Play In A Concertina Band

Rachel Hall, who plays English concertina with the group Simple Gifts, will lead a concertina band at Folk College May 25-27 in central Pennsylvania. All concertinas welcome! Participants should be at least at an advanced beginner level. Sheet music will be provided.

Rachel has coached concertina bands (and taught concertina workshops) at the Squeeze-In and Northeast Concertina Workshop. She has recorded three albums with Simple Gifts and performed at the Old Songs Festival, the Philadelphia Folk Festival, and numerous other venues throughout the Mid Atlantic states. Rachel recently appeared as a soloist with the New Philadelphia Classical Symphony.

Here is more info from http://www.simplegiftsmusic.com/folkcollege/. There are discounts for early registration -- see the web site for details.

Folk College is a fun and friendly weekend of playing and hearing folk music. Pack up your instrument (or voice) and join us in central Pennsylvania for three days of workshops, jam sessions, concerts, and group playing. The camp is designed for musicians with eclectic tastes. Within one weekend, you’ll have a choice of workshops ranging from old-time to celtic to international, and you’ll get to sing, dance, play, and listen.

Musicians of all instruments and levels are welcome, and there are also choices for non-musicians to listen, learn, and experiment with folk music. Each evening features a staff concert followed by staff-led jam sessions. Friday after the concert, we hold a contradance with open band, and Saturday evening includes open mic.

You’ll also have an opportunity to be coached by a professional musician in a band setting and to perform in the student concert. Professional development will be offered for school teachers, including Act 48 credit for Pennsylvania teachers.

hello Rachel,

as i want to start learning some Irish tunes on English concertina i am looking/listening for the sound i like most of all. Since I haven't even bought one i was wondering which concertina you are playing. I like the 'Rigged Ships'-track. (The others are slowly loading.) Thanks for the advice.

Dirk De Bleser