Tune Of The Month For March, 2013: The Fiery Clockface

Jim Besser

On a brighter note I spent four hours yesterday trying to play this piece in D on my Maccann Duet.. perhaps I will not succeed in making a good enough performance of it before the end of March but at least it really got me working and I learnt quite a lot too. After all that is the real purpose of this Tune of The Month forum surely ?

Yes! That's the purpose of the forum. And I think it's starting to work!

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On a brighter note I spent four hours yesterday trying to play this piece in D on my Maccann Duet.. perhaps I will not succeed in making a good enough performance of it before the end of March but at least it really got me working and I learnt quite a lot too. After all that is the real purpose of this Tune of The Month forum surely ?

I wouldn't mind you presenting your Duet version in the month of April or even later than that... :)

(In fact I would find this very interesting, all the more because I decided to stick just with the EC whereas you - playing your EC with melody and accompaniment as well and therefore not being in that urgent need of the Duet obviously - are following the other path)

Here is the same tune but on the Geordie baritone ( my previous one was done on the Albion treble).

https://www.box.com/shared/x20qcixw74kt1bsfbq9u

I've also added this to my previous post.

My recording methods are primitive so I'm probably not the best source for the ultimate audio

Audio is fine, and the sound of the baritone is glorious.

Minor 6ths, they are, at the beginning of the tune, but the neat thing about 3rds and 6ths is that as long as you stay within the key signature, harmony lines will contain both, and that's what happens in the B section where you play the melody and a harmony line a 6th below it, going back and forth between major and minor as the key signature requires.

Aha, yes... and thanks for stating this, Dave, because although I "sort of" knew this, the logic of it hadn't really sunk in. Now it has! :)

So here's something else that you might "sort of know" but bears repeating.

Sixths are just inverted thirds, that is, a sixth down is an octave lower than a third up. But a major third corresponds to a minor sixth and a minor third corresponds to a major sixth.

So at the beginning of your recording, when you harmonize the D in the melody with the F# below (minor sixth below), it's just the third above (F#) brought down an octave.

I went ahead and put all the Youtube entries together in a playlist, for those of us who just can't get enough of Fiery Clock Face:

It's pretty neat, if your computer hooks up to your television then it's like watching MTV but better.

I went ahead and put all the Youtube entries together in a playlist, for those of us who just can't get enough of Fiery Clock Face:

It's pretty neat, if your computer hooks up to your television then it's like watching MTV but better.

For the record... Since I use box.com, I am able to 'Invite Collaborators' and make one big pile of MP3s (for those of use not using YouTube). I would need an email address, to send the invitation to, and then the recipient would have to upload/send to the folder in my box.com account. At present, the name reflected on the account says 'Ladybirds Gallery,' but there is nothing else to connect you to my personal business or sales of old papers.

I have plenty of space available still, at box.com.

I am not seeking to do this, really, unless a lot of you would like to. Very simple to do. So, just let me know... and, of course, the folder would be public and easily available.

]][/url]

That's great: there are a couple in there that I'd missed, especially as I deliberately didn't listen to anyone else's take on the tune until I had done my own ... On to April!

Since I don't often play tunes in D, I thought it would be a good exercise to try this tune on a CG (after all it's only one extra sharp). However, with most of the 'A' melody falling onto the left hand, the options for accompaniment are rather limited, since anything mildly interesting ties your fingers in knots. I could have played the A part an octave higher, but it sounded wrong to then drop down for the B part. So the best I could come up with was this sort of droney thing, for which I'm grateful to have a low d. I'm not sure it really brings anything to the party, but it was certainly fun to have a go at. So thanks Jim, for starting this initiative.

