New Ebay Scam

Paul Read

I bought this a few years ago. This is a scam!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...tp%3D%26fvi%3D1

Reported but still there!

Over $2,000 now...............

Three days on, and they still haven't removed it. And thanks to eBay's thieves' charter (sorry, privacy protection policy) it's impossible to warn bidders. It seems that their identity is being protected at the expense of their bank balance.

And it's still there.

It looks like a classic case of eBay identity theft - an old account with good feedback that was only used to make a handful of purchases back in 2000/2001, but not at all in the intervening 7 years. The real owner of the account is maybe not too aware of today's "phishing" techniques, and has given away their password to a fake log-in page they got a link to in an email asking them to confirm their eBay identity, for "security" purposes. :(

Mind you, a common giveaway in these circumstances would be finding that they're offering a whole load of high-end items, when you click on View seller's other items, but in this case they're only listing the Aeola. Modest thieves? :o

Edited by Stephen Chambers

I reported it too, saying that the concertina belonged to a friend of mine, and that it wasn't the seller's to sell. Fairly unambiguous, you would have thought. But no. The reply I got was along the lines of "These are serious allegations -- we can only take action in the case of stolen items if we have a police report." Silly sods. :angry:

I bought this a few years ago. This is a scam!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...tp%3D%26fvi%3D1

Paul,

Do you still have this box in your posession? If so, send a pic of it with the serial number to the idiots at ebay.

Maybe we should all start sending messages to the seller saying that we know this is a scam and that it has been reported to ebay. Maybe they'll pull it down themselves.

Here's my reply from eBay:

Thank you for writing eBay's SafeHarbor Department about a listing or

seller you would like us to investigate for fraudulent activity. We are

concerned about this type of activity and want to assure you that we

will review your report as soon as possible, usually within 72 hours.

Of course, the item will have been "sold" before the 72 hours is up -- Tom

Paul:

So wherein lies the problem?

I just put a bid on your concertina for 10,000$

If I win, would you be so kind as to send it my way ASAP? I want to relist it.

Best - Ed Stander

No problem Ed. I'll send it as soon as the cheque clears.

Back in 2005 there was another thread involving this very concertina; It can be found here

The link doesn't work in my browser, but this one does: http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=3107

Ok, I just reported this directly through the online "live chat." The cust service rep said that she has reported it and that it will be cancelled. We shall see.

Wait...

If it gets canceled, do I still win?

Ed.

We all win.............

It is now over 4 Grand. I wonder, though, if the brand new high bidder isn't someone from ebay bidding in order to catch this scammer. After all, what good does it do to cancel the auction before the crime has been committed? The actual crime is accepting payment for something you don't have.

Nah, that can't be it. That would be the sensible thing to do. <_<