Very sad news

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am very sorry never to have met him, having read so many of his posts here.

His name will, I suppose, be known for generations, just as Wheatstone and Lachenal are. I see no reason to doubt that the instruments that he has created will be cherished in his memory.

Robin Madge

Oh dear. I only met him a few times, but I always enjoyed conversations with him and I continue to be delighted with my Ceili. There will be a big empty space at the NCW next month.

jdms

I had no idea...

This is a real shock. I first met Rich in November 1982 and have always considered him a friend. He is also the reason I play the concertina. My sincerest condolences to all.

Edited to add:

Here is the text of the message sent out by the Button Box three hours ago, which I only just saw:

As many of you know, 14 years ago Rich Morse was diagnosed with melanoma. In the years that he successfully avoided the progression of the disease, he accomplished many of the things he wanted. Sadly, the melanoma recently returned and spread rapidly; treatments couldn't keep up, and last night, Rich passed away. The end was quiet and peaceful, for which we are all grateful.

Our last printed catalogue gave Rich's job description as "Guiding Light," and so he was. We will carry on, but we will miss him very much.

Regards,

The Button Box Staff

Edited by David Barnert

What a shock! I only had passing contact with Rich through this site and a couple of phone calls - I knew him to be an intelligent and kind man, generous with his knowledge. My condolences to his family and friends.

Samantha

I had no idea...

This is a real shock. I first met Rich in November 1982 and have always considered him a friend. He is also the reason I play the concertina. My sincerest condolences to all.

Same applies to me, David, except the date is 2004. It's RIch who got me into concertinas, and steered me to the Hayden DUet. We met thru piano ragtime.

I'll always be grateful to him, and for the hours I got to spend iwth him.

The Duet world mourns. All concertina players mourn. --Mike K.

I'm also shocked, saddened, and sobered. I met Rich last spring at the Northeast Concertina Workshop, he showed me around the shop and talked about future plans. I hope his memory and inspiration keep the Button Box and the concertina community in general moving forward and innovating. Here's a photo from their web site of the Workshop I attended, with Rich in the front row in his Button Box T-Shirt, and a lot of other C-Net regulars (click for large version):

NWC-08-group-s.jpg

I am shocked and greatly saddened by this news. I first corresponded with Rich back in the mid-80s because of a mutual interest in the Hayden duet concertina, when the Button Box wasn't much more than a two man operation. He gave me a lift to Bucksteep Manor for my first NESI, and put me up at his house a couple of years ago on my most recent concertina venture to western Massachusetts for NCW. His contributions to <concertina.net> were always courteous, helpful, and thoughtful. His knowledge and spirit of honesty and fairness have been infused into the Button Box, a business I hold in great respect. I hope his plan for a Morse Hayden can still go forward. My condolences to his family, all the folks at the Button Box, and all his many friends and acquaintances. The concertina world has lost a great friend.

Edited by jim bayliss

Sad news, indeed. I'm very sorry. I never met the man nor had chance to talk to him - incidentaly, the lovely staff at the button box always helped me patiently with my questions in a difficult, foreigner languaje to me - .

But as the proud owner of one of his instruments I can guess the type of man he was; an instrument made with both love and fine craftmanship.

My condolences to his friends and relatives.

Fer