Tune Of The Month For September, 2013: Hop And Skip

Jim Besser

This month's poll was really close, with all three contenders garnering strong support. But we have a winner: Jody Kruskal's Hop and Skip, a bouncy little tune that's loads of fun to play (and, according to my Northwest clog dancers, even more fun to dance to).

Jody describes it as "a step-hop hornpipe meant for the jaunty lumpiness of English dances. Play it with a bouncy swing for full flavor." Like this.

And here's Jody's notation for the tune, in D; I've also attached the PDF. In the video, he's playing a G/D Anglo, but it works just as well in G on a C/G. In the video Jody is playing it in D on a C/G (Thanks for the correction, Blue Eyed Sailor). I'm eager to hear how English and duet concertinists interpret this dance tune.

As usual, feel free to give the tune your own imprint; the goal isn't slavish imitation. And the goal certainly isn't perfection. We're all in this forum to benefit from the discipline of practicing and recording and the helpful feedback we get from others.

Have fun!

hop_and_skip.pdf

Edited by Jim Besser

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So if I wanted to play the tune in G I would bring down each note by four tones? And start the tune on the G note?

Thanks.

Try popping this into the Tune-O-Tron. ;)

X:63
T:Hop and Skip
C:Jody Kruskal
C:Copyright 2008 ©, Jody Kruskal. All rights reserved.
M:4/4
L:1/8
Q:1/4=140
K:Gmaj
GABc|:"G"d2 dB "C"c3 A|"Em"BAGB "D"A3 F|\
"C"GAGE "G"DEGB|"Am"AGAB "D"A4|
"G"d2 dB "C"c3 A|"Em"BAGB "D"A3 F|\
"C"GAGE "G"DEGB|"D"AGFA "G"G4:|
|:"Em"BA G2 E2 G2|"G" BA G2 "D"D4|\
"Em"BAGB "C"cdcB|"Am"AGFE "D"DFAc|
"Em"BA G2 E2 G2|"G" BA G2 "D"D4|\
"Em"BAGB "C"cdcB|"D"AG F2 "G"G4:|
W:
W:A step-hop hornpipe meant for the jaunty lumpiness of
W:English dances. Play it with a bouncy swing for full flavour

Since Jody played it in D, I decided to record it in G on a C/G Lachenal/Dipper Anglo.

I play this tune often for a group of Northwest clog Morris ladies, and I didn't realize how much I cue off the dancers when I play it; doing the tune without dancers in front of me felt very different and somewhat awkward.

Recorded on a Zoom h2N.

https://soundcloud.com/concertinist/hop-and-skip-concertina-net

So if I wanted to play the tune in G I would bring down each note by four tones? And start the tune on the G note?

Thanks.

Try popping this into the Tune-O-Tron. ;)

X:63
T:Hop and Skip
C:Jody Kruskal
C:Copyright 2008 ©, Jody Kruskal. All rights reserved.
M:4/4
L:1/8
Q:1/4=140
K:Gmaj
GABc|:"G"d2 dB "C"c3 A|"Em"BAGB "D"A3 F|\
"C"GAGE "G"DEGB|"Am"AGAB "D"A4|
"G"d2 dB "C"c3 A|"Em"BAGB "D"A3 F|\
"C"GAGE "G"DEGB|"D"AGFA "G"G4:|
|:"Em"BA G2 E2 G2|"G" BA G2 "D"D4|\
"Em"BAGB "C"cdcB|"Am"AGFE "D"DFAc|
"Em"BA G2 E2 G2|"G" BA G2 "D"D4|\
"Em"BAGB "C"cdcB|"D"AG F2 "G"G4:|
W:
W:A step-hop hornpipe meant for the jaunty lumpiness of
W:English dances. Play it with a bouncy swing for full flavour

Thanks -- I like having the ABC as well because I save/print the small .jpg that the Convert-O-Matic makes. I like to print teeny tiny copies and I keep them on a card all on a binder ring. I seldom need to really read the music but sometimes I totally forget a tune, so I need the reference.

Dear TOTM folks, I'm pleased and honored that you chose my tune Hop and Skip. Just to clear up any confusion about keys...

In my video example I'm playing it in D on a C/G Anglo. That instrument also can play it nicely in high G (as in Jim's excellent example) or a 5th lower in C. All three of those keys work well on a C/G.

Have fun with it!

Very few entries this month, and such a fun tune. Maybe folks are inhibited because the composer is among us.

So here am I to break the silence, even though my left hand (now a month post-op) is not quite back to fighting form. And just for grins, I tried a few things the composer might not like.

As always, 46-key Wheatstone Hayden Duet. And I'm playing it in D. I tried it down a 5th in G, but I like it higher pitched.

Very few entries this month, and such a fun tune. Maybe folks are inhibited because the composer is among us.
So here am I to break the silence, even though my left hand (now a month post-op) is not quite back to fighting form. And just for grins, I tried a few things the composer might not like.

Nice! It's sort of smoothly bouncy; I like it.