Thanks To The Core

This is to say thankyou to those core members of Concertina.net who keep this forum ticking over for the enlightenment and entertainment of the rest of us. No names mentioned, we know who you are, your posts number in the hundreds or thousands. Your knowledge, enthusiasm, energy and diligence astound me, I could never contribute at the rate of some of you. But, as a relatively new member, I'm beginning to feel part of a community.

I have played EC for a long time but it's only in the last couple of years I have developed a new passion for the instrument after a serious (and ongoing) cancer issue. My interest is song accompaniment with concer and I've resolved to work at this to achieve as high a level as I might in my time available (hopefully quite a few years). A passion and purpose so to speak.

For a long time I've had very little contact with things concertina (recordings, other players,etc) but C.net has opened a whole new world. In particular the recent thread on solo concertina with singing has exposed me to some fine singer/players. Many thanks.

So once again thankyou to all those who drive these forums, your contributions and effort are very much appreciated.

Steve.

I would second this...the members are the real engine here. We admins (well, me at least) just push a few buttons and watch most of the time. So I (a regular reader here myself) enjoy all the contributions from the real C.netters! Happy New Year (whatever calendar you observe).

Ken

Echoing David here: you're already making your contribution.

I've been impressed by the way the community has expressed care for its members who have or are experiencing illness. We've even had some situations where a formerly active became inactive, and folks tried to find out what happened.

Our thoughts are with you. As it seems that the group, so far as one can tell, tends toward the mature end of the spectrum, it is not unexpected that we would have members experiencing health problems. Certainly, a number have so reported.

For all of us in the New Year: keep squeezing, and keep pushing those buttons! And like all good musicians, be attentive to the other members of the band.

Thanks both David and Mike for your concern for my health. To avoid any misunderstanding I'm in remission now and very healthy. Mantle cell lymphoma has an average survival rate of six years with 100% chance of multiple relapse. To date I've had none. I'm also told I had the gold standard treatment and the jury is still out as to it's effectiveness. So I'm thankful for each new day and yes still squeezing, very much so.

But this thread is not supposed to be about me. It's about you the likes of you two. David, wow,an average of more than one post every other day since joining. And Mike, 215 is not bad. Myself and others like me just fill in the spaces, which of course is an important contribution. But you blokes are the drivers and I take my hat off to you and the rest of the core group. ( "blokes"? Sorry girls, I haven't noticed any heavyweights among you, but that's OK, I'll never be a heavyweight)

Cheers Steve.

Above is the post I deleted by accident. I was trying to quote the last sentence. I've just noticed a female heavyweight boxer, well done. I should be more attentive, sorry.

David, wow,an average of more than one post every other day since joining.

I'm not sure those numbers are accurate. I don't know when the "2479 posts" dates back to, but I have been here since before Aug 2003. Does anybody remember what year concertina.net switched formats? Anyway, I often go for weeks without posting here, and I rarely post more than two or three messages in a session.

Concertina.net switched formats (from Paul's software to the Invision system) in August 2003; the post counts are since then (all activity in the new system).

Note that David will be ineluctable soon!

Ken

Thanks David & Ken. David, your record stands, 2480 posts now, definitely a core member. And you're about to be ineluctable, big word, must be good!

Anyway this thread has run it's course. Hopefully some or many of you "core" members have noticed that your efforts are very much appreciated by myself and probably (hopefully) many other occasional users as well.

That's all from me.

Cheers Steve.

Thanks for appreciating the "core" members... and quite rightly too. But what about the vast majority of c.neters... the lurkers who read and never or rarely post? They are valued members too and I would like to say "thank you" to them as well.

They are akin to an audience that does not perform on stage but by their attention gives weight and meaning to the discourse. Bravo lurkers! (You know who you are).

Edited by Jody Kruskal

Posting from an iPad, here. Sure enough, it uses the full version but no buttons at the top of the text window. Instead, text (quotes, format changes, etc) are expressed in BB code, as if the switch had been clicked.

This is a "Yes, that's what it's all about", isn't it?!

(Posted from an IPhone, which means no smileys to indicate the friendly mood or mode...)

Edited by blue eyed sailor

Posting from an iPad, here. Sure enough, it uses the full version but no buttons at the top of the text window. Instead, text (quotes, format changes, etc) are expressed in BB code, as if the switch had been clicked.

Is this in response to our conversation down in the "test forum", Dave?

Alan

Is this in response to our conversation down in the "test forum", Dave?

Alan

Oops. Yes. Sorry. I was in a hurry on a borrowed iPad and searched for the wrong thread started by Steve.