Lachenal 'New Model' 64 key Maccann Duet - 1898

Sprunghub

This is a somewhat regrettable listing for sale of this instrument which was purchased through the good auspices of the Forum just one year ago for my wife.  From the outset it appeared that she may have some difficulties 'handling it' due to having very small hands and so it has proved to the extent that it is actually causing her discomfort to persist with.

It is, as per the title, a 64 key, Lachenal 'New Model' Mccann Duet, information supplied at the time of purchase indicates that the lay-out suggests it was an exhibition or special order model, the serial number is 1865.

It is typical in it's construction, black ebonised ends, silver buttons, rivet hinged levers.  The bellows are in excellent order and it is very air-tight.  All buttons sound as they should and are appropriately responsive.  There are signs of superficial wear to the finish around some more regularly used buttons (historic) and one small piece of edge veneer missing which, as I understand it has been missing for many years. 

The instrument comes with the original hand straps which are verging on un-serviceable due to age - previous / old stitched repairs are evident.  The straps currently fitted are home produced for 'squirrel sized' palms, but it will also be provided with a brand new set of leather 'blocked' hand straps from Mark Lloyd-Adey which have not been fitted.

The original Lachenal lined leather case will come with it.  It is still viable, but more so for display and the instrument itself has the benefit of a purpose built lined/padded concertina case.  I am going to 'borrow with pride' ( aka 'pinch' ) a couple of links to the instrument in action as posted with the original sale listing.

http://www.nonce.dk/4C.net/Maccannic/TG2-MP3-003 Maruxa.mp3

http://www.nonce.dk/4C.net/Maccannic/TG2-MP3-001 Argeers,Christina.mp3

Any questions, please make contact by PM.  I do intend to list on Ebay in due course if no one within the Forum family is interested, but it will not be for a week or two as we are Wessex Folk Festival next week.  I would be happy to post to the Uk, Europe,  or 'Worldwide' at cost and at an agreed level of insurance bearing in mind the limitations in cover for damage in transit. 

I am not sure I known enough to put a value on the instrument other than to seek to cover our outlay, so would be happy to find a new home for it at £1500.  Am having some trouble with image loading, so hopefully pictures will follow in #2   

Edited by Sprunghub

Entirely irrelevant to the sale of what looks to be a lovely instrument (if I were thinking of taking up the MacCann...): do you happen to own a Triumph motorcycle manufactured between 1946 and 1955?

11 hours ago, jdms said:

Entirely irrelevant to the sale of what looks to be a lovely instrument (if I were thinking of taking up the MacCann...): do you happen to own a Triumph motorcycle manufactured between 1946 and 1955?

Did, rather than do, a 1952 TRW, upgraded (!?) from rigid at sometime before it came to me with a 'sprunghub' rear wheel.  Given the improvement in rear end suspension 'weighed' - excuse the pun - against the weight of a sprunghub wheel, it was like carrying an anchor, which was apt as it was an ex R.N. bike.

• Like 1

Yes, I was the seller last year (and it's me playing in the two sound files, generously hosted by Jim as I'm too technically clueless to set that up by myself).  I can confirm that this is a lovely and interesting instrument.  It was eyeballed some years ago by Colin Dipper, who was highly impressed and valued it at £2000 retail.

I have since moved on to something rather larger and more in keeping with what I'm trying to do, but I spent 10 or so very happy years with this concertina.

I might add that it was a pleasure dealing with 'Sprunghub' (and Mrs. S.), and I wish them success.

Edited by maccannic
edited to add: financial contribution to this website duly made.

2 minutes ago, maccannic said:

and it's me playing in the two sound files, generously hosted by Jim as I'm too technically clueless to set that up by myself

I had already guessed that much in the meantime, due to the naming of the files ?

so the praise goes to you...

Best wishes - Wolf

• 2 weeks later...

Now listed on Ebay, at a price reflecting the additional fee's a sale there would incur and for an offer at the top end, to incorporate Freepost Worldwide.  Fully insured post to/in the Uk is nigh on £100 and to the States is £130 or so at the weight.

The offer to Forum members at around the £1,500 remains, with postal options by negotiation and we are still happy to consider "offers on" if not too far 'off'.

• 4 weeks later...