Happy St Patrick's Day! :)

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Woo hoo, thanks, Morgana. :rolleyes: :) :rolleyes: :lol: :rolleyes: :)

I, of course, am taking tomorrow off.

I DID try to get the Jewish children's agency I work with to buy into St Pat's day being Jewish, but they just weren't buying it.

I DID try to get the Jewish children's agency I work with to buy into St Pat's day being Jewish, but they just weren't buying it.

Did you offer them a discount?

(Before you all jump on me, it's the stereotype I'm laughing at, not the people.)

And did you play for them your CD by Irish anglo player Charlie Cohen?

(Just don't mention that he's Father Charlie. :D

However, I am told that all the Irish Cohens, Cohns, and Cohans are descended from a Jewish family that settled in Galway in the 12th century.)

The landlord of the pub where we have our session, Jim, is Irish, and it's his proud boast that he's got live music every night this week, vis:

- Monday, our session

- Tuesday, the local folk club

- Wednesday, the monthly Irish session

- Thursday (today), Jim's own band (he's a rather good singer and guitarist)

- Friday, another local band

He's a good lad, is Jim

Chris

Happy St. Patrick’s Day from Kilrush !

It will be my first here, so I’m not too sure what to expect. I don’t suppose the Parade will be as ambitious as the one in Dublin, but that’s no harm. And hopefully there won’t be as many pints drunk as there used to be in London (where there used to be a “lock in” at many of the Irish pubs – which should have been closed for the afternoon), but for some people I expect that the celebrations may yet extend over the weekend ...

I add my wishes for a Happy St. Patrick's Day. Tis' a day I avoid the crowds.

Too many years of St. Paddy's gigs in bars down south where everybody is all of a sudden "Irish" (amazing what a little green food coloring and Budweiser draft can do). How many times can someone deal with well meaning folks with plastic green derbys on their heads, holding a full stein of afore mentioned green brew put their face in your face and ask you to play some "real" Irish music, like "the one about the Silly Unicorn, come on, be a friend." Even "Danny Boy" becomes a horror.

Session members will be joining Spraoi tonight through Saturday at Stone's Public House. Should be a good time for those present. I'll stay ta' home. I've been assured there will be no "green beer" but I still cannot bring myself to cross the door. Perhaps by Saturday I'll go to hear Spraoi...but not tonight.

Even work will be a trial. "You didn't wear green today!"...Pinch. I would love to say, F-12 this man! I'll just close me door an' play some 'chuns and sneak away early. Blessedly Dominique has no notion of this day and we will have a lovely beef stew a Labelle, a fine Gigondas and a lovely soda bread (can't help myself) baked by a dear friend.

Mark:

I feel the sme way. On the street where I work, we have a large "chain" Irish pub. They're holding concerts all day, there's giant tents already up, and the police had speed traps and sobriety check points already going up on my morning commute(6am!). Defintely an "amatuer night" for drinkers, and NONE of the bands play anything Irish!

Greg

Well, I am not doing any of the nonsense.

But a very old gorgeous church has one of the Irish Club's pipe and drum unit come in and play. I saw them on the news last year and knew that I wanted to be there to hear them this year. Can't wait. It's this morning. :)

Well unfortunately my regular Thursday Session is off for tonight... We hold it in the best Irish Bar in town and it will be standing room only by 3 PM today. He will have a paid band today (but one at least that plays Irish music :).

On the other hand, a few of us from the session have a little gig tonight in a local brew pub... we ought to get free beer and food out of it anyway (since we don't actually get paid :)).

--

Bill

How many times can someone deal with well meaning folks with plastic green derbys on their heads, holding a full stein of afore mentioned green brew put their face in your face and ask you to play some "real" Irish music, like "the one about the Silly Unicorn, come on, be a friend."  Even "Danny Boy" becomes a horror.

holding concerts all day, there's giant tents already up, and the police had speed traps and sobriety check points already going up on my morning commute(6am!).  Defintely an "amatuer night" for drinkers, and NONE of the bands play anything Irish!

Well, I am not doing any of the nonsense.

So.. there are reasons enough to wish you all a:

HAPPY ST. PATRICK'S DAY

We do not celebrate this day in The Netherlands and nevertheless I feel happy :)

My wife suggested I do something different to celebrate St. Patricks day, something that I don't already do on a daily basis...

After careful consideration I vacuumed the flat. Then went back to drinking whisky.

Enjoy the day or daze everyone!

At school we've been listening to my Noel Hill and Tony Linman cd all day as part of the music classes I teach. Been singing "Rattlin' Bog" and "I'll tell me ma" just enough times that I'm ready for a break!

Tonight, I'm going to celebrate in a traditional Irish hot tub with my traditional morris dancing woman friends- we're having green salad, limeade, and chocolate fondue with grapes, granny smith apples, and star fruit! But that's as far as I'm taking this day.

I'm sure I'll give the Jeffries a squeeze at some point- though not in the hot tub! ;)

The fife and drum band was superb. Small children to experienced adults. Very fine performance. And a lone bagpiper later. Procession of flags and so on.Rousing and moving and very very nice.

Bit of food afterwards. Nice morning. Met lots of nice people. And the tiny children all dressed up were enchanting.

Ah sigh. I am a happy woman.

Helen :)

Ah, Mark! I just clicked the link to your wife's website...what a beautiful and talented lady! It turns our we have that, at least in common; my wife is also from Montreal. There's just something about Canadian women! :wub:

Heigh ho, the rattlin'bog!

Fed my daughter green bean baby food today in honor of the occasion. She got it all over herself. But I don't think that's what's meant by "wearin' of the green"...

Hope to play some tunes later. May see if the local liquor store carries hard cider.

Mark, "Danny Boy" is a horror to me...most of the time. Unless, of course, it is being played by that great Irish swing band, The Glen O'Miller Orchestra...

edited for typos.

Happy St. Pat's everyone!

Edited by Rhomylly