Tune-o-tron Upgraded

Paul Schwartz

Hi all,

I use a combination of Tune-o-tron and thesession.org to learn my new tunes . I copy and paste the Session version into the Tune-o-tron. With the Q field i can produce the speed i need.

Is there a way to save the slightly modified ABC (no ~ e.g., latest speed ) for next time i want to rehearse?

thanks beforehand

dirk

Hi Dirk

On the main page: http://www.concertina.net/ you can register and log in just like here on the forum. It's a different log in. That allows you to create your own "tunebook", and add tunes to the database. I don't see any reason why there can't be "tune A fast", and a "tune A slow". The information is on the left under TUNE-O-TRON. It's a nice feature I've not used yet.

Thanks

Leo

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im asking that if I convert o matic my ABC pipe tunes will they be in the correct format for the concertina?:rolleyes:
Bob, there is no concertina format on the note staff (stave) of sheet music.

When you have a page of sheet music you play the notes on it that your instrument has and don't play the notes on it your instrument doesn't have, hopefully. :lol: If too many of the notes are unplayable because they're not in your instrument, then the music's out of your range and you'll need to figure out how to adapt it or move on to something else. When notes comprise a chord, you play the notes of the chord you can or play inversions and substitutions for the chord. There is music that's playable on your instruments and there's music that's unplayable as written but may be adaptable when your skill and understanding increase.

A list of keys and modes has been posted that will be suitable within the range of your instruments. There is no concertina format. If you insist on trying to play pipe and fiddle tunes only from sheet music rather than playing the tunes as you hear them from someone skilled at playing them, you'll need to learn how to read and interpret sheet music as it relates to the notes available on your keyboard.

http://www.dolmetsch.com/musictheory.htm

Learning how to write in abc notation will help you to understand note values and keys also.

http://www.lesession.co.uk/abc/abc_notation.htm

Is there a way to save the slightly modified ABC (no ~ e.g., latest speed ) for next time i want to rehearse?
If you save the Conver-a-matic midi file to your desktop as a QuickTime file, you can use QuickTime's A/V controls to regulate the speed of the tune without ever needing to modify the Q:field again, unless you want to play the tune slower than half-speed or faster than 3x the modified speed. Windows Media Player and other music-playing software may offer similar options. I'm using an iMac. Edited by Laitch

Hi Dirk

On the main page: http://www.concertina.net/ you can register and log in just like here on the forum. It's a different log in. That allows you to create your own "tunebook", and add tunes to the database. I don't see any reason why there can't be "tune A fast", and a "tune A slow". The information is on the left under TUNE-O-TRON. It's a nice feature I've not used yet.

Thanks

Leo

Hi Leo,

i did use this possibility for a while. I put some interesting tunes in CN 'my tune book'. But i started to use a combination of the session and CN because the CN list is not in alphabetic order so i lost much time, and some times the version of CN differs from the Session version.

Dirk

I use a combination of Tune-o-tron and thesession.org to learn my new tunes . I copy and paste the Session version into the Tune-o-tron. With the Q field i can produce the speed i need.

Copy and paste the abc into notepad and save it as a .txt file, you can copy and paste the contents into the Tune-O-Tron whenver you like. I keep all of my files in a folder aptly named ABC on my desktop, this has sub folders for specific types of music.

Pete.

Hi all,

thanks beforehand

dirk

Suggest you download ABC Navigator then you will have an off line player/editor/manuscript printer/set builder etc. It also has a speed knob you you can vary the speed without editing the file.

Available here ABC Navigator

ps It's free!

Just paste the copied abc file to your note-pad or MSWord and name it. You then have the abc file stored in your documents and you can modify them anytime without having to go back to the original source.

Hello Daniel, Lester, Pete, and others

thanks for helping me out of trouble.

I am going to use two kinds of word documents: the tune-o-tron version (to copy and paste) and the personified version to read (accidentals, CD references, ^ and , signs, more spaces, comments, etc)

Dirk

• 8 months later...

Is there a problem with the Convert-A-Matic at the moment? For the last two days I've been unable to get it to play back a midi, it produces a .pdf with no problem but everything freezes up when I click midi playback. Incidentally, none of the other on line converters will run midi for me either. :wacko:

Is there a problem with the Convert-A-Matic at the moment? For the last two days I've been unable to get it to play back a midi, it produces a .pdf with no problem but everything freezes up when I click midi playback. Incidentally, none of the other on line converters will run midi for me either. :wacko:

No problems here. If none of the on line converters work, it's probably a problem with the plugin in Firefox. Can you play the midi files outside your browser? (Right mouse button on the [Midi music file] link, then "save link as....", save to desktop and start from there)

Can you play the midi files outside your browser? (Right mouse button on the [Midi music file] link, then "save link as....", save to desktop and start from there)

Yep, no problems with that. I'll try viewing with IE tommorrow (yuk!), then I'll try reinstalling Firefox. Thanks Leonard.

Pete. :)

• 3 weeks later...