Londonderry Air

Dirge

Well done, very tasty indeed.

Anyway Dirge, what I'm getting at is, in most Irish Sessions over here, you'd probably be chased from the premises & barred for life, for even suggesting to play Danny Boy. However, at our Saturday night session anything goes & in any case, for me, a good melody will always be a good melody & this is a truly great one, which I never mind playing, or listening to, especially when it's played as well as you play it here ........ so goodonya! B)

Cheers,

Dick

Ancient Music of Ireland - great link.Mni tks

(Tho I am not sure how good a likeness is the drawing of you literally flying/dancing out of the hairdressers with a fresh perm (and with wings, and bells on your waist) presumably with O'Carolan on the harp to your left, he having returned from a well-paid weekend gig in Scotland).

Your point about the speedy reel type of tune's origin makes one wonder whether some were rally Scottish reels, brought across the water during various 'recent' people movements, and so not truly ancient-traditional Irish toons. Just as I suppose the Vikings brought music across the same latitude during their weekend package tours by longboat.

Someone I am in contact with on the other side (offspring of Seán Uí Néill, Ard Rí na h'Éireann) declares 'the deep, ancient tunes stand above these "modern traditional" ones, tho there is no harm in the latter at all, at all, at all'.

:)

Well of course we all know that the best Irish Reels, all started out in Scotland! :P

As for the Ancient & the Modern Irish Music, I don't think one's better than the other, I just think there's a place for both ... all part of life's rich tapestry! :)

Cheers,

Dick