Is It Just Me?

What's has happened with these Pathe clips? I used to be able to just view them online, but now it seems that in order to view anything I have to

• Click on the "Download Video" button (after concluding that that's the only button likely to get me a view without purchase).
  • On a new page that appears, select my "country of residence". (This particular video seems to be listed identically three times on this page, though with neither means nor reason to select among the three listings, but that's a side issue.)
  • Click on the "Proceed" button, which brings up yet another page requiring input.
  • The required data are:
    • Title
    • Full name
    • Email address
    • Street address
    • City, and
    • Postcode

That's the point at which I balked.

Why are they collecting this information? How will it be used? And what's the point, since I doubt that they are able to tell whether the person filling in the information is telling the truth or lying, anyway?

So instead of simply clicking on a start button for an inspirational view, now after a series of previously unnecessary actions I'm left wondering whether I want to add my personal data to yet another database over which I have no control... or perhaps the moral dilemma of whether I should avoid that risk by simply filling in fictitious information. But until I decide, it seems I can't view any of their neat stuff.

Another annoyance, though one I'm sure many would consider trivial, is that "Title" is a required bit of personal data. Furthermore, one must select an entry from their limited but incomplete list:

• Mr
  • Mrs
  • Miss
  • Ms
  • Dr
  • Professor
  • Reverend
  • Sir

Note that this list includes neither "None of the above" nor "None". But I am Jim Lucas, not "Mr. Jim Lucas".

Also, that list requires most individuals -- those who are not "Dr", "Professor", or "Reverend" -- to make an implicit declaration of their sex, a requirement that I believe is illegal in some countries (I'm not sure about the UK, or more broadly, the EU). Furthermore, it requires some individuals to lie in order to continue, since they possess official titles which aren't in the list... "Lady" and "Father" (not the same as "Reverend") among them.

Jim,

It is a nuisance, and an intrusion, though perhaps a small price to pay for the material that's there - when you can find it! (For example - Not all the concertina-related material is listed correctly, but I checked under "accordion" and "squeezebox" too. ;) )

But one potential problem you maybe didn't think of is concerning the requirement that you must give them a Postcode/ZIP, and here in Ireland we don't have any! :huh:

However, fortunately it will accept "NONE" in that field, but I've had problems with other websites that will only accept a "valid" Postcode/ZIP, and sometimes I've been forced to lie... :(

Mind you, the seeming vagueness of some Irish addresses appears to cause more problems for senders of mail in foreign countries than it does for an Post (the Irish Post Office). Would you believe that I've recently started renting new business premises in Kilrush, but nobody (including my landlord, the Post Office or the Town Hall) can tell me the street number for my shop - and it's on Francis Street, the main street!!! :rolleyes:

Edited by Stephen Chambers

Guest Mick Diles
...Another annoyance, though one I'm sure many would consider trivial, is that "Title" is a required bit of personal data. Furthermore, one must select an entry from their limited but incomplete list:
  • Mr
  • Mrs
  • Miss
  • Ms
  • Dr
  • Professor
  • Reverend
  • Sir

Note that this list includes neither "None of the above" nor "None". But I am Jim Lucas, not "Mr. Jim Lucas".

Also, that list requires most individuals -- those who are not "Dr", "Professor", or "Reverend" -- to make an implicit declaration of their sex, a requirement that I believe is illegal in some countries (I'm not sure about the UK, or more broadly, the EU). Furthermore, it requires some individuals to lie in order to continue, since they possess official titles which aren't in the list... "Lady" and "Father" (not the same as "Reverend") among them.

That's how it starts... :ph34r: :ph34r:

It is a nuisance ,but providing you make sure that you are requesting the FREE Clip then no money changes hands.One site I went on wanted all my debit card details up front ,at least this site is not requesting that information.

I recommend the free Tommy Elliott clip.

Al

Sorry Stephen

It's too large a price for me. On general principle, I refuse any request for information on the internet. After reading their privacy policy, it confirms my desire to not supply anything, for any purpose.

"To comply with British and European Union laws, we have to make clear that your details may be supplied to third parties, possibly outside the European Economic Area. Information may also be sent outside the European Economic Area for processing, either by ourselves or by other companies.

By using this site you consent to both of the above types of transfer"

There is a strong probability that the "third parties", can and do distribute the information as they are not bound by the licensing agreement between Pathe and me.

Thanks

Leo

There is a strong probability that the "third parties", can and do distribute the information as they are not bound by the licensing agreement between Pathe and me.

Oh well, looks like I may be getting some junk mail from exotic places - and I'll know the source if my postcode is given as "NONE" (eBay can't deal with not having a postcode either, so they make it "default"), not forgetting lots of Spam spam spam spam. Lovely spam! Wonderful spam! :unsure:

It's those Vikings! :rolleyes:

Stephen

I like SPAM. Great fried with eggs. A great invention. I also was thinking of other nasty things a little more criminal: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phishing

Even though there is a lot of information out there already, I just don't want to contribute, especially when I don't have any control over it.

Thanks

Leo

Stephen

... I also was thinking of other nasty things a little more criminal: Phishing

Even though there is a lot of information out there already, I just don't want to contribute, especially when I don't have any control over it.

Leo,

I understand where you're coming from and I generally try to avoid collaborating with people who are trying to obtain unnecessary information about me - including Tesco's!

But in this case, the equation comes out differently for me and I'm prepared to "pay the price" to see some of these precious film clips - but that's just me!

Anyway, I don't get enough phishing emails to report these days... whistle.gif

Cheers,