Adrian

http://www.adrianbrown.org/TOTM/the_fiery_clockface.mp3

Edited by aybee

Since I don't often play tunes in D, I thought it would be a good exercise to try this tune on a CG (after all it's only one extra sharp). However, with most of the 'A' melody falling onto the left hand, the options for accompaniment are rather limited, since anything mildly interesting ties your fingers in knots. I could have played the A part an octave higher, but it sounded wrong to then drop down for the B part. So the best I could come up with was this sort of droney thing, for which I'm grateful to have a low d. I'm not sure it really brings anything to the party, but it was certainly fun to have a go at. So thanks Jim, for starting this initiative.

Adrian

Well, with all the restrictions mentioned, it's certainly danceable (in addition to being quite listenable).

But is this really the first contribution to this thread where the tune is played in D without shifting octaves on a C/G?

Adrian

Nicely done.

As a mostly G/D player, it's interesting to me how different many D tunes sound on a C/G. For some reason I never tried Fiery CLockface on the C/G; today I will!

Adrian

Nicely done.

As a mostly G/D player, it's interesting to me how different many D tunes sound on a C/G. For some reason I never tried Fiery CLockface on the C/G; today I will!

Yes, it seems to me the logic behind having different pitched anglos is more to do with the different sounds associated with each size, and as you point out, playing in the same key on different sizes, often gives a totally different character to the piece, even between a instruments a tone apart.

Adrian

Instead of producing a better take I have reworked "my" Fiery Clockface regarding the musical approach - mainly to do the Jig bouncing more justice. So I'm still quite incontent with the actual outcome (swallowed notes, rhythmical inconsistencies a.s.f.), but I wanted to conclude that TOTM file within the current month - and feel free to carry out former rehearsing up to a real rewarding outcome...

So here it is (still only one time through).

Thank you all (and namely Jody) for your kind and beneficial remarks! And thank you again, Jim - learned quite a lot through this new institution of ours and am looking forward to April!

I think full marks for just shoving it up there without worrying about the finish, Wolf, so that everyone can think about it.

What happens at the end of the month? Does the topic get locked, or does it roll on as long as anyone is prepared to add something?

Instead of producing a better take I have reworked "my" Fiery Clockface regarding the musical approach - mainly to do the Jig bouncing more justice. So I'm still quite incontent with the actual outcome (swallowed notes, rhythmical inconsistencies a.s.f.), but I wanted to conclude that TOTM file within the current month - and feel free to carry out former rehearsing up to a real rewarding outcome...

So here it is (still only one time through).

Thank you all (and namely Jody) for your kind and beneficial remarks! And thank you again, Jim - learned quite a lot through this new institution of ours and am looking forward to April!

Nice one.

The topic will remain open, and there's no reason why folks can't keep adding recordings and discussing them after we move on to the next month's selection.

I think full marks for just shoving it up there without worrying about the finish, Wolf, so that everyone can think about it.

What happens at the end of the month? Does the topic get locked, or does it roll on as long as anyone is prepared to add something?

I didn't really worry about that - it's only that I had to realise not being able to present the satisfying intro / three-times-through / coda recording I had actually dedicated myself to within the next (jobwise challenging) days or even weeks and therefore wanted to let it go for the time being.

Recording my playing has been a completely new, quite amazing and very helpful experience to me.

Regarding the thread I'd believe it to be accessible without restrictions further on - just to discuss that certain tune and share related pieces of recorded music.

Regards - Wolf

• 2 weeks later...

Well, here we go 1st post anywhere! Warts and all. Played on a Marcus G/D

http://soundcloud.com/anobium/cnet-totm-0313-the-fiery/s-N24kP

Stumbles occur every time I start to think. Must get out of the thinking habit!

Technically, for anyone interested, I've recorded this on an ipad using the inbuilt mic using the soundcloud app. Seemed fairly painless but how does it sound out there?

Well, as I was " bottom of the class" with this one I thought I'd post progress so far. Still a long way to go, but better. Personally the totm is working for me, it's great to hear the different versions of the same tune together. I think my playing has progressed more this month than in the last 6-12. I'd hoped my first posting would inspired a few more of my fellow novice button twiddlers to have a go.?

Thanks Guys

http://snd.sc/10Y7NvA