Unavailable, topic deleted?

Yesterday I got a message, and it's been treated as a 'conversation' in the personnal messaging system, but I cannot reply, it says "Unavailable, topid deleted" under both our aliases. There must be something I'm not getting. Is it some 'instant messaging' system when both people are not online anymore, the topic gets deleted? I'm at a loss!

Personal conversation is the name for messages back and forth on the board here, just between two (or a few) people. I haven't studied it, except to notice that I have "notifications" which are on a list (pull down is near my name at top right to access them, part of Your Options page) and get emailed to me also (though you can turn that feature on or off if you like). You can delete notifications if you are the "clean it up" type. The conversations or messages themselves I access either from a link on the notification, or by pulling down (clicking on) my user name in the upper right of the forum page. This takes me to a list of messages (new ones, or all, or other choices). I find these are only deleted by deliberate effort, I'd be surprised if you did it by accident.

I'll let experts explain it further. Bon chance!

Ken