Pr Question- Fliers? Business Cards?

My duo partner and I are finding that people actually like to hear our music! We're just starting to get invited to play at events. We're beginning to wonder if we should produce a flier, or something like a large business card (3'X5', for instance) with information about ourselves and our music, contact information and so on.

Have any of you done this? What seems to work? We don't even have a demo cd yet, but we hope to work on it soon. What are your favorite methods of getting the word out?

Well, I once wanted to advertise my original crocheted hats a bit, though I abandoned that effort pretty much, due to sore fingers, but...

my own ponderings lead me to have a T-shirt printed at Cafepress.com. (There are probably other sites for shirts, too...)

I did make up some biz cards, but, while it's maybe awkward to just walk up to a stranger and hand them a business card, you can wear a shirt they'll read!

You can make bumper stickers, too. I did that....can't remember the site I used. A Google search might turn up something.

I will mention, it took me a while at Cafepress.com before I (kind of) understood how to use a photo that would print okay and be the right size on a shirt or a cup.

As for me, I doubt that I'll pursue my T-Shirt 'billboard' options much more, but I did just list a collectible crochet hook on eBay, today.

Anyway, I think that T-Shirts and the like are pretty good ads.

I have found in business that advertising will always pay for itself,what you put in you will get out.If you are getting enquiries then you may not have to advertise the snowball effect will take over if you are talented enough.A demo of say six numbers is worth doing just to send off to Folk events or where you would like to perform and do not forget to follow it up,as people lose your address or contact number.

Remember that when selling anything the worse thing that can happen is the person will tell you to clear off (or worse) if you think that you are talented (and we all know you are) then have a go. Choose carefully if you get busy and do not underprice yourself.

Al B)

My duo partner and I are finding that people actually like to hear our music! We're just starting to get invited to play at events. We're beginning to wonder if we should produce a flier, or something like a large business card (3'X5', for instance) with information about ourselves and our music, contact information and so on.

Have any of you done this? What seems to work? We don't even have a demo cd yet, but we hope to work on it soon. What are your favorite methods of getting the word out?

Allison

First of all: congratulations with your success!! It makes me very curious to hear you play..

In the second place: I just discovered that a flyer and a flier have the same meaning (= translation in Dutch) whilst a fli is a non-existing word and a fly has a lot of meanings ( = translations in Dutch)

Third: do you really need a flier? Do you want to get invited more and more (ending up with concerts every night and groupies and stuff like that :ph34r: )

When the answer is yes, you could make a flier (or a brochure, or folder) in a (European A4) letter format with at least one photo and a short description of your music and a reference to a web site where you can publish more info, including some sound samples.

Big step Alison! Bravo! Now I'm really kicking myself that me and me brood arrived too late to hear your set a NEFFA.

Here are a few thoughts that I have reflecting my differing roles as performer, former artistic director of an opera company and presently a performance series administrator.

Traditional Promotional Package:

8X10 promo photo (lots of folks today do color), well done blurb (not too long but with a couple of reviews)

CD with a couple of cuts

Business card

Modern Promotional Package: As before but with website information and here is an interesting addition that is becoming popular; a postcard with your promotional photo on the front and a catchy blurb on the back (nice to have a review quote) along with snail mail address and website information.

The promo package should be available in a PDF format along with sound files (that's the way some folks want to deal with it).

The postcard can be used in a mass mailing (was done by me darlin's agent recently to a very healthy rise in interest ;) . Folks who are interested will respond and then the manner of follow up will be up to you. Promo packages are expensive so I urge you let the post card do a little of the labor for you.

You and your partner are very dramatic looking. I would urge you to really get the best promotional shot affordable. See other folks stuff, when you come across a photo you like, find out who took it. The visual impression is not to be discounted and I think will greatly work to your advantage. Care should be taken in choosing the photographer. Many of these cats do formula shots and I can't imagine you being happy with those. An artist who is willing to listen to what you have to say regardless experience is always a better choice.

I look forward to seeing and hearing what you come up with. From my fleeting glimpse of your work with Animaterra I know it will be creative and first rate.

Just my 2 cents worth....

Congrats!!!

Here's just a few thoughts on the subject:

re: business cards; I had some rather classy ones done by www.vistaprint.com. They are $9.95/500 mailed to your door if you let them put a small and unobtrusive webaddress on the back. They also offer postcards (which we have used to announce our craft show schedule to our mailing list members) that can be made to match your business cards for a "signature look".

re: demo CD's...if you plan to burn your own cd's there is a label - making program that will print a decal that fits onto the actual CD... they CAN'T lose your name and address unless they lose the disk! I forget the name of the program ( I never use it) but it's loaded on my PC at home. If interested, write and I'll give you all the pertinent info.

Good luck!!

Greg

Have been thinking on this...bad sign, I know. In putting this together, think long and hard on what it is you want to say about your art with the materials (besides "we wanna gig'). Done well, they will speak as if with your voices, concertina and harp.

Quality: go for the best possible. Again, here I go with the photo....(I look at more than I care to admit...it is very important ). Avoid the temptation to go with those adds in the trade mags for "250 8X10 Glossy promo shots for $59.95, best price available" They will look it. Give your photographer a credit line.

Now it's two cents and a half penny. Alan's right...funds expended here will come back to you.

A web site! I feel like thumping my head and muttering "Doh!" I hadn't even thought of that!

Great suggestions, everyone!

Mark, my friend, you've taken my query to a level beyond what I'd been thinking, but have given me good food for thought.

Henk, it's true, we need to be careful what we wish for - we're already the two busiest people I know, just dealing with the rest of our lives!

Alan, your advice is sound as always and I will remember that the next time my printer eats my feeble attempt at business cards (the same printer took the ears off my bunny avatar which I had just added to my own personal business cards- not to mention the top half of my name!).

I definitely want a good set of photos, and know some good local amateur photogs with good equipment who might be open to barter.

But a web site... do I have to learn HTML as well as airs, jigs and reels??? :blink:

But a web site... do I have to learn HTML as well as airs, jigs and reels??? :blink:

Nope :) Some of the free webistes such as Tripod provide templates that allow you to have a page up and running in no time. Alternatively get hold a great webpage writing software package; I use Pagemill and find it very easy to use.

Or perhaps you could friend a friend who is willing to put a simple page together for you in return for a copy of the demo/a baked cake/name your speciality here :)

Best of luck with it all, and don't forget to let us know how it all goes :)

Cheers

Morgana

As well as a website with lots of pics,

links to other RELEVANT sites (preferably reciprocal),

lots of info (more than they can read at once, so they come back),

a gig-list - where can they hear/see you?

business cards with email,website and answerphone on,

quite a large repertoire - if you are doing a 40 minute spot, you may need double the amount of tunes you thought you could play in 40 mins. Have some tunes in reserve

develop your own style - start and finish with your best tunes - people only remember the start and the finish

dont forget some tackle if you play outside - music stand, clothes pegs (stop music blowing away), folding chairs, lamp?, gig bag

Gosh, Allison, I am really excited for you.

And I'm really really sorry about the dog and the bunny's ears.

Now poor bunny can't hear you play.

Helen

Thanks a lot Al for bringing it up again. :angry: She had just gotten over the grief and you, and Jim, for that matter, had to dredge it all up again. :(

Can't wait to hear your progress.

Hooray :) Hooray :) Hooray :)

Allison,

Be sure to tell us what you decide to use for your pr.

I can't wait to see your website, if you decide to do one.

Gracious, I'm excited for you.

This is so much fun.

Cheers,

Helen :) :) :)