Pelican Cases And Plumbing Nightmares

There is an excellent shoulder strap for Pelican/Hardigg Storm iM2075 cases. If you take care locating the right attachment point (balanced sideways, slightly high vertically, so the case will not want to swivel on the attachment point) it is a very comfortable way to carry two cases.

Wolf, it comes as a kit, a strap and two fasteners. And it has an O ring to maintain some semblance of water tightness. Here is the kit https://www.nalpak.com/Padded-Shoulder-Strap

Looking around there are lots of examples of this different one, https://www.pelishop.com/iM-strap-s-ver2-peli-storm-case-shoulder-strap-with-fittings.html, of which I have no experience.

It does not come with fitting instructions that I can recall. I have probably fitted about 6 and it is no more difficult than drilling two holes, putting the anchors through the holes and putting a screw into the back of them.

The only wrinkle, which I tried to explain above, is you want the case to sit vertical at your side. To make sure of this it needs to be balanced and you need to find the balance point with the concertina in it. When you have found the balance point you need to move the drilling point up towards your shoulder a little so the case is a little bottom heavy and won't pivot around the attachment points. You can't go too high because you have to make sure the attachment point is far enough from one of the external strengthening ribs that you can get the clips on and off easily.

I hope this answers your questions, I was not sure what you meant by "Where resp. how..."

Thanks a lot, Chris, for your perfectly answering the questions raised.

Unfortunately the nalpak site seams to be down at the moment, by I'm now in the picture of how (through drilling holes) and where (undetermined other then re balance and internal structure) to attach a strap (of which I have many, of course - might just go for fitting fasteners then, albeit I might be flinching from piercing the case anyway).

I'll might have to muse on that a bit...

Best wishes - Wolf

(edited to insert a word missing)

Edited by blue eyed sailor

There is an excellent shoulder strap for Pelican/Hardigg Storm iM2075 cases. If you take care locating the right attachment point (balanced sideways, slightly high vertically, so the case will not want to swivel on the attachment point) it is a very comfortable way to carry two cases.

Thanks for that, Chris.

I wonder how well the case maintains its waterproofing, once you drill the holes.I suppose you could drill the exact size and use plumbers putty or some other caulking material on the bolt, but since its waterproof nature is its primary attraction to me, I'm a little nervous about the idea. But worth considering; a strap would make this case just about perfect!

Jim,

the strap kits I have bought in the past included O rings. The strap attachment point has a flange and the O ring sits between the case and the flange to maintain water tightness. Using exactly the drill size they recommend wouldn't hurt. Extra silicone would be OK as long as it was compatible with the O ring.

Wolf,

The genuine strap is good quality, and one of its good points is the flange I just mentioned, and the screw on the inside has a similar flange; apart from helping with the water seal these flanges also spread the load around the hole which is in the unsupported part of the structure.

There are two versions of these straps out there, the ones I have had in the past had flat clips like the one in the nalpak site (which is working for me) and another with a more conventional clip. I have not seen this type.

If you search for "imstrap-s-ver2" you will find willing suppliers.

Thank you once again Chris - however I probably will refrain from further going down this road as a perfectly fitting solution fell right into my hands (and no drilling required):

mobile.94vjfh.jpg

Best wishes - Wolf

Edited by blue eyed sailor

No worries Wolf.

As an aside, some years ago a Hardigg agent told me the yellow variants were developed for people in the mining business. Yellow is the brightest colour apart from white, and more easy to spot in near darkness than black or olive, which were two of the other colours available at that time. You could also get a rescue orange case, meant for emergency services.

• 1 month later...

Since this is the latest Pelican thread, the following might be added here:

The storm case is good for leaving it with your 'tina inside on any floor without caring. I just was sort of frightened over this particular floor having underfloor heating. However, as long as you place the case with the handle on top (which I did) you have pretty much isolation underneath. I'll post a pic tomorrow.

Best wishes - Wolf

• 4 months later...

another "good" (if you like) Pelican Storm Case news: 7 1/4 inches just fit inside, i.e. the ordinary TT Aeola

padding close to none heightwise then, but the instrument is sitting very firmly in the case

best wishes - Wolf

On 12/28/2017 at 1:17 PM, Wolf Molkentin said:

e4e27599-2bbc-4626-ak1rs5.jpeg

See now, I have a Storm Case (got it from Hardigg not long before Jim Hardigg sold to Pelican so he could retire) and it works well, but I didn't get one of those nifty ceramic bull terrier supports.

3 hours ago, jdms said:

...but I didn't get one of those nifty ceramic bull terrier supports.

Your rudely misnaming a Welsh Corgi Pembroke (as breeded by Her Royal Majesty in person) appears to be very much in the tradition of Boston MA. ?

Edited by Wolf Molkentin
typography

Heh.  Though really, Boston isn't constantly rude.  Also, I got my affection for bull terriers (which no doubt informs my opinion that what's visible of the figure more strongly resembles that breed, regardless of its maker's intent and despite the Corgi-like short legs) from my childhood in Virginia...

47 minutes ago, jdms said:

Heh.  Though really, Boston isn't constantly rude.

Kettle Bridge Clogs thoroughly enjoyed their time there following the Marborough Morris Ale in 2009. Fond memories are still fresh in spite of the number of years.

32 minutes ago, John Wild said:

Kettle Bridge Clogs thoroughly enjoyed their time there following the Marborough Morris Ale in 2009. Fond memories are still fresh in spite of the number of years.

I‘d rather been thinking of 1773... ?

5 hours ago, Wolf Molkentin said:

I‘d rather been thinking of 1773... ?

While we are always looking for younger dancers (and musicians!) to join the side, we have only existed as a side since 1984!!   ?

• Haha 1