Forums Software Updated again

Support for the old version of the software was being discontinued, so to keep the system safe and secure from hackers, I had to update to the latest version to keep receiving security patches/fixes/updates.

I know it looks pretty different, but I had no choice, so please try to just figure it out... I'm in the same boat as the rest of you!

Thanks,

Paul

I know it looks pretty different, but I had no choice, so please try to just figure it out... I'm in the same boat as the rest of you!

Now I know I don't need to report the "database error" I was getting... while the update process was running, I presume. :o

I'll give it a go. :)

First request:

If it's not too hard, I would really like to have the "Preview Post" button appear by default at the bottom of the editor (as it used to), not just because I don't want to be bothered by the extra click (on "More Reply Options") in order to access it, but also because I think it's a good idea for everyone to be reminded that they can (and "should") read what they've written and correct typos before posting.

Loss of "Unread" history?

I'm not sure what's going on here, but when I try to view a thread that I have read previously, whether or not it has new content since I last read it, the display now always starts with the very first post.

Has the update caused the loss of the previous read-vs.-unread information from the database, or just the connection that lets it use that information? Is it something that can be easily corrected, or have I permanently lost the ability to see in which threads I haven't kept up to date on my reading?

Edited to add:

Not so much a loss as a disconnect? I've just returned to a couple of threads that I had read since the update, and each has still begun with the thread's first post at the top of the display, not with the last posts of the thread. (Not enough new posts since the update to worry about beginning the display at the first unread post.)

So I decided to see what happens when I look at the "Something for the Weekend" thread, which (with my browser settings) stretches to 21 pages. It still starts me at the thread's very first post. Ouch! I do hope this can be fixed by changing a simple setting, and that it's not an inescapable change in Invision policy toward functionality.

Edited by JimLucas

The dot to the left of a topic title brings you to the first unread post.

It does now. Thanks.

But what's the difference between the dot and the star?

Or better still, can you tell us where to find a user manual (not a manual for administrators) for this latest version?

I'm hoping that there are various "personal profile" settings that I might use to get the behavior I prefer. (E.g., "full editor" -- where I can edit the source, -- for which I was shown a button once yesterday, but only once.)

Edited to add:

Ah, there it is! The "Use Full Editor" button appears when I edit my previous post. But that's the only place I've seen it.

And -- sigh -- I'm not getting the old "full editor". In fact, it seems to give me the same WYSIWYG editor I was in when I selected "Full Editor". And with the WYSIWYG, I haven't yet found a way to extract a particular quote with its attribution from within a nested series of quotes. That's something I used to do a lot, so that it could be seen which few words in a novel-sized post I was responding to, unobscured by the irrelevant mass.

And the dot versus the star? I now see that the star means it's a thread in which I've posted. That's nice.

But now that I've read the latest posts, clicking on the dot or star has no effect. I would like to be put at the end of the thread to re-read it, but it seems that I can now only enter the thread by clicking on the thread title, and that positions me at the "top" (the very first post). I presume that if someone else adds a new post, the dot or star will again become active, but in the meantime, frustration.

Edited by JimLucas

I would like to be put at the end of the thread to re-read it, but it seems that I can now only enter the thread by clicking on the thread title, and that positions me at the "top" (the very first post). I presume that if someone else adds a new post, the dot or star will again become active, but in the meantime, frustration.

Try clicking on the date of the last post as listed on the right of any list of threads.

I would like to be put at the end of the thread to re-read it, but it seems that I can now only enter the thread by clicking on the thread title, and that positions me at the "top" (the very first post). I presume that if someone else adds a new post, the dot or star will again become active, but in the meantime, frustration.

Try clicking on the date of the last post as listed on the right of any list of threads.

That works.

Thanks.

The calendar seems not to be working.

Trying to enter the Scandinavian Squeeze-In, I clicked on the "Add Ranged Event" link, and I got this message:

Fatal error: Call to undefined method parseBbcode::showEditor() in /usr/www/users/aep/concertina/forums/admin8600/applications_addon/ips/calendar/modules_public/calendar/calendars.php on line 1221

Also, I haven't found any other events... none at all. Has everyone else completely stopped using the calendar, or were there some events in the system that somehow got lost in this latest update?

No matter which browser (Chrome, I.E., Firefox) I use I cannot access the smileys when making a post, Click on the icon and nothing happens, I can't believe it's unique to me but I'd appreciate a heads up if anyone can use smileys from a dropdown list of graphics without resorting to typing symbols like 'colon D'

I generally use Safari on my Mac for this forum and I posted a message this morning with a smiley. Just for grins, I'm using FireFox now (same Mac). Let's see what happens...

Click on [More Reply Options]

Click on :)

There's the array of smileys. Choosing one at random: :rolleyes:

So far, so good. Now let's preview this post before setting it loose...

Click on [Preview Post]

Seems to work OK.

Click on [Add Reply]

[Edited for typo]

Edited by David Barnert

No matter which browser (Chrome, I.E., Firefox) I use I cannot access the smileys when making a post, Click on the icon and nothing happens, I can't believe it's unique to me but I'd appreciate a heads up if anyone can use smileys from a dropdown list of graphics without resorting to typing symbols like 'colon D'

How about the following?

When I click on "More Reply Options", I get what seems to be the same editor again, but with three "Post Options" to the right, which can be either checked or unchecked. One of those is "Enable emoticons".

When I go there, I'm always presented with that one and the "Enable signature" checked, while "Follow this topic" is unchecked. I can change these for an individual post, but I haven't yet found a way to make such a change (e.g., unchecking "Enable signature", since I don't have one) "permanent" (i.e., carry over to subsequent posts, so I don't have to change it every time).

But perhaps your defaults are set (how?) so that "Enable emoticons" unchecked?

But here's another factor:

If I click on the smiley in the toolbar at the top of the editor, it doesn't give me the "list" of emoticons vertically at the right of the

editor, as it used to. Instead, the full list of smileys now appears along the bottom, along with the text "Show All" to click on to get the table of smileys with their text equivalents.

I don't know if either of those observations will help you, though. :unsure:

Hi

I mainly access c.net from my iPod but I am struggling to access most discussions with a 'fatal error' message being displayed. It tells me I logged in.

Is anyone else having this problem ?

Jeremy

iPod or iPad? I'm right now using my wife's 2nd generation iPad with no trouble.

iPod 4th generation - I think - and have the latest software installed. The 'new content' button never works and most individual discussion themes don't work either. I tried downloading the forum app but couldn't get it to recognise concertina.net

It's fine on a PC when I can get to one.

Thanks

Jeremy

Sussed it - sort off.

When using my ipod it defaults to the mobile version which just doesn't work for me. If I switch to the full version I can read posts and new content as usual. If anyone finds a fix for this, please let me know.

Thanks

Jeremy