Tune Of The Month Offspring

Jim Besser

Here's a set I've been working on for a while, and am still not satisfied with. I posted an earlier version I played with Randy Stein, but I haven't figured out exactly how to make this work solo.

Update: Link worked, then didn't work. Here it is on Soundcloud.

The tunes: The New Anything and St. Catherine's, both from the Playford repertoire.

http://abcnotation.com/tunePage?a=tunearch.org/wiki/New_Anything.no-ext/0001

http://abcnotation.com/tunePage?a=trillian.mit.edu/~jc/music/book/JohnWalsh/St_Catherine/0000

The set was included on the first CD by Leveret, with Rob Harbron on English concertina, and I loved the sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tev4RxJQwJE

I'd be very interested in hearing how others play these tunes!

Played on a Morse G/D Anglo hybrid.

Edited by Jim Besser

Jim, thanks a lot for this new round of learning new tunes with this inspirational set. Love the minor transits in the B section of the second one, which is played and arranged nicely too.

Hope I'll find time and momentum for a contribution anytime soon...

Best wishes - Wolf

Nice one, Jim. Strange coincidence. When I saw the suggestion to post here as an alternative to TOTM, New Anything was precisely the tune that occurred to me. The set has been popular with some friends of mine since the Leveret recording first appeared and last year I arranged New Anything for village band, a very different take which I'll try to record part of as a concertina duet tomorrow. No time now - off to see Fay Hield (sigh :rolleyes: ) and the Hurricane Party, featuring Robert Harbron!

Nice one, Jim. Strange coincidence. When I saw the suggestion to post here as an alternative to TOTM, New Anything was precisely the tune that occurred to me. The set has been popular with some friends of mine since the Leveret recording first appeared and last year I arranged New Anything for village band, a very different take which I'll try to record part of as a concertina duet tomorrow. No time now - off to see Fay Hield (sigh :rolleyes: ) and the Hurricane Party, featuring Robert Harbron!

I'd really like to hear your version!

I have a feeling the Leveret CDs are going to have a huge impact on traditional musicians. The group is so tight, they are all so talented, it's just amazing music.

I have a feeling the Leveret CDs are going to have a huge impact on traditional musicians. The group is so tight, they are all so talented, it's just amazing music.

Bit of a first take but heyho! The top two lines of a village band arrangement intended for a variety of instruments. It sort of works on two ECs. We follow New Anything with Italian Rant, another Playford tune, which coincidentally appears on the latest Leveret CD. Yes, they're wonderful. They rarely rehearse together - just send each other tunes on their phones - and there are no arrangements, just glorious sympathetic weaving in and out of each other's playing, fresh every time. We had two thirds of them as part of the Hurricane Party last night, accompanying Fay Hield. Great concert. And, as well as concertina and fiddle, Robert Harbron played the banjo once - who knew?

Bit of a first take but heyho! The top two lines of a village band arrangement intended for a variety of instruments. It sort of works on two ECs. We follow New Anything with Italian Rant, another Playford tune, which coincidentally appears on the latest Leveret CD. Yes, they're wonderful. They rarely rehearse together - just send each other tunes on their phones - and there are no arrangements, just glorious sympathetic weaving in and out of each other's playing, fresh every time. We had two thirds of them as part of the Hurricane Party last night, accompanying Fay Hield. Great concert. And, as well as concertina and fiddle, Robert Harbron played the banjo once - who knew?

Nice combination of tunes, and I really like your two-instrument arrangements! Very different from the ones I've worked on with Randy Stein.

Leveret +1 - I agree Jim, the bar has been raised to a very high level. I expect you already have In the Round - worth buying just for Glory of the Sun - wow!

Thanks for starting this thread - I have the abc of New Anything on screen and will definitely have a go even if I do not post anything,

Leveret +1 - I agree Jim, the bar has been raised to a very high level. I expect you already have In the Round - worth buying just for Glory of the Sun - wow!

Thanks for starting this thread - I have the abc of New Anything on screen and will definitely have a go even if I do not post anything,

Oh yes, I ordered In the Round as soon as it became available. Amazing ensemble playing that really raises the bar.

I listened to St Catherine and thought "I know that by another name". Indeed it is in my session tunebook as "My Lord Cutts Delight", and it looks as if that is the name used in Henry Atkinson (1694) that precedes Playford 1701, which has it as St Catherine.

I assume the likely name origin is after Lieutenant-General John Cutts, 1st Baron Cutts (1661 – 1707), British soldier and author. Interestingly he attended St Catharine's Hall Cambridge, the predecessor of St Catharine's College, so perhaps that is the connection to the Playford name!

Anyway, I've just done a swift recording of it on John Connor English concertina #2. It's on SoundCloud.

Regarding the New Anything, it's been played a couple of times recently at a local session, so I'll have a go at it when I've had a bit more practice!

Edited by Paul_Hardy

I listened to St Catherine and thought "I know that by another name". Indeed it is in my session tunebook as "My Lord Cutts Delight", and it looks as if that is the name used in Henry Atkinson (1694) that precedes Playford 1701, which has it as St Catherine.

I assume the likely name origin is after Lieutenant-General John Cutts, 1st Baron Cutts (1661 – 1707), British soldier and author. Interestingly he attended St Catharine's Hall Cambridge, the predecessor of St Catharine's College, so perhaps that is the connection to the Playford name!

Anyway, I've just done a swift recording of it on John Connor English concertina #2. It's on SoundCloud.

Regarding the New Anything, it's been played a couple of times recently at a local session, so I'll have a go at it when I've had a bit more practice!

Really admire your clean playing!

I think there was an extensive discussion of the tune on Melodeon.net a while back.

Well, I've had a bit more practice (like a total of about 20 minutes over two days!), so here's a recording of current state on SoundCloud.

Really admire your clean playing!

Thanks. This New Anything is not quite so clean - a few notes held too long or almost skipped over.

Also, I am very much a single note at a time person - I have great admiration for anyone who can split their brain in two and play accompaniment at the same time as playing a melody!

Hereby I'm gladly resuming learing and contributing with my first recording of

New Anything - St. Catherine

- thank you Jim for reviving TOTM through this "offspring" thread!

Best wishes - Wolf

Aren't they all 'WIPs?' (works in progress). Nicely done. Nice stately pace. Interesting chords on St. Catherine's. I think I like them.

Thanks for the prompt to dust off my concertina again!

https://soundcloud.com/mrrowl/the-new-anything

Highly enjoyable, Danny! Might fit well to a classic children's cartoon (as I was involuntarily envisaging with my listen).

(Jim, it's an English - TT I should reckon)

Best wishes - Wolf