Handel? Bach?

larryjhs

hello there,

I've been playing for about 4 weeks now and I am getting into my 30 key Anglo. I've found a piece of Handel (the Harmonious Blacksmith in Minasi's Instruction Book for the Use of Learners of the German Concertina) that is linked of this site and on archive.org, but I'm looking for other scores ( especially 'simple') pieces. Can anyone help out for Bach, Handel, Hayden, Telleman or other Baroque, even if is for other instruments but usable given the key restrictions (I am relearning music after some decades).

Thanks

Larry

There is a serries of books called "The Joy of........." (by Yorktown Music Press): mostly easy scores for beginners , though many are for piano they can be adapted and you can always transpose melodies to suit the keys and range of you concertina. Their books cover many genres from Bach to Beatles. I picked up a couple of these at flea markets ( car boot fairs.... garage sales.... whatever they are called where you live)....

Have fun.

You could also try Classics for folk, which is volume 5 in the Pipers' companion series.

Publishers: Rossleigh music, Rossleigh House, Windsor Terrace, Newbiggin by the sea, Northumberland, NE64 6UJ

info@rossleighmusic.co.uk.

I treat classical and baroque music the same as folk music: I listen to it until it's in my head, then I arrange it, hands-on, for my instrument. This is usually the classic 5-string banjo, but I've done Romantic pieces this way on the Crane duet.

Baroque and Anglo? I wouldn't choose the Anglo for polyphonic music. But if you do, Handel should be more amenable than Bach.

Cheers,

John

Baroque and Anglo? I wouldn't choose the Anglo for polyphonic music. But if you do, Handel should be more amenable than Bach.

Cheers,

John

John, The biggest stumbling block to playing polyphonic music on an anglo is the lack of a low d, closely followed by the other 'holes' in its lowest octave. On an anglo with more than 30 buttons, you can normally arrange to have one of the extra LH buttons to be tuned to a low d, which gives you the possibility of playing an endless supply of music written before c.1650 and a lot more chance of adapting later pieces to fit the notes you do have. I don't think there's any intrinsic barrier in the instrument itself, and perhaps for many people, it might be a more logical format than the EC for playing 2-4 voice repertoire.

Adrian