Making A Double Concertina Case

I finally finished making my own double concertina case. I had been admiring Mark Davies' lovely case and he suggested off-hand that I should make one. I needed one but I was put off by the price and thought I could make one easily enough. There are basically two kinds of double case. One kind is suitable for carrying around to the pub with you (€100-150) and the other is a more protective "flight case," well-padded and very heavy, that can run well over €200. I made the first.

In case anybody is interested, I used 3/8" fairly rough plywood that I had lying around. I made a box, cut it to make a 2" lid, painted it with paint I had already bought, lined the inside and the lid with green felt-like material that I bought at a fabric shop for €7, and put on the hardware that I bought from www.fixdiy.com for about €15.

Altogether it cost me about €25. I have enough material left to line another case.

It isn't very elegant but it serves the purpose-- and I saved €75-100 over buying one already made. It took hours to make, however, and I'm not factoring that into the cost of the case.

I may still cover the box with black vinyl from the fabric store. The gloss black paint is very garish. On the other hand, it looks like a case for pipes - and who would steal a set of pipes?

Edited to remove pictures. If anybody is interested I'll send photos. They take up room here.

Edited by cocusflute

I finally finished making my own double concertina case.

Lovely! ...

Unfortunately, my interest is purely academic, as I have only one concertina :(

Maybe he who has two concertinas should give one of them to him who only has one, so that he will have two too :rolleyes:

Cheers,

John

Very nice.

I employed a bongo drum gigbag for my double. It doesn't offer the protection of your rigid box, but for 50 bucks it's very convenient--heavily padded, waterproof cordura with pockets and a shoulder strap. Perfect size, and lightweight. http://www.guitarcenter.com/Meinl-Professi...634-i1174222.gc

Edited by catty

Very nice.

I employed a bongo drum gigbag for my double. It doesn't offer the protection of your rigid box, but for 50 bucks it's very convenient--heavily padded, waterproof cordura with pockets and a shoulder strap. Perfect size, and lightweight. http://www.guitarcenter.com/Meinl-Professi...634-i1174222.gc

That's certainly thinking outside the box Catty, and seems like an elegant solution. I'd thought about building a case, but this looks good and would keep one item off an already lengthy "things to do" list.

Kevin

I finally finished making my own double concertina case. I had been admiring Mark Davies' lovely case and he suggested off-hand that I should make one. I needed one but I was put off by the price and thought I could make one easily enough. There are basically two kinds of double case. One kind is suitable for carrying around to the pub with you (€100-150) and the other is a more protective “flight case,” well-padded and very heavy, that can run well over €200. I made the first.

In case anybody is interested, I used 3/8” fairly rough plywood that I had lying around. I made a box, cut it to make a 2” lid, painted it with paint I had already bought, lined the inside and the lid with green felt-like material that I bought at a fabric shop for €7, and put on the hardware that I bought from www.fixdiy.com for about €15.

Altogether it cost me about €25. I have enough material left to line another case.

It isn’t very elegant but it serves the purpose-- and I saved €75-100 over buying one already made. It took hours to make, however, and I’m not factoring that into the cost of the case.

I may still cover the box with black vinyl from the fabric store. The gloss black paint is very garish.

Very nice case! It is fit for purpose and economical.

As it turns out, I also built a multi-concertina case last month, and thought you'd like to see it too. Cocosflute mentioned two levels of cases, and that his target was the more economical version....and the results show he more than met his goal with a useful product. My needs were a bit different, but probably were closest to his upper end described level.

My case had to address several issues:

1) It had to provide much better protection than my existing cases that came with the instruments. I live an hour or more from the nearest session or dance, along roads that are often bumpy in my truck. I play out quite often, and am always taking the instruments in and out of the house and into the truck, etc. I was looking for rugged and padded...original cases are often just thin wood with a layer of velvet, and no padding. More importantly, it is hot and humid here for four months of the year. The instrument goes from a cool dry house to a hot humid walk to the carport, then a hot truck until it cools off via ac, then reverse of that when I get to my destination. I'm looking for thermal insulation in addition to padding.

2) It had to carry three instruments. Yes, I play them all....a CG and GD anglo, and an English system. Often, at English country dances, a few new tunes are spontaneously brought by dancers that we hadn't learned before. I can sight read on English up to tempo for the dancers (within the group I am in), but not nearly that fast on the anglo. Once I learn them in my head, in following days, they usually get transferred to one or the other anglo, unless they are more suited to remain on the EC. I asked a couple of case builders if they would consider a triple case...no takers. So I fired up the table saw and got to work.

I used 1/4 inch birch ply (like cocos, leftovers) and poplar struts. As you can see from the photo, all joints were both glued and screwed...this case is both reasonably light and very strong. It also, I think, will go as an airline carry on, but with present weight restrictions and fees I am not likely to test that.

The interior is lined with bare closed-cell polyurethan foam, bought from McMaster and Carr. It is firm enough to hold the instruments nicely in place with no rattling, and yet forgiving when bumped. Closed cell means no absorption of humidity, and it is very lightweight. The instruments are protected in all directions by an inch or so of this thermal insulation/padding...very protective. It is gentle to the touch, not abrasive...no rubbing issues to date. I was going to further line it with the traditional velour...and then realized that professional photographers put their equally expensive cameras in cases lined just with this same species of foam...so why mess with that extra step?

