Posted (edited)

Very nice.

What may have been the very first youtube video of a single person playing a concertina was the one Danny Chapman (“Ratface” in these forums) posted of himself in 2006 playing the same tune on his tenor-treble english concertina. I have learned his arrangement on the Hayden (although I have not recorded it).

The original video is no longer on youtube, but he has replaced it with this.

Edited to add: Looking at it again, I think it is the original video, renamed to include an alternate title for the tune.

Edited by David Barnert
  • Like 1

Thank you Perspiration and David! At first it's the Danny Chapman's version which makes me want to try this tune on the duet and when I was searching about it I remember also to listen to your nice rendition along with many beautiful concertina versions on sound cloud. But I can't find the link anymore. Maybe do you remember about those recordings on sound cloud?

I have learned his arrangement on the Hayden (although I have not recorded it).

... I remember also to listen to your nice rendition along with many beautiful concertina versions on sound cloud. But I can't find the link anymore. Maybe do you remember about those recordings on sound cloud?

My goodness! I had entirely forgotten that I did, indeed, record it and post it on SoundCloud. It is essentially Danny’s version with some minor modifications (voice leading adjustments in the cadences).

https://soundcloud.com/dr-sleep-1/roslin-castle

• Like 1

Merci Thomas! I like this one very very much, with beautiful harmonies and more rythmic feeling. Maybe Roslin was half french!

If there is a chance somedays I'd like to take a look at your custom duet and listen to Emmanuel's version as well. Did he play it on concertina or diatonic accordion?

Posted (edited)

I will probably meet Emmanuel next week. Perhaps he will let me make a video of him playing this tune (on his franglo) for C.net!

Cheers

Edited by tona
  • Like 1

It would be great! Mes amitiés to Emmanuel, he has a huge knowledge about concertina history and making process and always kindly gave me some good advice about the instrument!

Didier

Hi Didier, as I still recall some of us playing this tune as „TOTM“ some time ago, it can be said that your version is standing out in its delicate harmonies, lovely counterpoint and smooth timing. Much enjoyed!

Best wishes - 🐺 

• Like 1

Hi Wolf, thank you for your comment and I wanted to ask you about the link to your version but I just realized now that you had already add it here. Nice to listen to all the possibilities of interpretation with the same single tune! And I'd like to know if you are living in Germany and if you use to attend the concertina meeting there?

Best,

Didie

Hi Didier, as I actually didn‘t provide a link here (apart from my signature, which seems to have hidden away in the meantime) as yet, here is what I recall as my „final“ version back then (a - from my side - rare single line playing, adding harmonies at some point later, therefore labeled „jointed“).

Re concertina meetings in Germany, I have in fact just recently attended the annual gathering in Wendland, more in the north (even if still an over three-hours drive southward from where I live), whereas you might refer to the other meeting which as I seem to recall is annually held much closer to France (wasn’t it somewhere in Baden-Württemberg?).

However, if you should plan to head for Kassau, Wendland, I might well be there next year again (apart from a perennial conflict with the Scandinavian Squeeze-In in Skåne, Sweden, which unfortunately uses to take place on a quite near date every year).

Best wishes - 🐺