Stout Bros.

Ted Longhurst

tedlonghurst@gmail.com

I have had for some time, an English concertina that I thought was a Wheatstone. As I am now over 70 y.o.a., I wondered about selling it as I don't use it nowadays. I learnt as a child in the late 40s and early 50s and played brass band music arranged by my father at Salvation Army gatherings with my him and my older sister.

Upon opening the instrument I found No. 18685; Stout Bros, West India Road, Limehouse. On the outside where the makers sticker is usually positioned, is a sticker of Salvationist Publishing and Supplies, Judd Street, London (who would have originally sold the instrument).

O.K. all you experts out there, what do you know about it? Am I to be a millionaire overnight or do I weep tears of joyat keeping and not of sadness at losing an old friend?

Edited by Ted Longhurst

We would love to know more about your and your family's playing and the concertina in S.A. music, if you care to tell us more (while waiting for the valuation experts to respond).

Ken Coles

Ted,

Stout Bros, 8, West India Dock Road E. are known of from late 19th century directory entries, but that's about all, and they must have repaired or sold your concertina at some time. However, that serial number would seem to suggest that the instrument is either an Edward Chidley era Wheatstone, or a Louis Lachenal.

If you could post (or email) some photos it would be a big help in determinig which. Whether it has a riveted or "hook" action, and screwed or riveted reeds would be very significant.

Edited by Stephen Chambers

We would love to know more about your and your family's playing and the concertina in S.A. music, if you care to tell us more (while waiting for the valuation experts to respond).

Ken Coles

I was born as a third generation Salvationist; my paternal grandfather was a convert to the SA having been a member of the 'skeleton army' and took part in the famous Worthing 'riot'.

I was taught to play the concertina at a very early age and used the instrument to accompany congregational singing until I rebelled at the age of 20 and left the SA for nearly 30 years. I re-affirmed my faith in 1984 at the age of 54.

We also played as a trio at several 'divisional' SA meetings and festivals in the late 40s and early 50s. After I left the SA my father sold the instruments and I did not play for that period.

Upon my return to the Army, I felt the need to own a 'tina again; at the time it was quite useful again as accompaniment. I bought the instrument in 1985 for £50 from a retired lady brigadier and had it retuned to standard pitch and overhauled by Hobgoblin at Crawley, West Sussex at a cost of £200.

Now at 70 the Army has moved on; new premises and state of the art audio/visual equipment means that I and my concertina are surplus to requirements although I still play in the brass band. Additionally, my 'tina nor its owner take kindly to m odern worship song harmony and rhythm (or lack of it!).

That's about it! Ain't it a shame to grow old!

Regards,

Ted Longhurst

Ted,

Stout Bros, 8, West India Dock Road E. are known of from late 19th century directory entries, but that's about all, and they must have repaired or sold your concertina at some time. However, that serial number would seem to suggest that the instrument is either an Edward Chidley era Wheatstone, or a Louis Lachenal.

If you could post (or email) some photos it would be a big help in determinig which. Whether it has a riveted or "hook" action, and screwed or riveted reeds would be very significant.

Thank you for your prompt reply. I have a few pictures of the outside. I will tonight do the inside and attach them to another reply,

Ted

• 3 weeks later...