C.net Players

m3838

I counted submissions from only 36 people.

May be, to invite more people, there might be a sub-division, something like:

beginners

intermediate

semi-pro

pro

Or something like:

1 year player

3 etc.

So, many others may feel like submitting.

Also it would be useful for, say, intermediate players offer critique to beginners, semi-pros to intermediate etc. Something like free online tutoring.

We might get more participants, more ideas, mutual exchange etc. Not a burst, but a slow steady flow.

I was thinking of offering my website for this, but found a job little sooner than anticipated, and my website is still to be touched up and published.

No?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

May be, to invite more people, there might be a sub-division, something like:

beginners

intermediate

semi-pro

pro

Or something like:

1 year player

3 etc.

Also it would be useful for, say, intermediate players offer critique to beginners, semi-pros to intermediate etc. Something like free online tutoring.

We might get more participants, more ideas, mutual exchange etc. Not a burst, but a slow steady flow.

I was thinking of offering my website for this, but found a job little sooner than anticipated, and my website is still to be touched up and published.

No?

Michael

Similar thoughts and suggestions were posted on this forum before. As a result this thread started and the Recorded Tunes Link Page was set up.

This page is now about two years old and steadily growing. Everyone may submit his tune(s) from beginner to (almost) professional. Every possible help is offered in the field of recording and hosting. However one cannot force people to submit.

I don't know how many others are like me, but it is technical issues on recording and, more importantly, a slow (dial-up) connection that prevents me from contributing, rather than concertina-related issues.

Samantha

I don't know how many others are like me, but it is technical issues on recording and, more importantly, a slow (dial-up) connection that prevents me from contributing, rather than concertina-related issues.

Samantha

Darn! That's too bad. I'd love to hear your music all the way from from Scotland! I've spent the past three winter vacations in Scotland (everywhere from the archaeological sites in the Orkneys, around Cape Wrath, to a Marxist anti-Christmas at Ullipool, past herds of reindeer in the central Highlands, to the Edinburgh Hogmanay Viking torch procession, to (always) Portree, Skye, as well as (last Christmas) the Butt of Lewis, and an amazing Christmas with the folks at Lochboisdale (Christmas Eve mass in Gaelic), in the southern Hebrides. I hope you find a way to record your concertina and put it online!! I wish there were a concertina gathering in Scotland some time (with a concert featuring Simon Thoumire!).

Happy Solstice!

Edited by greenferry

Why do you have Dial-up?

I had the impression that having Dial-up nowadays isn't much cheaper than DSL, and they already talk about next to cable, which will make DSL unworkable.

Is it only us "americans", that progressed so much into the 21st century?

Why do you have Dial-up?

I had the impression that having Dial-up nowadays isn't much cheaper than DSL, and they already talk about next to cable, which will make DSL unworkable.

Yes, Cream-T is right. Until very recently dial-up was the only internet access available at my home. Where I work it is still the only internet access available. Yes, it is only you "americans" who have progressed so much into the 21st century.

Samantha

Edited by Samantha

Only 36?!!

Compared to other statistics, I think that's a pretty impressive number!

.. At the moment we appear to have 1274 registered members.

.. 433 (34%) of those have never posted.

.. 208 (16%) have posted only once.

.. 949 (74%, including the above) have posted 5 times or fewer.

.. In the last two years, the most responses in any C.net Poll has been 84, or only 2.3 times as many as your count of 36 contributors to the Tune Links page, in spite of how much less effort it takes to respond to a poll.

May be, to invite more people,...

Everyone is already and always "invited". But maybe you meant "motivate"?

...there might be a sub-division, something like:

beginners

intermediate

semi-pro

pro

Or something like:

1 year player

3 etc.

There can be many reasons for not contributing. Your own attitude, just expressed, could well be one. Some folks don't want to be spontaneously "critiqued" or "tutored". If they want that at all, they want to be able to choose when, where, and by whom, not expose themselves and their efforts to anyone and everyone on C.net (and potentially the entire internet) who may feel like commenting.

