Wheatsone Jeffries Duet On Ebay

cherrygsc

Perhaps this will help clear the good name of The House of Musical Traditions (HMT) as well as help this forum....  But, in Mr. Eisner's message to me, he readily agreed to refund my full $50 appraisal fee which, when received, I will forward at once to you guys.

HMT was good to their word. I received a $50.00 check in the mail today. I have just sent my promised $50.00 PayPal payment to Paul. Thanks again.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But I would like to point out that the information I used to confirm my intuition was readilly available on the net.  I believe the "experts" on Antique Roadshow" avail themselves of each others opinions and do "off camera" research on the net before making their pronouncements.  Seems sensible.

I think our experts (Stephen, Jim etc) use these resources to check their beliefs too.

Paul,

Just to set the record straight : I know what a 46-key Maccann looks like, and a Jeffries duet, these instruments are commonplace to me. But I use the resources available on the net in order to provide the illustrations to make it clear to others. :)

HMT was good to their word. I received a $50.00 check in the mail today. I have just sent my promised $50.00 PayPal payment to Paul. Thanks again.

On behalf of Paul (Schwartz) and myself, Thanks! to you and everyone who helps out.

Ken

On behalf of we Ebay users, thank you for being so concientious in your research. I recently contacted a seller who was listing several upper-end concertinas and always has a load of literature on sale...She couldn't answer my question about the instructional material because she didn't know there were more than one "sort" of concertina! As a buyer, I appreciate your honesty and initiative! Thanks!

Greg

Dear cherryqsc,

(Just read your Ebay relisting)

Let me add my commendation for your extra efforts to "get things right".

Not all Ebayers are so conscientious.

I'm sure Paul and Ken appreciate your donation. I hope your auction is a great success.

Regards,

Greg J

Edited by Greg Jowaisas

But I would like to point out that the information I used to confirm my intuition was readilly available on the net.  I believe the "experts" on Antique Roadshow" avail themselves of each others opinions and do "off camera" research on the net before making their pronouncements.  Seems sensible.

I think our experts (Stephen, Jim etc) use these resources to check their beliefs too.

Paul,

Just to set the record straight : I know what a 46-key Maccann looks like, and a Jeffries duet, these instruments are commonplace to me. But I use the resources available on the net in order to provide the illustrations to make it clear to others. :)

Me thinks thee protest too much. :D

Just to set the record straight : I know what a 46-key Maccann looks like, and a Jeffries duet, these instruments are commonplace to me. But I use the resources available on the net in order to provide the illustrations to make it clear to others.  :)

Me thinks thee protest too much. :D

Nope. It's "Methinks the lady doth protest too much", from Hamlet.

Whatever Stephen is, he ain't no lady! :P

Me thinks thee protest too much.

Surely that should be :

"Methinks thou protesteth too much."

Nope. It's "Methinks the lady doth protest too much", from Hamlet.

Chris,

Two points :

1) In Hiberno-English, "Surely" forms not a question, but a statement, it is the equivalent of the American "For sure", or the English "Certainly".

In other words, I was both correcting, and "returning the compliment" to Tony.

2) I know the original source (Hamlet - Gertrude, III.ii) and the correct quote, which is actually: "The lady doth protest too much, methinks", but it is commonly rendered as "Methinks thou protesteth too much", and I didn't want people to think that I was calling anybody an old woman, did I ? :huh:

Maybe I have missed it, but is there a reference to concertinas in Hamlet or Shakespeare in general?  :D  :blink:  :P

There was supposed to be one in The Tempest :

"I would I could see this concertina player; he lays it on."

But he got drunk in a Deptford tavern, a monkey jumped onto his back and he got pressganged into the navy. All they could get for the first performance was a taborer ! ;) :rolleyes: :P