In a nod to fanciness, I put a cover of surplus leather on the inside of the top and bottom....not necessary, but dressy. I think the foam by itself would be fine.

The outside is lined with a plastic material used for speaker covers; it is very tough. I got mine from Stewart McDonald (thanks, Greg J., for the tip). The hardware came from Rockler, and is similar to that used by cocosflute.

The weight is less than the three original cases together, and yet this case is far and away more protective. I put the main handle on the opening side rather than the top; this leaves a nice flat surface when the box is closed to set instruments or beer on. A second handle went on one end...very handy when getting into buses, into cabs, etc. Some rubber bumpers on the bottom allow me to put this on furniture without fear of scratching (thanks, Harold H.!).

I think cocosflute's solution is plenty acceptable (for Ireland, though not particularly for Texas) and very cost effective. I would not build one as I did if just to save money....all the parts (including the foam, glues, external covering and hardware) added up to a surprising figure, because when you buy for a small project you are often forced to buy more material than you need, or in expensive small amounts. And then there is the labor, though it was a satisfying small project to do. A single case that Greg Jowaises made for me is easily the equal of mine (although I would add more insulation for my climate), and really a bargain...but again that was not an option, as triples were not in the offing by any builder I asked. I am pretty happy with the result, and glad my concertinas are better protected when on the move. And no more juggling cases!

Cheers,

Dan

post-976-1212643145_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dan Worrall

Just "in case" there are folks who don't have the time or expetise to make themselve a double case (Nice work David and Dan!) here is a picture of the one I produce. Sean Fallon also makes an excellent double case in an ATA style.

Greg

PS. The concertinas need to be purchased separately!

Edited by Greg Jowaisas

Dan and Greg,

I like your cases. I also have the problem of "lugging" or carrying several concertinas around. What would you guys charge if, hypothetically speaking, a member of C.net places an order for one of the following two: a) a double case; and B) a triple case - with two handles as described by Dan. This would include velvet material etc.???

There may be a few guys here in North America with the same request/desire.

Any info would be appreciated.

Edited by Ben Otto

I own one of Greg's cases ( double ) and absolutely love it. I fly with my instruments on a regular basis, and my double fits in all but the smallest of planes overhead compartments. On a few occasions I have had to place it under the seat in front of me, but my point is that it fits.

I do admire all you woodworkers; I went to the local hardware shop, bought a suitably sized metal toolbox (£14), covered it with red rexine so that it looked slightly less like a toolbox and then blocked it out with wood and carrymat and lined it with part of the dog's velour blanket (which I always thought was far too good for a dog and he hasn't missed the half a yard or so I cut off the bottom!). The box is light, sturdy, dry and with a good carry handle - and doubles as an impromptu seat should the pub run out of chairs at a session.

post-2289-1212830423_thumb.jpg

post-2289-1212830439_thumb.jpg

Dan and Greg,

I like your cases. I also have the problem of "lugging" or carrying several concertinas around. What would you guys charge if, hypothetically speaking, a member of C.net places an order for one of the following two: a) a double case; and B) a triple case - with two handles as described by Dan. This would include velvet material etc.???

There may be a few guys here in North America with the same request/desire.

Any info would be appreciated.

No problem, Ben. Your payment options include your choice of one of the following:

1) A small chateau in the Swiss Alps

2) A restored Herreschoff sailing yacht

3) A small island in Puget Sound :rolleyes:

Seriously, I only do woodwork for here on the farm. And because everything I do is a tedious one off, it would never be cost effective for anyone else to employ me!

Call Greg...his are excellent (I have one of his singles). Or David S' toolbox is nice, cheap, easy, padded and light. Also, I just saw Alex W, who has a converted leather yachtsman's toolbox...black stiff saddle leather...that he got from a chandlery. A very light but solid double.

Cheers,

Dan

everyone's cases look great! i'm just starting to get into the idea of cutting wood--i dont even know how to work a saw!

i can vouch for both gregg's and seans cases--both are fantastic!

i myself made my own flute case for my antique flute by gutting a silver flute case. it was a lot more fun than buying one.

I have placed an order with Greg for a case. Thank you guys for all the photos of your cases. I love reading the stories of ingenuity.

Playing the concertina develops the brain! :)

Here's a couple of pictures of the case which Dan saw. It's made by Melano - a case company based in the Netherlands. From what I can tell of their website, the box I have is from the Serie Select range and is article number 4700-45. it's 450mm long, 200mm deep and 200mm tall. I fitted foam inside as a temporary measure to see if it worked (and may cover with cloth eventually) and it suits 2 anglos perfectly with space for some bits and pieces.

I got mine from a yacht chandler in Stavanger and saw that today's price is NOK699 which equates to about £70 - although one can also get a tax discount. I've no idea what they'd cost from a "regular" supplier - or even where they might be in the UK.

I wouldn't say it's watertight or thermally insulated but it's certainly robust enough for hand luggage on airplanes - mine's been across the Atlantic a couple of times.

Mine came with internal strap loops for tools and hardboard reinforcing which makes it slightly heavier and more robust. Their models 4520-45 or 5520-45 (I'm not sure what the difference is between Genuine leather and Full grain leather) seem to be leather sided only and might be just as good. I think the 600 long model might be a bit tight for 3 concertinas.

Alex