But my own view (one I think is broadly shared, though I'm not sure) of the Tune Links page is that it is a place where we share recordings that we think/hope others will appreciate, not an examination room nor a classroom, nor even a place to solicit comments. And while I'm sure there are some who would be interested in your ideas, I don't think the Tune Links page is an appropriate format for it. I think it requires something more interactive.

Aside from technical difficulties and reasons such as what I've just mentioned, another major "impediment" for many folks may be that they just "haven't gotten around to it". It's not that they don't feel like it, but for any of a number of reasons, other things may have taken precedence. And some may just not feel it's as important as you do.

Both John Nixon and Chris Timson (with Anne Gregson) have CD's for sale with excellent playing on vintage concertinas, yet each is represented in the Tune Links only by brief excerpts on midi instruments. Brian Peters isn't represented there at all, but he has a wonderful CD for sale.

Though I'm represented by 24 contributions, they're all "old", my first crude attempts at recording with my computer. I've done more recordings since, some of which I've even made available to a few individuals. But I haven't (yet?) decided to make them "public". I have plans for making more and better recordings, but I won't post them to the Tune Links page until I have produced and selected a sample that presents what I want.

Maybe others would like to give their own "excuses"? :)

I think we already have that. (It might be interesting to see statistics on how many new submissions -- and submittors -- there have been each month since Henk started the Tune Links page. Henk, do you have that information?)

Finally, I would mention that there have occasionally been links posted in various threads to sound files which have not found their way (perhaps with good reason) to the Tune Links page. One example is Morgana's recordings from the ACE. Another is the recordings by Wim Wakker at the Concertina Connection. And yet another is Pauline de Snoo's periodic announcements of what's on her own web site. Those would add a few more contributors to the list of names you took from the Tune Links page. (At the moment, I count 40 there -- excluding the Chemnitzer web site, -- of which 34 are identified by a C.net ID.)

There's always room for more -- more people, more variety, even more pages with differing purposes and formats, -- but I think what we're aleady doing deserves nothing but praise... though some additional encouragement shouldn't hurt. :)

Why do you have Dial-up?

Yes, it is only you "americans" who have progressed so much into the 21st century.

Not just Americans... and also not all Americans.

A Finnish friend has had an optic-cable internet connection to his apartment for many years, I think almost a decade. My own "broadband" here in Denmark isn't proper ADSL, but is overlaid on an ISDN connection, because the local telephone/cable TV monopoly (there's more than one company, but they divide up the territory) won't replace the 600 meters of coaxial cable between my building and their switching office with optic cable. The folks across the street at the end of my block have the real stuff from the same company.

But once you get out of metropolitan areas even in the US, I think you'll find that not everyone has broadband... or even cell phone coverage. My brother (in the US) built a house in a forest, a few miles from the nearest farmhouse and paved road. The power and phone companies refused to install the additional miles of cable to provide him service, unless he paid the full cost of installation. Instead, he purchased a small hydroelectric generator which he installed on the stream running through his property, and did without phone service. He has since moved, but even now I don't think there's cell phone coverage that penetrates the forest to his old house.

America is not homogeneous.

Maybe others would like to give their own "excuses"? :)

Henk was very kind to add my two ancient recordings to his site so I could share them (Thank you Sir Henk). Roly-Poly has been busy and at some point will submit another perhaps on my own site now that I have been helped into the computer age.

I have found the links page a source of inspiration and would be very unhappy about any system of critique in some sort of pecking order as to experience. True, I have offered positive critiques from time to time only because my heart was bursting with exceitment over an offering by one of our members. Perhaps from now on I will offer my praise individually rather than stupidly opening the door for negitave remarks from visitors or members to the links page.

Sounds foolish, but this for me is a holy thing we share with one another.

Added about broadband: I went with it only because my kids are always on line and we were getting complaints from friends and business colleagues that our phone was constantly busy. Don't like the extra $ involved, but there are now more smiles around my little cabin.

Edited by Mark Evans

...about broadband: I went with it only because my kids are always on line and we were getting complaints from friends and business colleagues that our phone was constantly busy. Don't like the extra $ involved, but there are now more smiles around my little cabin.

