Polskas

Sarah Swett

Took a minute or two to see that Fallandepolskan was what I was looking for....

You found it though, and what's life without a bit of a challenge?

You'll be playing Josefin's Dopvals (Josephine's Christening Waltz) next . . .

Oh, and the weird mechanical fiddle is a Swedish nykelharpa before you ask! ;)

Visit the Vasen website and scroll down a bit to watch some excellent videos. Roger Tallroth is the guitarist.

Edited by tallship

You'll be playing Josefin's Dopvals (Josephine's Christening Waltz) next . . .

Oh, she already has Pete!

Apart from that, excellent suggestion... B)

Thanks Wolf! Course now what I should do is make it more interseting -- add chords in an attempt to learn from you, some better dynamics etc, but it's hard when there are new tunes to learn! Sometimes I feel like a magpie, or even the dreaded packrat, collecting melodies and musical information like so many shiny things. Happily, they don't take up a lot of space, except in my brain.

As for Vasen - I do agree, they are fantastic. I happened upon them a few years ago, drawn to the mystery of the Nykleharpa though a mention of the bow used to play one, which led to the instrument and thus to the group. This was in my pre-concertina days when the idea of keyed strings was most enticing as I struggled with fiddle intonation...

• 5 weeks later...

Some polskas that I don't know the title except for the first "Rackelhanen" from the band "Ranarim". I learned the second and the third by ear.

https://soundcloud.com/thoon-1/polskas

One of those is very familiar from a recording - Andy Cutting maybe? It's on a CD somewhere. Nice playing, and very different in feel from some of the other stuff you've posted.

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...

I know of a couple of very sweet, slow polskas that I think would work quite well, though maybe better on the english as when I try Arepolska on my anglo it sounds a bit crass. http://abcnotation.com/tunePage?a=www.folkwiki.se/pub/cache/_%C5repolska_1f300a/0001and another one called Kerstins Brudpolska which I need to save the sheet music for from my tablet. Both have been recorded by an (freaking amazing) band called Hoven Droven if you wanna hear them.

I know of a couple of very sweet, slow polskas that I think would work quite well, though maybe better on the english as when I try Arepolska on my anglo it sounds a bit crass. http://abcnotation.com/tunePage?a=www.folkwiki.se/pub/cache/_%C5repolska_1f300a/0001and another one called Kerstins Brudpolska which I need to save the sheet music for from my tablet. Both have been recorded by an (freaking amazing) band called Hoven Droven if you wanna hear them.

Both are super polskas.

I find that polskas, espcially those that are essentuially fiddle tunes, work especially well on the English. I'm spending more time on tunes from Älvdalen - amazing tunes - I'm thinking of posting some on SoundCloud...

Edited by SteveS