The Twinkle Project

Jody Kruskal

Over the years, I have had dozens of students. My latest Skype learner is a gentleman in Canada. He is a very enthusiastic beginner on Anglo Concertina. He also has a great grand-child, so we are working on Twinkle Twinkle Little Star to get him going with a guaranteed audience of one.

I’ve been playing Twinkle for 30 years and the more I play it, the more I like it. The tune is deceptively simple. Starting out as a French children’s song, it was picked up by Mozart and is still number one with the child progenies... especially in the infant to 5 range.

Twinkle enjoys vast scope for arrangement including variations, improvisation, alternate chord changes and stylistic treatments. Still, no matter how you mess with it, somehow Twinkle always remains essentially itself.

So here is my first arrangement in Gary Goover’s excellent tab. This is for G/D Anglo but if you are playing another key, say C/G, no matter, simply play the buttons indicated and it will come out in the key of C just fine.

post-557-0-21386200-1437110192_thumb.jpg

If you want to offer your own version of Twinkle either as a score, tab or audio file, this is the place.

Edited by Jody Kruskal

...The tune is deceptively simple....

So is the (English?) children's tune 'Pop Goes The Weasel', played by Mr K on the Concertina & Squeezebox

'Revenge of Readers' tape. The arrangement of this 'simple' tune blew my socks off the first time I heard it!

Perhaps Mr.K can be persuaded to post this arrangement here also...

Roger

I you want to offer your own version of Twinkle either as a score, tab or audio file, this is the place.

OK, I'll bite. A great idea, Jody.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/68325595/Twinkle_Project_besser.MP3

Gotta have Greg look at those low reeds!

Played on a Jeffries 30 button GD Anglo.

Could this be the recording that teaches me to actually listen before posting?

Edited by Jim Besser