Concertinists – Next Generation.

PeterT

The recent threads by LDT and Ptarmigan set me thinking. The demographics of this forum are as I expected, with many players being 50 (ish). Where are the young players? Are they out performing, or simply not there?

So; in this thread, here is the information for which I am looking:

Professional players aged up to 30. They can be playing concerts, clubs, festivals, or teaching at residential events. Performing either solo, or in groups, using concertina. I’ll accept multi-instrumentalists, too. The key thing is that they are current performers, under the loosest terming of “professional”.

I believe that, as a community, C.net should be promoting our young professional players, as this generation will be in the forefront of continued success for the concertina, otherwise there will be a lot of cheap instruments available in about in 25 years time!

The information will be a “snapshot”, and may be useful to anyone seeking to book these younger performers.

So; can I ask for the following information, please?

Name

Concertina system(s) played

Type(s) of music played

Country or area in which based/performing

Link to website, if known

I’d hope that we might have most of the information available by late December.

Thanks,

Peter.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions thus far.

I have added a posting on 3rd December, with a summary of all the names suggested. I am happy to add to this list.

Edited by PeterT

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chris Stevens is definitely one to watch out for. Plays several instruments exceedingly well though his main thing seems to be anglo concertina these days. He plays prodominantly traditional Irish dance tunes and is from Maine though currently working his way through UMass college in the Boston, MA (USA) area. He performs at concerts, dances and teaches around the area including this year at the Northeast Concertina Workshop.

-- Rich

Well, names of younger professional concertina players that spring to mind in good old Albion, include Chris Sherburn, Anglo, with Last Night's Fun, Damien Barber, EC, and Rob Harbron, EC, Simon Thoumire, EC and of course Colin's son, John Dipper, EC, who is mainly noted for his fiddle playing. But I don't have their birth certificates to hand, so can't say if they are under the age of thirty or not. And, no doubt, there may be some students on the Newcastle Folk Degree course, who play the concertina and become good enough to turn professional in the next year or two. They could be the rising stars of the future! Watch this space.....

Chris

Edited by Chris Drinkwater

Can't find an age as it happens but perhaps Rob Harbron fits the criteria (he looks quite young to me but at 55 I'm 'Mr Average' in cnet terms). Rob is a fine player of the English concertina, well established on the British folk scene. He has a website: Robert Harbron.

I'm really miffed now; he lists two gigs in Kent this month that I've missed, the first one was in Frittenden which is a small village that's about three miles from my home. :(

Can't find an age as it happens but perhaps Rob Harbron fits the criteria (he looks quite young to me but at 55 I'm 'Mr Average' in cnet terms). Rob is a fine player of the English concertina, well established on the British folk scene. He has a website: Robert Harbron.

I'm really miffed now; he lists two gigs in Kent this month that I've missed, the first one was in Frittenden which is a small village that's about three miles from my home. :(

Thanks for your reply, Peter.

I might consider stretching a point! I first met Robert at the ICA Festival of 1991, where he won the Intermediate English concertina class with marks of 88/100. I'm guessing that Robert would have been about 15 or 16 at the time, which puts him early/mid 30's now.

Incidentally, at the same competition, the Advanced English class was won by Danny Chapman (aka Ratface), 89/100 marks, who turned 35 earlier this month.

I was impressed by the playing of both Robert and Danny at the time, and they've both "come on a bit" since then.

I think you'll see why I chose to set the parameters as I did.

Ah; Frittenden, of treacle mine fame! Now if these musicians had a higher profile, concerts would not be missed. If someone as "into" concertinas as we both are missed his performance; what hope for the general public, and potential new players?

Regards,

Peter.

Well, names of younger professional concertina players that spring to mind in good old Albion, include Chris Sherburn, Anglo, with Last Night's Fun, Damien Barber, EC, and Rob Harbron, EC, Simon Thoumire, EC and of course Colin's son, John Dipper, EC, who is mainly noted for his fiddle playing. But I don't have their birth certificates to hand, so can't say if they are under the age of thirty or not. And, no doubt, there may be some students on the Newcastle Folk Degree course, who play the concertina and become good enough to turn professional in the next year or two. They could be the rising stars of the future! Watch this space.....

