Theme Of The Month, May 2015: Runners Up

Jim Besser

How about something a little different for the May theme?

Several TOTMers have requested it, and I think it’s a fine idea: let’s go through more than 2 years of TOTM polls and learn, record and post some of the fine tunes that weren't selected.

Almost all of these tunes have examples on YouTube that you can work from - if you need help, go back over old polls and use the links I provided. And in all but a small handful of cases, notation is easily obtained on the Web. If you have trouble finding a particular tune, email me and I’ll help you out.

Here’s a hint about notation. Many - probably most - of the polled traditional tunes and some that aren’t traditional can be found on abcnotation.com . Thesession.org has a massive collection of Irish tunes in ABC format, and many that aren't Irish. For modern composed tunes that don’t have ABC files, Google the name of the tune, and then select “images” from the top of the page. Often, that will bring you to printable images of the notation.

That's the theme for May. Think of it as an exercise in recycling. Play one tune, or put a few related tunes together in a medley. Or even unrelated tunes that you think sound good together.

Here’s the list of the 65 tunes that didn't make the TOTM cut:

La Ronde Des Millorianes
Vals från Kall
Horse Keene’s Hornpipe

Hommage à Gilles Laprise
Coleman’s march
If I only Had a Brain
Return from Helsinki
Mazurka a Clement
Angelina Baker
Glendy Burke
Tokla Polka
Upon a Summer’s Day
In the Bleak Midwinter
Let it Snow.
Lucy Farr's Barndance
Glise a Sherbrooke
Exactly Like You
Down by the Sally Gardens
Nelly Bly
Bach Minuet in G Major
Miss Hamilton
Pig Ankle Rag
March from Scipio
Lullaby
Balkan Hills Scottische
Sean Ryan’s
La Sansonnette
Ebenezer
alexandra park
old molly oxford
Peacock Rag
Kristjani Reilander
Hambo pa logen
Jessica’s
Scotch Cap
Boulevard of Broken Dreams
La Bestrange
Scollay's Reel
Cooley's Hornpipe
Fly Around my Pretty Little Miss
Juliane Johnson
Kilnamona
Wonder Hornpipe
Autumn Leaves
Over the Waterfall
Old molly oxford
Wonder Hornpipe
Old Copperplate
Hambo Pa Logen
Zycanthos Jig
Girl I Left Behind Me
Haste to the Wedding
Graemsay Jig
Mr. Moore's Hornpipe
Golden Slippers
Jamtlands Brudmarsche
Whistling Rufus
Winnie Hayes
Hanter dro de Languidig
Old Copperplate
The Blossom and the Rain
Tra Vegla e Sonno
Amelia
Lemmy Brazil's Number Two
Kost er C'hooat

Everybody deserves a second chance - let's give one to some of these tunes!

Edited by Jim Besser

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great theme, especially for a relative newcomer (but longtime lurker) like myself who appreciates the chance to move out of his comfort zone a bit. With luck I'll get to a few of these this month.

But first...much as I like "Da Slockit Light," I'd been betting on "La Ronde des milloraines" in the latest poll, so here it is. For the sake of authenticity I arranged it for the classic Auvergnais combination of concertina, fiddle, ukulele, bodhrán and electric bass.

http://youtu.be/xA3ngMv8k1Y

Bob Michel

Near Philly

Great theme, especially for a relative newcomer (but longtime lurker) like myself who appreciates the chance to move out of his comfort zone a bit. With luck I'll get to a few of these this month.

But first...much as I like "Da Slockit Light," I'd been betting on "La Ronde des milloraines" in the latest poll, so here it is. For the sake of authenticity I arranged it for the classic Auvergnais combination of concertina, fiddle, ukulele, bodhrán and electric bass.

http://youtu.be/xA3ngMv8k1Y

Nice tune and fine playing, but I still think -- as I did when I listened to the candidates in the poll -- that it sounds suspiciously close (though not quite identical) to an Italian tarantella that I've heard many times over many decades. Am I alone in that?

I still think -- as I did when I listened to the candidates in the poll -- that it sounds suspiciously close (though not quite identical) to an Italian tarantella that I've heard many times over many decades. Am I alone in that?

It definitely has a tarantella vibe. I haven't found much information online about the tune's background, but it wouldn't surprise me to learn that it had Italian roots.

Bob Michel

Near Philly

Edited by Bob Michel

Randy that's beautiful, and as far as possible from anything I would ever aspire to play. From my slightly oddball ( and very different) musical viewpoint I raise my hat to your delightful and inspiring performance. It's a joy to listen to!

Pete.

https://soundcloud.com/gcolli/lively-jig-ilmington-or-wonder

The Lively Jig (Ilmington) or the Wonder hornpipe. My 1st school was in Ilmington.

Cool! I never heard this done as a jig before.

As an aside - I used to be musician for a Morris group that danced Ilmington.

Well, I wasn't playing it as a jig, that is just the dance title. It may have lost it's step hop from not playing for morris for 15+ years.

https://soundcloud.com/gcolli/lively-jig-ilmington-or-wonder

The Lively Jig (Ilmington) or the Wonder hornpipe. My 1st school was in Ilmington.

Cool! I never heard this done as a jig before.

As an aside - I used to be musician for a Morris group that danced Ilmington.

Well, I wasn't playing it as a jig, that is just the dance title. It may have lost it's step hop from not playing for morris for 15+ years.

User error on my part....wasn't awake yet.

Here are two more tunes from the list of also-rans, both hornpipes: "The Wonder" and "Joe Cooley's." They make a nice set.

http://youtu.be/_isvXEqYMZ4

I'm always glad to watch the dog in one of these music videos, rather than my own earnest mug. He's 14 now, and just deaf enough to be extremely tolerant of my squawk and wheeze.

Bob Michel

Near Philly

Bob, the dog is delightful. I often wonder if some dogs have some sort of appreciation for music as opposed to simply tolerating it. I have had a dog who left me in no doubt whatsoever that she strongly objected to free-reed music and I have had others who have reacted with as much apparent indifference, or perhaps appreciation, as yours. We shall never know if it is simply that some dogs are more long-suffering than others. !

I often wonder if some dogs have some sort of appreciation for music as opposed to simply tolerating it.

What he appreciates most, I'm sure, is company, and if that involves music he doesn't object. And while whippets are brilliant thieves as a rule, he long ago figured out that musical gear is strictly off-limits and must be left alone. Should I have a different dog eventually, I'm going to need to relearn some basic precautions (e.g., don't go out for a few hours and leave the concertina on the floor).

Bob Michel

Near Philly