swelling on pinkie knuckle

michael sam wild

Just got a letter from a referral centre to whom my GP referred me, The centre will now refer me on to the Hospital who will contact me. I won't print the term by which I referred to the letter!

I feel like going private but I've payed my National Insurance since I started work so it's a matter of principle. Our government seems to have lots of money for wars, Olympics and bankers however. We are paying out 56% of our GDP on debt as a country.

Mike,

I hope you are able to work through the beaurocracy and get your finger healthy. When you are feeling frustrated just tune in to the debate over the chaotic patchwork which constitutes "American health care".

CRAZY! (and many existing plans do not cover that aspect of mental health either!)

Best of luck,

Greg

• 1 month later...

Just got back from hospital. The consultant was very nice, she said it was a ganglion and offered 3 options. Do nowt, drain it, surgery. I opted for syringe with option of further treatment. She drew off some pink slime without anaesthetic and said to keep massaging it and put a plaster on. So, as the meercat says on our TV advert- simples! I can now fully bend it and no pain or stiffness, I'll put it to the test this afternoon.

Incidentally the hosital ward was named after Benjamin Huntsman the Quaker craftsman who invented crucible steel in the mid 1700s and led to much of Sheffield's wealth. There is a small gallery to his memory and I thought about what concertina reeds would have been like without his spring steel. He started as a clockmaker and wanted steel that wouldn't fracture. I seem to remember an article on how coils of spring steel were snipped to get lengths for reed making- quite hazardous it appears. I have an old cutler friend, one of the last 'little mesters' who still uses such old coils for making knife springs.

Michael,

Pleased to hear you received treatment. My best wishes for a full and continuing recovery.

My family has had a checkered history with ganglion cysts. One of my favorite stories is about grandpa taking my dad to the china town doctor who distracted the ten year old long enough to bring a heavy book down on my father's wrist. If there was a reoccurance of the cyst, I never heard about it.

My older brother has not been as lucky. He has had a wrist cyst (say that 10xs quickly!) for the past 30 years that comes and goes. He's been to a number of doctors. I don't remember clearly if surgery was one of the treatments.

I have been more fortunate. My wrist cyst was only evident for a few months when an exhuberant baseball bat swing (No bat contact with the cyst; just the act of doing the swing) popped it. For certain I felt it burst, I may have added an audio memory. That was 30 years ago and it never returned.

I'm not sure what the percentages are concerning return or complete remission. If possible you may want to stay in touch with your health providers as to prevention and therapy. Again, my hopes that this was your last treatment.

Greg

PS. Loved the local steel history and concertina tie in.

• 4 weeks later...

Several weeks on it's still swollen but going down and it's fully flexible and not painful. I can use it for right hand work on concertina and melodeon. Melodeon more than bat squeaks on Anglo, unless I'm playing in F or Dm on C/G. Incidentally I'm workin on low notes on LHS for chords and that is further strengthening the left pinky ( which was weakend by an accident with broken glass.) although all the low D push and F# pul playing has done a lot for that finger over the last few years.

• 3 weeks later...

It's still going strong and feels nice and flexible. i'm using the pinkies on both hands a lot more as I'm working hard on my 'English' style playing to use the far ends and playing in C on the C/G as opposed to mainly in G and D etc for ITM

I seem to be handling the split brain OK ( both for chords and melody and for ITM and 'English'

It's still going strong and feels nice and flexible. i'm using the pinkies on both hands a lot more as I'm working hard on my 'English' style playing to use the far ends and playing in C on the C/G as opposed to mainly in G and D etc for ITM

I seem to be handling the split brain OK ( both for chords and melody and for ITM and 'English'

Good to hear you are getting on. Go! Man, Go!

Greg