Playing While Laying Down

Brad_G

Since my chronic hip pain keeps me from sitting down for any length of time, I'm considering taking up the concertina. The small size makes it seem possible to play while laying on the couch or bed. I've received information (Thanks Tom) that at least someone has learned to play while recovering from an illness that required staying in bed.

Does anyone ever play while resting on the couch, laying in bed, or laying down at a picnic? Does anyone think one type is better for this (Anglo vs English)? Is this completely out of the question?

I would also be playing while standing up, but must be able to practice while laying down for the concertina to be an option.

Thanks in advance.

Brad

I've played anglo while lying flat on my back for relatively brief periods with success, and it's certainly possible, but semi-reclining might be better...I find the blood has a tendency to drain from my fingertips when playing fully horizontal! I don't know what the possibilities are in your case, but a position something like a reclining chair, or chaise longue might work for you.

Others might have differing experience, I find it easier to play the anglo than the English when horizontal simply because the English weighs heavily on my thumbs, one of which is arthritic...your mileage may vary, but the lighter the instrument the better. You might be able to rest it on chest or tummy. Generally there is a way to do something if you're persistent enough...you might also need to adapt the playing style by holding the ends at whatever angle is comfortable rather than trying to keep them relatively parallel.

For me also, being able to reach the low notes on the English while lying down is problematic, again because I usually don't use the little finger in the bracket, and am left with less leverage when I want to move to the lower notes closer to the wrist on the English. The straps and handrest on the anglo tend to distribute the weight of the instrument more on the wrist and less on the fingers or thumbs than the corresponding attachment points on the English....for me anyway.

My left wrist was broken in a construction fall several years ago, and I was temporarily deprived of being able to play almost everything, because I couldn't elevate, bend, or turn the wrist in its cast, but with a length of surgical tubing I found I could put the pennywhistle down where the hand was and get my right hand down there also, and thereby make at least a joyful noise, if not my best music....looked like a very thin baritone sax. :lol:

Luckily, the orthopedic surgeon on duty when I went in to the hospital was a guitar player himself and was sympathetic with my desire to play again. It's still a bit crooked, but I gradually got back on guitar, banjo, mando, and everything else, so...persevere, and I hope concertina works for you. You might consider low whistle as well...that can be played largely horizontal if you put a small pillow under each elbow. Just beware of the condensate rolling downhill to the mouthpiece!

Best wishes! ...and let us know how it works out for you!

Doug

Edited by paperpunchr

You might consider low whistle as well...that can be played largely horizontal if you put a small pillow under each elbow.

As a beginner on wooden flute, I did some practise lying down. This is helps reduce injuries sustained by hyperventialting and falling over!

For English concertina, I think if you had your elbows braced and maybe raised a bit, it would be quite possible to play, but the weight (and they're quite heavy) would pull in an awkward direction and it might cramp your hands a bit ... but everything is possible, and unlike a whistle or a flute, won't dribble all over you :(

Edited by spindizzy

Does anyone ever play while resting on the couch, laying in bed, or laying down at a picnic? Does anyone think one type is better for this (Anglo vs English)? Is this completely out of the question?

No - I do it all the time (English) , mainly as a "coming back from work"-routine :D , escpecially with tunes I am learning.

/Henrik

How about a piece, a block of dense foam covered or draped with a soft fabric to rest the left end of the concertina? This might rest on your chest or stomach or find support from the bed on your left side.

In effect you would be imitating the left thigh where the left end of the concertina traditionally rests when playing upright. The right hand manipulates the bellows.

You would need to exercise care to avoid having the bellows folds touching the support but that is no different than the upright position in using good technique to avoid bellows wear when anchoring the stationary end on a thigh.

Taking the weight away from your hands, fingers and in this case the elbows (lot's of twitchy nerves run though that joint) seems like a good idea to me.

Best of luck,

Greg

Edited by Greg Jowaisas

No need for blocks of foam as the weight of the instument (anglo) falls onto the palms. I sometimes practice with the bellows against my bent legs in the lying position. its fine for learning tunes.

• 5 months later...
Since my chronic hip pain keeps me from sitting down for any length of time, I'm considering taking up the concertina. The small size makes it seem possible to play while laying on the couch or bed. I've received information (Thanks Tom) that at least someone has learned to play while recovering from an illness that required staying in bed.

I would also be playing while standing up, but must be able to practice while laying down for the concertina to be an option.

Thanks in advance.

Brad

Brad,

I keep one of my concertinas next to the bed and will play it laying down before I go to bed. It is an anglo and it is quite easy to do (that is if you play anglo!)... In fact, I've fallen asleep a few times while playing... Those are VERY restful nights! You can't go as fast, perhaps as when sitting, but it is still very doable.

Onward,

Craig