'S funny (strange, not necessarily amusing). Services provided and pricing structures vary considerably and seemingly arbitrarily. One reason I went to broadband was that here it's much cheaper. I now pay a fixed quarterly price for what is -- at my level of usage -- essentially unlimited broadband usage plus a limited amount of local ordinary voice-phone service. I think I'm paying less than half what I was paying for my ISDN service, and that was cheaper than the "dialup" service I had before it.

The broadband uses the same old two ISDN lines... or only one if I'm talking on the phone at the same time, which slows it down a bit, but then I'm splitting my attention, too. If I had a proper fiber-optic broadband connection, all the services would use the same cable and the broadband would be noticeably faster, but the price wouldn't change.

I've tried to get my husband to switch TO Dial-up, and to drop our DSL. Most of our phone calls are 'stupid' ones, and if I need a phone, anyway, there are at least 3 other phone numbers going on around here!!! (Cell phone, etc..)

He doesn't want to switch, though, so I guess we'll stick with our Verizon DSL. We did have Comcast Broadband, before this, and that was good service, too, but cost more for us, since it was part of a cable TV package. We dropped cable TV -- only get the bare basic networks, now. And, Verizon is our phone service, so, their DSL was the better deal.

Lately, what I appreciate most when it comes to hearing from the outside world is my new little $50.-ish dollar emergency/weather radio that can be hand-cranked for power, even!! I use rechargeable batteries in it, too, and they seem to last forever. (Can't call me, on it, though.... :huh: )

New discovery, too....the XD picture cards that I need to use in my Olympus camera can even store MP3s! I just got a (pretty cheap) little reader/writer gadget made by Olympus that allows me to put my edited photos, MP3s, and whatever back onto the photo card (about 1/2" square, roughly). That is SOOOOO appealing, to me! I can put a TON of stuff on those cards, and my camera doesn't have to be scanned for viruses, is portable....the XD cards can be played in my TV, or some other portable gadget.

Got a bit off-topic...sorry....

Um, I actually had something more to say, but, I've forgotten it, now. Time to go make the coffee.

Apreciate the views expressed.

I am not at all computer literate and had an impression that Dial-up is long gone and that DSL is dying. All my friends in Russia and in small towns in Israel have Cell phones (too many) and fast Internet services, even in the freaking Belarus, not the HobNob of technology.

I realize that America is uneven, esp. considering it's rural character and desire of most people to live in small houses far away from each other.

But I held European Nordic countries in high esteem in sense of urbanism and technology. Now I stand corrected, as you guys say.

Back to the topic:

I always felt amused when professional recording artists wouldn't offer a glimpse of their music to promote their CDs. I think it's counter-productive. I think Internet is great opportunity to share your work with the World at large for free. It's mutually free. (OK, inexpencive). Oterwise you'll pay for advertisement.

However I was probably wrong about the motives of people joining forums like this.

Most want to "get" information, and less want to "share". But how do you get, if you don't share, escapes me.

That's why I idealistically proposed more sound examples, when talking about music, including from recording pros. Many times it was an eye opener to listen to some mp3 of the members. I too, offered personal praises to the players.

I guess I still have this "vertical" mindset, having come from an Imperial Country with very rigid authoritarian structure. Here we have more of "horizontal" connections, for all it's worth.

Thanks for reminding me.

P.S.

I think if you have a camcorder, you can make pretty good recording, then import it to Audacity and convert to mp3 or any other format. No?

Those camcorder mikes are very good.

I think it seems like more Americans than Europeans use dial-up, most of the Americans I chat with use it, even for music downloads and stuff like that, because it is cheaper in America than in Europe. I use DSL and while I waited to get that fixed after my move, I used dial-up and just couldn't believe how much it costs!!!!! Even when I tried to limit my internet use I paid a fortune.

Anyway, it would be nice to hear more recordings from beginners!! Then maybe I would get courage to post one too! I've almost learned Ballydesmond polka well enough to record it now.