Concertina Physics

JDG

An idle thought about concertina physics: Since the concertina is, more or less, a nearly airtight box, how susceptible is it to significant changes in pressure and humidity? For example, in colder seasons, would moving from the cold, dry outdoors into a warm, humid room create condensation on the reeds, rusting them prematurely?

What about storing a concertina for a long period of time? Would seasonal changes in the atmosphere weaken the valves over a long period of time?

Maybe a catch on the air valve button could keep it set in the open position to resolve the issue. Or maybe this is a non-problem. . . Thoughts?

Thanks!

An idle thought about concertina physics: Since the concertina is, more or less, a nearly airtight box, how susceptible is it to significant changes in pressure and humidity? For example, in colder seasons, would moving from the cold, dry outdoors into a warm, humid room create condensation on the reeds, rusting them prematurely?

What about storing a concertina for a long period of time? Would seasonal changes in the atmosphere weaken the valves over a long period of time?

Maybe a catch on the air valve button could keep it set in the open position to resolve the issue. Or maybe this is a non-problem. . . Thoughts?

hanks!

It makes sense to protect the instrument at all times from variations of temperature and humidity. Expansion, contraction and condensation are obvious enemies to be avoided at all costs and are probably the cause of many avoidable problems.

hanks!

It makes sense to protect the instrument at all times from variations of temperature and humidity. Expansion, contraction and condensation are obvious enemies to be avoided at all costs and are probably the cause of many avoidable problems.

Undoubtedly true; they're worth too much not to treat with care. However when I think that lots of them started their lives in damp dank unheated houses in England, with temp and humidity all over the place, got dragged about hither and thither in all weathers and STILL they survive, I tell myself that they are fairly tough and I don't need to be too paranoid!

I was a bit worried about living close to the sea but in the end I decided that life must go on. No ill effects to report yet.

Changes in air pressure should not affect a concertina. They're not all that airtight. Any changes in pressure, even if the concertina were completely 100% airtight, would be significantly less than the changes in pressure when playing, especially with an anglo.

Condensation, due to changes in temperature and humidity is another question. I recommend opening the case and letting the concertina warm to room temperature before playing when coming inside from very cold temperatures, especially if the concertina has been siiting for a while in the car. Even then, I'm not sure how much of a problem it is as the air in most forced-air heated houses has reduced humidity, so the risk of condensation may not be that great.

Condensation, due to changes in temperature and humidity is another question. I recommend opening the case and letting the concertina warm to room temperature before playing when coming inside from very cold temperatures, especially if the concertina has been siiting for a while in the car.

For those of us who wear glasses, it's quite easy - if your glasses mist up when you enter a room from the cold, you can imagine what would happen to your reeds if you pumped the indoor air through them! :o

By the way, I've heard that youngsters in accordion clubs here in Germany are forbidden to play outdoors at evening barbecues and camp-fires, because this really cools down the reeds, and condensation sets in when they go back indoors, even without playing!

Cheers,

John

Condensation, due to changes in temperature and humidity is another question. I recommend opening the case and letting the concertina warm to room temperature before playing when coming inside from very cold temperatures, especially if the concertina has been siiting for a while in the car.

For those of us who wear glasses, it's quite easy - if your glasses mist up when you enter a room from the cold, you can imagine what would happen to your reeds if you pumped the indoor air through them! :o

By the way, I've heard that youngsters in accordion clubs here in Germany are forbidden to play outdoors at evening barbecues and camp-fires, because this really cools down the reeds, and condensation sets in when they go back indoors, even without playing!

Cheers,

John

that really makes a lot of sense, actually.

If you normally play in a warm humid environment, such as a kitchen perhaps, and then store your concertina in a cold dry one, perhaps a bedroom, as the air inside the concertina cools the water will be forced out and it will condense inside your case. Over a long period of time this will rust the reeds. If you want protection, play around smokers. The layer of tar on the reeds will keep the moisture away!

Chris