Patek Concertina

Sherri

Hi everyone,

I am a newby here, I would like to get some information, hopefully someone could help me.

I have 3 patek original concertinas, The wife of Rudy Patek(a dear friend of ours) has passed on about a month ago, and has left these in her estate. Which was left to my mother, another person, and myself. The lawyers are asking us to find the value and to sell them. Well I have been doing research about them, which most of it I know. I will be going to my mothers to look and check these out, and would like to know if there is anything special, besides the looks, names or numbers on them, that I should look for, to sell and advertise them. I do know they are to be in excellent condition,(not kept in a basement or garage). These are in their original cases. And from what the will has on it, is there is 1 grey single or double reed, 1 multicolor triple reed, and 1 white quadruple reed. I do believe the one is a Pearl Queen. In a few days I will probably have some pic. Any info. would be appreciated.

Thank you, Sherri

Sherri,

I own a 1926 Silberhorn chemitzer and collect, repair and play several styles of concertinas.

I found an excellant reference book for chemnitzers. "The Chemnitzer Concertina: A History and an Accolade", by Laverne J Rippley. Maybe you can locate a copy online or in a nearby library. I highly recommend it. I recall it has a sizable amount of info on Patek chemnitzers. Good Luck! Kerry

Sherri,

I own a 1926 Silberhorn chemitzer and collect, repair and play several styles of concertinas.

I found an excellant reference book for chemnitzers. "The Chemnitzer Concertina: A History and an Accolade", by Laverne J Rippley. Maybe you can locate a copy online or in a nearby library. I highly recommend it. I recall it has a sizable amount of info on Patek chemnitzers. Good Luck! Kerry

Hello KerryFrank,

Thanks for replying. I do believe that person contacted my mother, and told her he was interested in buying them. The problem...What are they really worth?

Sherri

Hard to say. There aren't a lot of us here who know much about Chemnitzer concertinas, and the market isn't that easy to follow. You can see some asking prices for Chemnitzers here and here, but asking prices are of course not necessarily the same as sale prices and I don't see any Pateks listed in either place at the moment. A Patek recently sold on eBay for $750: here is the listing. Pearl Queens turn up fairly often on eBay -- here is one completed sale for $325 and here is another for $300.

Hope that helps,

Daniel

Sherri,

Hello KerryFrank,

Thanks for replying. I do believe that person contacted my mother, and told her he was interested in buying them. The problem...What are they really worth?

Sherri

Sherri,

Sherri,

In the bibliography of the book is a bunch of chemnitzer organizations, mostly in IL & WI. They may very well know what the contemporary market might bear, price-wise, for your Chemnitzers. Good Luck! Kerry

• 2 weeks later...

Sherri,

I only drop by here occasionally, so I'm sorry if this comes too late to help you...

If you'd like to purchase the book mentioned by KerryFrank, it's for sale on the concertinamusic.com merchandise section.

There are some other resources on that site that may help you if you haven't yet found them. You might gain insight by looking up Patek serial numbers in the vicinity of yours. There's also an index of clubs (where you'll find me listed) and you might find one in your area.

All of the below will affect value, and the Patek brand name ended up on many variations:

Age/Condition

Tuning (in tune with itself? In tune to modern standard A = 440 Hz?)

Key

number of buttons (probably 52, but maybe 51, also known as 104- and 102-key respectively)

Voicing (number of reeds and their relation to eachother)

Is the action metal or wood?

What kind of reeds ("long plate", "pin", or "wax"/"accordion")?

If you can get someone well-known to confirm that it was built by Otto Schlicht with reeds made by John Friedl, you may have a treasure. Unfortunately, there are few people with that ability and two of them passed away last year. I might suggest contacting one of the people from Echo Concertina, one of the remaining active builders.

Sherri,

I only drop by here occasionally, so I'm sorry if this comes too late to help you...

If you'd like to purchase the book mentioned by KerryFrank, it's for sale on the concertinamusic.com merchandise section.

There are some other resources on that site that may help you if you haven't yet found them. You might gain insight by looking up Patek serial numbers in the vicinity of yours. There's also an index of clubs (where you'll find me listed) and you might find one in your area.

All of the below will affect value, and the Patek brand name ended up on many variations:

Age/Condition

Tuning (in tune with itself? In tune to modern standard A = 440 Hz?)

Key

number of buttons (probably 52, but maybe 51, also known as 104- and 102-key respectively)

Voicing (number of reeds and their relation to eachother)

Is the action metal or wood?

What kind of reeds ("long plate", "pin", or "wax"/"accordion")?

If you can get someone well-known to confirm that it was built by Otto Schlicht with reeds made by John Friedl, you may have a treasure. Unfortunately, there are few people with that ability and two of them passed away last year. I might suggest contacting one of the people from Echo Concertina, one of the remaining active builders.

Hello Theodore,

I would like to thank you for all the information, Anything at this point will help. These concertinas were to be sold to Hengel but he passed on before Esther Patek. I really don't know why Esther didn't sell these to him way back when.

Well Thanks much and I will keep all this info. on hand. Hopefully I will be able to find a trust worth person to take a look at these.

Thanks, Sherri