Hayden Videos

I have just completed my (as always, quite rough) recording of "Apley House". Reason for learning it: I just like it a lot. Reason for uploading and posting: I kept the whole piece in Gmaj and its relatives, thus playing the B-part in Dmix (Mixolydian). This may be not very "traditional" (or even more so?), and I really like David's video (with the B-part in Dmaj), but this is the way the tune really became my own.

Edit: This is related to another thread too (link adjusted).

Edited by blue eyed sailor

Regarding the Playford dots:

I just found a historical source for "Parsons Farewell" by accident:

parsonsfarewellogjfl.jpg

Apparently the sun and moon symbols represent men and women here. There may thus be a mistake with the Apley House instructions...

Edited by blue eyed sailor

I've been off c.net a few days, but I can clear some of this up.

The moons and suns are, indeed, men and women, respectively. There are only two of each in Parson's Farewell because it is a dance for two couples facing each other, as in the diagram. Apley House is in longways formation for as many as will. The diagram shows four couples in longways formation.

Wolf-

I never considered playing the B section of Apley House without the C# in the harmony. I never noticed that Playford didn't include them in the key signature. Interesting.