Chris

Hi Chris,

Hope you are well, and thanks for your suggestions.

I don't have the Birth certificates either, but here's what I know:

Chris Sherburn - he's been around for years, and is an excellent player. I have one of his CDs, so will check out details.

Damien Barber - I first met him at Ely Folk Festival in 1989, and was impressed by both his playing, and confidence in talking to me. Damien recently bought from me a photo which I took at the Peter Bellamy memorial concert back in 1992; so Damien had a good memory that I was the photographer. Can I quote an extract from Damien's MySpace biog.?

"Started playing melodeon aged 7 and went downhill from there. Turned professional after knacking up my A levels when I was 18. Finalist in BBC radio 2's Young Tradition Award 1989, 90, 91, 95 & 96 (was too old the last time but no one asked for ID so...)"

I attended the final of the first Young Tradition Award Final (1988) and was delighted to see that I knew 5 of the 13 finalists. The cut-off age was 21, making Damien now aged 34.

Robert Harbron - see my response to tallship.

Simon Thoumire - first recall meeting Simon at Sidmouth 1989, by which time I had already heard him playing on radio. He won the Young Tradition Award in 1989, and was doing club and festival bookings by this time. He must be aged late 30's.

John Dipper - an excellent musician, but I think "on the cusp" of 30. I first went to Colin Dipper's house in 1986, and I'm guessing that John would have been about 7 or 8 at the time.

Regards,

Peter.

Hey Guys

Let's not forget the members here, of which I know of two. There are probably more:

Devon McCabe

http://www.cemusic.net/

Juliette Daum

http://www.juliettedaum.com/disco.html

Does Asher Perkins from Edgley Concertina site play professionally?

There are a few other yunguns here like Patrick from Australia just getting started. Who knows where he will be in a couple of years. I'll bet the Comhaltas schools will have some more suggestions.

Maybe LDT will turn pro next year. ;) :D (No Pressure) :ph34r:

Thanks

Leo

OOPS Corrected web link

Edited by Leo

Juliette Daum

Hi Leo,

Well, I stand to be corrected, but I don't think that Juliette is "currently" performing. I think that she still visits C.net often enough to read this thread, so I'm sure she will make an appropriate comment.

Regards,

Peter.

Certainly fits the parameters! I can't remember his C.net id, but know he has been active in several threads.

Hi Peter

It's dpmccabe.

You're probably closer to Julliet than I am. I just read on her site she still enjoys busking as it helps pay for groceries. I don't know how current it is though :unsure:

Thanks

Leo

Edited by Leo

Chris

Chris Sherburn - he's been around for years, and is an excellent player. I have one of his CDs, so will check out details.

Can't find an exact age for Chris, but data in one biog. suggests that he is at least 32.

Perhaps not a proper suggestion because again I'm not sure of his age and he's mainly known for his fiddle playing skills but John Boden (or is it Jon - I can never remember which of Spiers and Boden is which) plays MacCann duet quite well, if rarely. I guess he sneaks in on professional status at least.

Perhaps not a proper suggestion because again I'm not sure of his age and he's mainly known for his fiddle playing skills but John Boden (or is it Jon - I can never remember which of Spiers and Boden is which) plays MacCann duet quite well, if rarely. I guess he sneaks in on professional status at least.

Hi Pete,

Very good try, and nearly there (there if we stretch the age-band a bit):

http://www.jonboden.com/biog.html

I'm learning a lot in this thread! I've re-visited a video of Spiers & Boden, and Jon plays a very nice four-row Jeffries Anglo in what I presume to be C/G. I was happily playing along to the tune, in C, and our fingers seemed to be following the same pattern on the left hand!

Thanks!

Peter.

I'm learning a lot in this thread! I've re-visited a video of Spiers & Boden, and Jon plays a very nice four-row Jeffries Anglo in what I presume to be C/G. I was happily playing along to the tune, in C, and our fingers seemed to be following the same pattern on the left hand!

Thanks!

Peter.

Eeek! I'm sending you off in the wrong direction Peter! If you're watching a video with an anglo in it that will be John Spiers (Cheshire Waltz perhaps?) - I'd not even thought to mention him! He's another 'almost in the criteria' concertinist. Must do more joined up thinking! :rolleyes:

Pete. :D