable Opinionmaker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2732 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 08:53 AM

Thank you so much for this, Peter! Loved the article, and can't wait to watch the videos after work will be over... (and of course go back to The Pogues'  catalogue...).

(got to know Glen Hansard in 1999 as he was joining The Mary Janes for their final appearance on stage..., and with The Frames that evening as well as I seem to recall; Shane McGowan was said to be there as well but didn't make it to the stage)

Best wishes - Wolf

Edited by Wolf Molkentin, 16 January 2018 - 09:14 AM.

#5 Halifax

Halifax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 09:30 AM

And now I'm going to try to use the phrase "Brechtian menace" as often as possible.

#6 Peter Laban

Peter Laban

Chatty concertinist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 09:53 AM

of course go back to The Pogues'  catalogue.

These are  days for revisiting the background sounds of the nineties, in your head. When you're gone[

#7 nicx66

nicx66

Chatty concertinist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 11:01 AM

Jesse Malin's instagram has some photos, including the setlist. Sinead O'Connor made a surprise appearance for 'You're the One'! https://www.instagram.com/jesse_malin/

#8 ceemonster

ceemonster

Heavyweight Boxer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1350 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 02:21 AM

[[[You mean the frontman of the music group who dedicated ironically an instrumental song to Noel Hill ? No thanks]]]

Were you aware that Noell Hill publically called the Pogues "an abortion of Irish music?"    In view of that, Mr. McGowan's riposte (it was actually, "Planxty Noel Hill") seems tasteful and restrained,  as well as witty and funny.   I say that as a fan of both.

Edited by ceemonster, 17 January 2018 - 02:23 AM.

#9 Don Taylor

Don Taylor

Heavyweight Boxer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1161 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 09:23 AM

The interview:

https://youtu.be/IWxJyYA697s

Edited by Don Taylor, 17 January 2018 - 09:31 AM.

#10 nicx66

nicx66

Chatty concertinist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 01:26 PM

The interview:

https://youtu.be/IWxJyYA697s

Incredible stuff! Thanks

#11 Wolf Molkentin

Wolf Molkentin

Ineluctable Opinionmaker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2732 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 03:49 AM

[[[You mean the frontman of the music group who dedicated ironically an instrumental song to Noel Hill ? No thanks]]]

Were you aware that Noell Hill publically called the Pogues "an abortion of Irish music?"    In view of that, Mr. McGowan's riposte (it was actually, "Planxty Noel Hill") seems tasteful and restrained,  as well as witty and funny.   I say that as a fan of both.

Well roar'd Ceemonster!

#12 nicx66

nicx66

Chatty concertinist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 10:22 AM

Well roar'd Ceemonster!

And a fantastic tune, t'boot ! One that I am learning on the concertina, or at least trying to learn. It's always easier on the tin whistle, but I am new to both ( 4 years whistle, 3 years concertina) Thanks for keeping it positive people!

Edited by nicx66, 18 January 2018 - 10:24 AM.

#13 Terence

Terence

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 07:02 PM

Yes, right, thanks for keeping it positive...

Ceemonster : yes I was aware of it.

Don : thanks for the interview link !

#14 Peter Laban

Peter Laban

Chatty concertinist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 04:32 AM

FWIW, McGowan will be talking about his 60th thing  to Ray D'Arcy on RTE tonight. Up on the http://rte.ie/player/ tomorrow (usually for about a week)

Yes, right, thanks for keeping it positive.

You do realise Terence, you were the first and only one to throw a negative into the thread.

Edited by Peter Laban, 20 January 2018 - 04:36 AM.

#15 Terence

Terence

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 05:11 AM

Yes Peter, that's why I wrote "thanks", but perhaps it's not clear enough as english is not my native language.
So here it is :
" I offer a complete and utter retraction. The imputation was totally without basis in fact, and was in no way fair comment, and was motivated purely by malice, and I deeply regret any distress that my comments may have caused you, or your family, and I hereby undertake not to repeat any such slander at any time in the future. "
Is that ok ? 😉 (I love John Cleese)
All in all, I am sorry.

Edited by Terence, 20 January 2018 - 05:25 AM.

#16 Peter Laban

Peter Laban

Chatty concertinist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 02:37 PM

While we're on both video/film stuff and Noel Hill this may be of interest :

Noel Hill – Aisling Ghéar

A World Premiere, presented by the Irish Film Institute & TradFest

A searing portrait of one of Ireland’s most renowned traditional musicians – concertina player Noel Hill, as he recovers from a brutal assault. At the turn of the century, Noel Hill decided to turn over a new leaf and move with his young family to the rural idyll of Connemara. In 2008, he was brutally assaulted by a builder with whom he had been in financial dispute. Noel required 10 hours of corrective surgery while the psychological damage robbed him of his ability to play. Paddy Hayes’ documentary follows Noel as he journeys from his formative musical years in West Clare, to his darkest hours following the assault and then through his recovery. Today he is playing as well as ever and the film is ultimately a reflection on the redemptive power of music. Funded by TG4 and the BAI.

see also http://tradfest.ie/e...-aisling-ghear/

#17 Peter Laban

Peter Laban

Chatty concertinist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 06:02 AM

As I mentioned above it above I'll follow through:  here's the link to the McGowan and Victoria Mary Clarke interview on RTE last night https://www.rte.ie/p...e/show/10829506

I saw a little bit of it and thought it was excruciating and unbearable to watch.

Edited by Peter Laban, 21 January 2018 - 06:41 AM.

#18 Terence

Terence

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 08:13 AM

Oh yes, very difficult to bear indeed. :( I felt the same that when I saw this Lenny Kilmister interview (https://youtu.be/G14VN_H8mUk).
I wonder what do they think when being old, after having burnt the candle at both ends. I didn't listen to the full interview, perhaps Shane McGowan talk about it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users