Venetian Concertina Gig

I've been contacted by an entertainment company seeking a "Venetian concertina player". I don't play much Italian music and I've no idea what Venetian music is. Anyone interested? PM me.

Our company is booking entertainment for a large private event in Palm Beach, Florida on February 11th. The client has requested a "Venetian concertina player".

At the beginning of the evening there will be an area of the party set up to look like Venice, with a gondola and an opera singer/gondolier, and we are looking for a concertina player who could play appropriate Venetian/Italian music. There will also be a piano player in this area. At this time I do not know whether all this music should interact with each other, but for now we are just checking availability and pricing.

The concertina player will have to be dressed in some sort of Venetian costume (to be provided by the client).

Please let me know whether you might be available, or whether you know someone else who would be suitable. Needless to say, it is important to have quite a repertoire of Venetian/Italian music.

Arrival in Florida would probably be on February 10th, and departure on the 12th. In addition to a fee for the performance, air fare, lodging, local transportation and a per diem would be provided.

I think it sounds like the usual confusion between concertina and accordion.

I'm guessing they're thinking of something like this : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yBAiC2FK1c

There's been at least one previous discussion of the possible connection between concertinas and Italy.

Long time since I saw it, but didn't Disney use a concertina, as well as an accordion, in Lady and the Tramp?

And why would Italy have a major manufacturer of concertinas if nobody there ever played them?

But as with concertinas and sailors, the concept in the mind of the person requesting the music may have little or nothing to do with the reality. I would be asking them for examples to listen to.

I would ask them for names / references to a few specific 'Venetian concertina players' the client particularly admires to give a better idea of what they're looking for, quietly expecting to receive photos of accordion players in response to this request (at which point you can gently steer them towards the right terminology and people to ask).

Or, they might introduce you to a whole set of musicians you didn't know about, who actually play Venetian music on anglo concertina and whose music amazes you and inspires you to become the first American Venetian concertina player and gives you material for your next album.

Either way, it's a win, right? B)

Edited by wayman

Venice has a very long and rich musical history, certainly going back much further than the invention of any of the commonly heard European free reed instruments. Antonio Vivaldi (1678 - 1741) lived in Venice, but even he was a newcomer, musically speaking. I suspect none of this will be of any help, and an approach as outlined above by wayman (is that you, Will, in Sheffield UK?) would be the most reasonable.