So Who's The Concertina Player?

JimLucas

I assume it's Tom Kruskal.

I didn't know Tom played that style. But then it's been more than a couple of decades since I last saw him.

Well done... and not just the concertina. :)

Edited to add: I just did some online searching, and it seems that Tom taught them (and others) rapper, so I can well believe that he also plays for them.

Very well done!

Edited by JimLucas

I assume it's Tom Kruskal.

I didn't know Tom played that style. But then it's been more than a couple of decades since I last saw him.

Well done... and not just the concertina. :)

Edited to add: I just did some online searching, and it seems that Tom taught them (and others) rapper, so I can well believe that he also plays for them.

Very well done!

When I first listened I thought it sounded more like Jody. But I know Tom plays for those guys. Your right, very well done. Playing for rapper on Anglo isn't easy - which is why you hear Swallowtail Jig over and over again at rapper events. One jig that's not too hard to play at blinding speeds!

Too bad the two times they raise the lock into the air the camera operator doesn't think to follow it up.

Aye, but at least we can see that it remains intact when they toss it to the ground and then pick it up again. That's the test of a well-made lock (star).

Very nice playing, but I'm thinking the dancing was even better. 5 in the group. To my way of thinking much more difficult than 6 or more, particularly the lock... But then I don't dance this stuff so I certainly could be wrong. Thanks for the posting!

Very nice playing, but I'm thinking the dancing was even better.

Absolutely. These "kids" are fantastic!

Here they are again, the year before at the DERT (Dancing England Rapper Tournament), with Tom and his concertina in the background.

And in this earlier incarnation you can clearly see that in addition to innovation, excellence, and precision, they're having fun! :) Two fiddles instead of concertina, but I'm not complaining.

And here's one of Tom's other rapper teams.

There are a few more videos of Tom's teams on YouTube, and many more of other rapper teams, though few with concertina. :( ;)

Very nice playing, but I'm thinking the dancing was even better. 5 in the group. To my way of thinking much more difficult than 6 or more, particularly the lock... But then I don't dance this stuff so I certainly could be wrong. Thanks for the posting!

Five is pretty standard for rapper, although you do occasionally see bigger sets.

That's a great clip (and a great bit of spot-on punchy playing), and I recently realised in a conversation after being once again blown away by the speed and derring-do of Black Swan Rapper that it's the only form of English trad. display dance that I've never played for ...

This is a favourite topic of mine; I like watching rapper so much.

Being located in Canada and a Morris sort, I see a lot of these young teams and they are marvelous to watch. Enthusiastic, daring, exuding fun and passion for the dance.

It's exhilarating to watch; I think at an ale in 2012 there were 5 sets in one dance; amazing.

However, the speed at which they perform, they seem to me to scamper around and not dance.(same as the older guys in Jim's video above).

It changes the whole dynamic of the show.

Second , if you don't wear leather shoes, the stepping sounds like a soft shuffle not the crisp ,"as one" sound.

Try this...............played much slower giving the men time to dance . Stone Monkey.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZoDCIIjNqE

Start at minute 1 and watch their beautiful stepping.

Finally.........to admit some self-interest, my daughter dances for the Toronto Women's Sword and can be seen at minute 4 and to admit even more self interest, that bloke in a yellow jacket at the beginning playing a melodeon is me ; playing for the Toronto Morris men. And that's Paul Read at the front right, top of the set.

When it's pouring rain a beater melodeon is the way to go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdlot7hgj_I

...my daughter dances for the Toronto Women's Sword and can be seen at minute 4...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdlot7hgj_I

Papa Stour. I've always liked that dance. First saw it done by Half Moon Sword of NYC.

What's the last sword dance in the video? Seems to have a couple of figures I don't recall seeing back in the days when I was dancing.

This is a favourite topic of mine; I like watching rapper so much.

Being located in Canada and a Morris sort, I see a lot of these young teams and they are marvelous to watch. Enthusiastic, daring, exuding fun and passion for the dance.

It's exhilarating to watch; I think at an ale in 2012 there were 5 sets in one dance; amazing.

However, the speed at which they perform, they seem to me to scamper around and not dance.(same as the older guys in Jim's video above).

It changes the whole dynamic of the show.

I agree that it's a different dynamic, but I certainly don't think it's an inferior one. I think there's definitely room for both. A good team with the "modern" dynamic is at least as precise, and their stepping just as audible, even if lighter in quality.

Second , if you don't wear leather shoes, the stepping sounds like a soft shuffle not the crisp ,"as one" sound.

I'd characterize it as a difference between hard and soft soles. Modern athletic shoes just won't do (does anybody actually use those for rapper??), but a leather substitute like Neolite® should be just as good. And at lest as important is the quality of the floor (or "floor"). Grass just doesn't cut it, nor sand nor soft dirt. Dry, hard-packed dirt, asphalt, or cement will at least produce some noise when battered, but only wood -- preferably a sprung hardwood floor -- will give back a fine resonance. Alas, the days of wooden-soled clogs on cobblestones are pretty much a thing of the past. :(

Glad you watched it all the way to the end Jim.

That is a new dance choreographed by them to the tune Horseshoes and Rainbows by the late Oliver Schroer. Funky tune, eh!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGTUZygCTxs

( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-_sjz6Iazo He died shortly after this concert.)

but I certainly don't think it's an inferior one.

............agreed; it's an evolution .

Edited by Robin Harrison

That is a new dance choreographed by them to the tune Horseshoes and Rainbows by the late Oliver Schroer. Funky tune, eh!

I had noticed that it was a tune I wasn't familiar with, and probably not pre-20th century. :)

Nice tune, yes. Candidate for a future Tune of the Month?

Fine performance. Are those couple of distortions of the pitch recording artifacts, or deliberate moves by the players?

( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-_sjz6Iazo He died shortly after this concert.)

That's a loss. What from?

Five is pretty standard for rapper, although you do occasionally see bigger sets.

That's a great clip (and a great bit of spot-on punchy playing), and I recently realised in a conversation after being once again blown away by the speed and derring-do of Black Swan Rapper that it's the only form of English trad. display dance that I've never played for ...

Thanks for the info Steve. Filed and perhaps remembered! :)