#1 nkgibbs

nkgibbs

Chatty concertinist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 22 December 2017 - 01:16 PM

Dear C.netters,

I was looking at the Imperial war Museum online collection and found this WW1 Anglo........from the bellows papers it looks like a Jones with crudely replaced ends?

It is ironic that the description of this exhibit in London are not as well documented as the WW1 concertinas held in the Australian War Museum and previously discussed here.

Wishing all a a very merry Christmas and Happy New Year,

Neil

Edited by nkgibbs, 22 December 2017 - 01:17 PM.

#2 lachenal74693

lachenal74693

Chatty concertinist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 01:09 AM

I was looking at the Imperial war Museum online collection and found this WW1 Anglo........from the bellows papers it looks like a Jones with crudely replaced ends?

It is ironic that the description of this exhibit in London are not as well documented as the WW1 concertinas held in the Australian War Museum and previously discussed here.

That's interesting (I have a 'tina probably used by a soldier in France in the early part of WWI). One point:

The IWM entry lists the buttons as ivory - more likely to be bone?

R

Edited by lachenal74693, 23 December 2017 - 01:09 AM.

#3 Chris Ghent

Chris Ghent

Heavyweight Boxer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1072 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 06:06 AM

What is ironic about it Neil..?

nkgibbs,on 23 December said

Edited by Chris Ghent, 23 December 2017 - 06:08 AM.

#4 Anglo-Irishman

Anglo-Irishman

Heavyweight Boxer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1492 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 07:02 AM

One point:

In the context of antique musical instruments, isn't "bone" just the Politically Correct word for ivory?

Cheers,

John

#5 JimLucas

JimLucas

Ineluctable Opinionmaker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10193 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 07:45 AM

One point:

In the context of antique musical instruments, isn't "bone" just the Politically Correct word for ivory?

No.

Actually ivory was rare and expensive.  It would only have been used in deluxe instruments, if at all.  In early deluxe concertinas, maybe.  Later ones generally had metal buttons -- perhaps gold-plated, -- or maybe even glass buttons, like a couple of my Lachenals.

Bone -- from horses or cows? -- was commonly used, as it was easy to work with and no great loss if something went wrong and it had to be discarded.

And on an actual instrument, it shouldn't be difficult to tell the difference, since the two materials have different "grain" patterns.

#6 nicx66

nicx66

Chatty concertinist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 10:35 AM

An early childhood memory going through the trenches in the museum, however, I do not remember the concertina. My musical tastes at the time were more Labyrinth-era Bowie. Very cool !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users