Wheatstone Ledgers

Joyce

They are always 56-key trebles, with metal ends that have his name worked into the fretwork, they have bowing valves and they are very loud !

Well this one is a 48 key Lachenal Boyd no 46430

Theo,

I guess there always has to be an exception, "to prove the rule" ... :huh:

For that matter, I once had a Lachenal, in a case labelled H. Boyd, that was to all intents & purposes a Boyd model, but didn't have his name worked in the end. But the rest of the ones I have seen have all been as I described.

By the way, when I replied (in the "A Small Parable" thread):

... one has reported that during that quiet time his first -- and still primary -- Wheatstone talisman cost him all of five UK pounds. :huh: :o

Doth' mean that which hath the seller's name writ 'midst the silvery acanthus leaves ?

It was in reference to Alistair Anderson's Boyd Wheatstone, which I believe is the "talisman" in question.

I have just obtained a Wheatstone Boyd 56 key (model probably 24) which has an air lever on either side. ... It is definitely a Wheatstone Boyd and fits the bill for 26866. Any hints as to howelse I can find info on it.

The most critical thing is the serial number, which should be inside the instrument.

As you have probably discovered, Harry Boyd had special models built for him by both Lachenal's and Wheatstone's. They are always 56-key trebles, with metal ends that have his name worked into the fretwork, they have bowing valves and they are very loud !

I know that he made at least one 78rpm record, because I've got a copy.

Thanks for info. No number found inside but will follow up on Mr Boyd's history.

No number found inside ...

Then it could be a relatively early model of metal-ended Wheatstone, perhaps from the 1890's. Are the pads made of red cardboard ?

... will follow up on Mr Boyd's history.

Boyd & Co. advertised on page 11 of John Hill Maccann's The Concertinist's Guide [1888] (which can be viewed online here), as "Wholesale and Retail Dealers in every description of Musical Instruments" at 20, New Bridge Street, Newcastle-on-Tyne. "LESSONS given by Mr. H. BOYD, Professor and Teacher of the English and Duet Concertinas. Mr. H. BOYD is also at liberty as a Soloist for Concerts etc." "English & Duet Concertinas, Specially Made & Tuned, Prices from £2 12s. 6d. to 30 Guineas."

They are also listed in my copy of the 1903 Music Trade Directory, at the same address, and seem to have still been in business in 1915, judging by the ledger entry for # 26866.

Thanks very much for the info Stephen.

I will follow all the clues up.

I cannot remember the colour of the pads but will check with my renovaor.

The inside bellows paper was a startlingly bright red but that may mean nothing.

Cheers

Kerry

Boyd & Co. ...at 20, New Bridge Street, Newcastle-on-Tyne.

They are also listed in my copy of the 1903 Music Trade Directory, at the same address, and seem to have still been in business in 1915, judging by the ledger entry for # 26866.

By the 1910 MTD they had moved to 16 Pilgrim St, but aren't listed in the 1937 MTD.

No number found inside ...

Then it could be a relatively early model of metal-ended Wheatstone, perhaps from the 1890's. Are the pads made of red cardboard ?

I cannot remember the colour of the pads but will check with my renovaor.

Kerry has now sent me a message that the pads are indeed red, which suggests to me that the instrument is an early example of a metal-ended Wheatstone. The missing serial number should probably be in the 21XXX, or 22XXX series, and the date in the 1890's.

Edited by Stephen Chambers

• 3 years later...
Well, my speculation ... is that ... D.V. might be a double K.V. (i.e., an air button on each side).  So far I have no examples of instruments marked D.V. to test that theory, though.

Well, in 35 years of dealing, repairing and looking at concertinas, I have never, ever, seen, or even heard of, such a strange feature. I doubt if one was ever made like that, but they were always ready to "customise" instruments for people, so you never know...

Anybody got a "D.V." Wheatstone, to resolve this ?

Stephen,

My #22 has an air lever on each side, in front of each thumb strap.

N.B. It's number is 23253.

Cheers

Dick

23253 is from the first decade of the twentieth century which is the period for which the ledgers are missing sadly. Interesting that you have such an instrument though Dick, I'm sure Stephen will want to see it if you still have it by then. 22's are uncommon as it is, yours may just be unique. <_<

• 2 years later...

This is certainly an old thread, but just to add to the store of reliable information, I have a 48-key Boyd Wheatstone treble SN 23697 (confirmed by Colin Dipper and Wim Wakker) with 2 air levers. Its leather case disintegrated but not before I extracted the black oval label with gold lettering, stating

HARRY BOYD

DIRECT IMPORTER

AND

DEALER IN EVERY STYLE OF MUSICAL INSTRUMENT

WHOLESALE AND RETAIL

20, NEW BRIDGE STREET

NEWCASTLE-ON-TYNE