How heavy is your concertina?

Ishtar

My Wally Carroll 30 button C/G weighs in at 1178 gr. That's very light for a concertina with traditional brass-framed steel reeds - and the sound is spectacular. Wally designed the concertina to be very light and this is one of the lightest "real" concertinas made. If weight is an issue this concertina would be perfect -- it is effortless to hold and a joy to play.

I had always thought my Jeffries Duet was a bit weighty - I've just checked....it's 2.25kgs!

It does get a bit heavy after a while whilst standing up when playing for morris.

I think my Æola Baritone Trumps your Duet wolsop. It weighs in at 2041g!

...................... Any Bass players out there? ;)

I play a single-acting Wheatstone 56 key Bass/Baritone EC. It weighs in at 6 lbs 12.5 ounces: that's 3.085Kg.

I don't often play standing up!

Edited by Lofty

I had always thought my Jeffries Duet was a bit weighty - I've just checked....it's 2.25kgs!

It does get a bit heavy after a while whilst standing up when playing for morris.

I play a single-acting Wheatstone 56 key Bass/Baritone EC. It weighs in at 6 lbs 12.5 ounces: that's 3.085Kg.

I take my hat off to you...and step aside to allow you top step on the podium (that is, if you can climb up there with all that weight!) :)

I take my hat off to you...and step aside to allow you top step on the podium (that is, if you can climb up there with all that weight!) :)

It's only a 'Small Bass', according to the Wheatstone ledgers at http://www.horniman.info/WNCMARC/C1054/PAGES/CAP2240S.HTM

Does anybody own a 'Large Bass' (and some scales)?

Lofty

• 13 years later...
  • 1 year later...

My Edgley Heritage Anglo weighs 1.48 Kg, which seems to be pretty heavy for an Anglo.  It has a seven-fold bellows, ebony ends, and metal fretwork.  My first traditional concertina after moving up from a Clover.  Plays beautifully.

Parker