Please Name This Tune.

PeterT

I learnt this tune from a melodeon player, named Gordon, at the Chippenham Folk Festival about 15 years ago. The title is long, and very French (or should that be French, and very long), so it didn't "stick" when Gordon told me what it was called. So, in true traditional fashion, I have called it "Gordon's Tune" ever since.

It would be nice to know the correct title, however.

Gordon's Tune:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=zyXuWnp0Q2w

Thanks in advance!

Peter.

Nice tune Peter........I don't suppose you have the dots, do you? I find it 'fast tracks' my learning of a tune' if I can look at them and listen.

Also I do like your left hand accompaniment especially in the second part; very duet like.

Robin

Hi Robin,

Was that a trick question? ;)

Another (occasional) C.net member said, years ago, that I played MacCann Duet like an Anglo (he is a duet player, by the way). Maybe I also play Anglo like a duet. After all these years, I find that the left hand more or less looks after itself without me thinking about it.

When someone succesfully names the tune, I guess that this will lead us to the dots........which will probably show that I play the tune nothing like the way it was written, but that is the "folk process" for you.

Regards,

Peter.

Nice tune Peter........I don't suppose you have the dots, do you? I find it 'fast tracks' my learning of a tune' if I can look at them and listen.
I have no idea what it is either, but I've done up the dots from listening to Peter's video.

Peter plays it in Bb but I've also transposed it to G where it fits better on most instruments.

post-65-1194842918_thumb.jpg

I should have added this, for anybody it will help, the abc I used as an intermediate step in creating the dots, above:

X:1
T:Gordon's Tune
M:C|
K:Bb
P:A
|:fe|d3c defd|efge c2de|f2B2B2cd|edcBA2F2|
d3c defd|efge c2de|f2B2dcBA|B6:|z2||
P:B
|:g3f gab2|a2g2f2d2|e2g2f2d2|c2=e2f4|
g3f gab2|a2g2f2d2|e2g2f2d2-|dcBA B4:|

X:2
K:G %Transposed from Bb
|:dc|B3A BcdB|cdec A2Bc|d2G2G2AB|cBAGF2D2|
B3A BcdB|cdec A2Bc|d2G2BAGF|G6:|z2||
|:e3d efg2|f2e2d2B2|c2e2d2B2|A2^c2d4|
e3d efg2|f2e2d2B2|c2e2d2B2-|BAGF G4:|
Edited by David Barnert

I should have added this, for anybody it will help, the abc I used as an intermediate step in creating the dots, above:
X:1
K:Bb
|:fe|d3c defd|efge c2de|f2B2B2cd|edcBA2F2|
d3c defd|efge c2de|f2B2dcBA|B6:|z2||
|:g3f gab2|a2g2f2d2|e2g2f2d2|c2=e2f4|
g3f gab2|a2g2f2d2|e2g2f2d2-|dcBA B4:|

X:2
K:G %Transposed from Bb
|:dc|B3A BcdB|cdec A2Bc|d2G2G2AB|cBAGF2D2|
B3A BcdB|cdec A2Bc|d2G2BAGF|G6:|z2||
|:e3d efg2|f2e2d2B2|c2e2d2B2|A2^c2d4|
e3d efg2|f2e2d2B2|c2e2d2B2-|BAGF G4:|

So, I'm curious, David. Do you have the technology to slow down the tune, in order to make the transcription easier, or just a very good ear for the music?

Either way, I'm impressed that you managed to produce the music so quickly.

Regards,

Peter.

So, I'm curious, David. Do you have the technology to slow down the tune, in order to make the transcription easier, or just a very good ear for the music?

Either way, I'm impressed that you managed to produce the music so quickly.

Thank you, Peter.

I have "Amazing Slow Downer" but I didn't use it for this. I played your youtube video, always at full speed, but hitting the pause button every four bars, repeating as necessary. I do have a good ear. Even without the pausing I doubt it would have taken me more than 2 or 3 times through the whole tune to get it down. Come to the NE Squeeze-In some year and take my "Playing by Ear" workshop.

Come to the NE Squeeze-In some year and take my "Playing by Ear" workshop.

Thanks for the invitation, David, but I don't think that a One Day Travelcard will get me that far. Seriously, London is a big adventure for me nowadays; 10 miles away, but I've not been there for 6 months (although I've passed through a few times).

This is the beauty of YouTube; I can broadcast recordings and don't even have to leave the house!

Regards,

Peter.

This is a fairly regular tune played at The George it may be in Mel Stevens Massif Book No2 I will have a word with Mel next time I see hiom and get the tune name.

Al

Thanks, Alan.

I hope, at some stage, to make it back to the George.

Regards,

Peter.

The non smoking ban will definitely be favourable for you Peter.

If you want picking up and dropping back one evening for The George let me know.

Al

Hi Alan,

Thanks for the offer.

I've not been in the best of health for the past 6 months, and the aweful "summer" weather did not help (the summer is my good period, generally!). For the past two weeks I've had a hearing problem which is (fortunately) now much better, but I'm certainly not 100%. I had to play for the Morris the other Saturday, and practice the previous Thursday; to say the least it was an "interesting" experience, but I don't think dancers or audience noticed any problem. Concertina sounded weird, though!

Regards,

Peter.

If you want picking up and dropping back one evening for The George let me know.

Al, if you can pick me up here in upstate New York, I'd be happy to come along, too.

While browsing for a tune I came across Gordon's Tune, not the same one of course - this one's Irish.

Wonder if it's the same Gordon?

It will be a pleasure David.

Al