Teachers in New Jersey (or meetups with other players)

neilfein

Does anyone know of any instructors in New Jersey or even NY who teach the English concertina? I'm making progress on my own (it's my third instrument) but I'd like to avoid any bad habits that will lead to ergonomic problems down the line. A few lessons with a good teacher, or even meeting up with other, more experienced players might do the trick.

I live in West Central New Jersey, near Clinton, and you are the first person I've come across in NJ who knows what an English Concertina is. I've been at it 7 months using Pauline De Snoo's course (concertina academy). Video instructions were a big help in making sure I was holding and fingering properly. At some point, I may see an accordion teacher - one in Flemington- for bellows control and phrasing help.

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

I live in West Central New Jersey, near Clinton, and you are the first person I've come across in NJ who knows what an English Concertina is. I've been at it 7 months using Pauline De Snoo's course (concertina academy). Video instructions were a big help in making sure I was holding and fingering properly. At some point, I may see an accordion teacher - one in Flemington- for bellows control and phrasing help.

Jim

I've been using videos a bit, but have mostly been following the Jack tutorial. Will check those CC videos out, thanks.

Richard Carlin is a fine English Concertina player in New Jersey. I don't know how to reach him, whether he teaches, or even that he's certainly still in New Jersey (I just googled him and don't see anything recent) but if you contact the Button Box at squeeze@buttonbox.com they will certainly know.

Here is a link for Rachel Hall and some of the other N.E. Squeeze in participants. Rachel seems to be based in the Philadelphia area which, depending on where you are in New Jersey, may or mmay not be convenient.

http://www.buttonbox.com/NCW-13-staff.html

Rachel is an excellent player and has been a concertina instructor at numerous workshops, weekends and camps.

The Button Box would probably have contact information.

Greg

Edited by Greg Jowaisas

• 2 months later...

Hi Mark,

I'm an Anglo player and teacher living in Brooklyn, NY. Not too far from you, an hour+ by car depending on the traffic. Do you ever come down to the city? Check out my skype lesson options... http://jodykruskal.com/concertina_lessons.html

Also, work takes me up near you in NJ from time to time. If schedule allowed, I could meet with you for a lesson or two at your place. I'll be working near you day times at:

Parsippany 3/28

Mahwah 4/17

Ramsey 5/29

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...